Russell Milton interview

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
After stepping up for a third time: http://bit.ly/MiltonCaretaker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Assume he is playing with a straight bat re: not talking about future candidates etc.

Noted the comments about Hussey and Long, and young players still learning.
Robin
Genuinely do not want to see Milton having a single game in charge, if he's managing on Saturday then I question the reasoning behind sacking GJ.
Artemis
But sounds like he either think he really has learned sufficient from Gary and can genuinely step up or is doing a fine job to inspire confidence that everything will be alright with him in charge.

What I would like to know is whether Pete Johnson is still around doing the leg work on loan targets.
Artemis
Robin wrote:Genuinely do not want to see Milton having a single game in charge, if he's managing on Saturday then I question the reasoning behind sacking GJ.
Well, that's where we are. I think some folks should be careful what they wish for.
Horteng
Russell’s a nice guy but he’s proved in the past he hasn’t got it to be a manager

Replacement needed ASAP
Robin
Russ record is pretty atrocious as caretaker, agree nice guy but the board need to see sense.
Another_FoD_Robin
Robin wrote:Russ record is pretty atrocious as caretaker, agree nice guy but the board need to see sense.
Well volunteered pal! Make sure you turn up at The Seasons before 8am tomorrow. Don’t want to be late on the first day now.

However back to reality, UNLESS the board already agreed terms with someone like Buckle when MY was still manager then I can’t see how a perm manager can be in charge for Saturday..... So we have no choice but to get behind the squad and WHOEVER the man in charge is. We need to kick on our season and quickly before we fall too far behind.
Robin
Then WHY sack Gary Johnson last night if we are forced to have Russ in charge, make no mistake we are a lot worse off with Russ than GJ.
Another_FoD_Robin
Like I said don’t be late tomorrow.

I am sure the board have their reasons for sacking him last night. I can only presume GJ was told he needed three points last night or he’d be gone. After all he didn’t sound too confident in his interview after the game. So when would you have sacked him Robin? End of this season? As you are making it sound like whenever it happened it would be making us worse off.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Genuinely do not want to see Milton having a single game in charge, if he's managing on Saturday then I question the reasoning behind sacking GJ.
Get your questions ready then!
Robin
Another_FoD_Robin wrote:Like I said don’t be late tomorrow.

I am sure the board have their reasons for sacking him last night. I can only presume GJ was told he needed three points last night or he’d be gone. After all he didn’t sound too confident in his interview after the game. So when would you have sacked him Robin? End of this season? As you are making it sound like whenever it happened it would be making us worse off.
I would have sacked him on Saturday myself but feel the board need to act very quickly and should have a successor lined up. My point about being worse off purely relates to time when Milton is in charge of the first team.
paperboy

think everyone is agreed that Russ is a nice guy,but that doesn't make him manager material.

I'm worried that if we perform well on Saturday the board might start to consider promoting from within.

Personally if that were to be the case I would prefer to take a chance on Aaron Downes.

The club statement that Russ is in charge " for the foreseeable future" is of great concern.
Player2 Has Joined
Robin wrote:Then WHY sack Gary Johnson last night if we are forced to have Russ in charge, make no mistake we are a lot worse off with Russ than GJ.
Maybe the 30 or so consistently chanting anti Johnson songs was making it too toxic an atmosphere to continue with GJ.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:.....

think everyone is agreed that Russ is a nice guy,but that doesn't make him manager material.

I'm worried that if we perform well on Saturday the board might start to consider promoting from within.

Personally if that were to be the case I would prefer to take a chance on Aaron Downes.

The club statement that Russ is in charge " for the foreseeable future" is of great concern.
So second game in a row where some fans are worried we might win.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Player2 Has Joined wrote:
Robin wrote:Then WHY sack Gary Johnson last night if we are forced to have Russ in charge, make no mistake we are a lot worse off with Russ than GJ.
Maybe the 30 or so consistently chanting anti Johnson songs was making it too toxic an atmosphere to continue with GJ.
You’d hope the Board could rise above that.
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
You’d hope the Board could rise above that.
..teenagers are entitled to their view as much as anyone else,but there's no doubt that their chants hastened Gary's departure.
Player2 Has Joined
paperboy wrote:
..teenagers are entitled to their view as much as anyone else,but there's no doubt that their chants hastened Gary's departure.
I don't think anyone's saying they're not entitled to their opinion, however if people put as much effort in getting behind the team the moment things get tough, rather than turning against them, (Cranston, Grimes, Johnson and a few others I'm sure) you can't help but wonder if we'd still be in the same position.

Maybe I'm getting old, but the need for instant gratification and a figure to blame when things don't go right seems to be bordering on the absurd these days.
Ralph
Probably. It can't have helped matters. Totally wrong how the board did it and they should hang their heads in shame. We need to get used to the idea that PB's safe hands are no longer steering the ship.
paperboy
Ralph wrote:
Probably. It can't have helped matters. Totally wrong how the board did it and they should hang their heads in shame. We need to get used to the idea that PB's safe hands are no longer steering the ship.
Yep,the board haven't covered themselves in glory so far-first there was the ticket pricing fiasco for the Colchester match, then they upset a major shareholder with their shabby treatment of someone who was entitled to be afforded a more dignified exit.

Now they need to show better judgement with their next appointment.