JP confirms Pete Johnson to continue in role.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
JP had confirmed on Twitter than PJ will continue in role as head of recruitment.

Makes sense seeing as we only have a week or so left to try and recruit strikers!
Lord Elpuz
Excellent news. That is a very positive decision, and the correct one.
Ralph
Well that is good news. Good to have Pete on board still
Ihearye
Pretty telling, given the sanctimonious outrage on here, re the boards actions. That he decided to stay, rather than walk in protest.
Robin
Very decent of him especially with the loan window approaching, as concerned as I am with the link to McGurk we still need decent strikers.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Pretty telling, given the sanctimonious outrage on here, re the boards actions. That he decided to stay, rather than walk in protest.
He is a professional. Same way Gary hasn’t made any public statements. They accept and carry on.

Shows the Board must have been satisfied with his recruitment to date.
Robin
Our recruitment overall this summer has been pretty good I'd say it's largely the lack of recruitment upfront and no clear shape/formation that are problem.
horlickfanclub
Well done Pete.
Ralph
Makes me think that if Pete is staying then Gary will probably retire
asl
Ralph wrote:Makes me think that if Pete is staying then Gary will probably retire
I'm pretty sure I remember him saying that he intended CTFC to be his last gig.
andgarod
I hope that Gary leaves management
I have a relation who the same problem as Gary and he has never quite fully recovered
95% but slightly different outlook on life
Then there was the triple by pass that again has a quick pick up but confidence
Then there was his brothers death

All these will affect confidence and what with the stress of the job it must be hard when things dont go the way they are supposed to

May I wish GJ all the best health in the future and that the are good memories at WR as well as bad

Do a bit more punditry and enjoy yourself Gary life is too short to be miserable

Thank you

And a word to Pete get the striker in !!!!!!
Andy
Quick question - why is everyone so glad that he is staying when its the recruitment that has failed us at the moment for a striker???

It was not just Gary that has failed to get a striker but perhaps the failure of recruitment too?

I'm not saying he should go - just interested to know what people are thinking.
Shade
Andy wrote:Quick question - why is everyone so glad that he is staying when its the recruitment that has failed us at the moment for a striker???

It was not just Gary that has failed to get a striker but perhaps the failure of recruitment too?

I'm with you on that.
horlickfanclub
Some of Brother Pete's recommendations have turned up trumps but it was up to Brother Gary to balance squad. I see no reason to not retain Pete. By staying he proves that he is his own man and I respect that. Although if Gary Johnson gets a new job in a few months time Pete will probably join him.
Lord Elpuz
Andy wrote:Quick question - why is everyone so glad that he is staying when its the recruitment that has failed us at the moment for a striker???

In all honesty, the problem seems to be that Agents and other Clubs can smell the Eisa money and have either asked for a large transfer fee or an unrealistic salary. Whatever anyone now thinks of Gary Johnson, he was always very prudent with his budget and would not pay over the odds. Pete Johnson would have produced a long list of available or potentially available strikers, but that’s where it ends for him, as he doesn’t sign the players, he just finds them. He’s clearly done his job otherwise he would not still be there.
Robin
Also worth noting under GJ and PJ we signed Mullins and Hussey two fantastic defenders at this level.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Also worth noting under GJ and PJ we signed Mullins and Hussey two fantastic defenders at this level.
Yup, we needed to replace two of the most derided players, Grimes and Cranston, and Mullins and Hussey were two of the best in L2 in those positions. Great signings and early, and their agent fees, wages and signing on fees probably used a fair chunk of the Pell money.