Sack the Board

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

AlanTuring
It was always going to be a nervous time for us after losing Paul Baker. He made his mistakes like we all do but he truly was a 'safe pair of hands'. However, I was not expecting such ineptitude so quickly from our new man.

Whatever your views on GJ as the manager, the timing is so poor that it is almost unbelievable. The two major decisions that AW has made since being appointed is to sell our best player with almost no time left to bring in an adequate replacement and to sack the manager who was rebuilding a team, giving his replacement no time at all to find new players. The real danger to a football club is not a dodgy manager, relegation or being second best to your local rival. No, the real danger is a poor leader and a weak set of directors. It is too early to be certain, but it is looking like that is exactly what we have got.

Could someone please start the ground work for the up coming campaign to rid us of this disaster?

Thanks,

Alan
Ralph
Really? Lol
East End Robin
Not the greatest timing I agree, but bit premature for this, surely?
AlanTuring
East End Robin wrote:Not the greatest timing I agree, but bit premature for this, surely?
Probably a bit early, as I acknowledged in the original post, but all it takes is for the appointment of some 5 a-side friend of the chairman for serious questions to be asked. Assuming that is just a silly rumour, then I admit we have to give him/them time but the omens aren't good. Hold on to your hats, it could be interesting times :-)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Not the whole board; at least two of them were bemused “bemused” by the sacking, to quote someone I trust who was speaking to PB and two Directors yesterday.
Lord Elpuz
We are now in a moment that will attract intense scrutiny, as the Club takes its next step. One hopes there is a keen master plan well advanced behind the scenes and that the events of the last few days have been a while in the planning. If there is no master plan forthcoming, then those events since the Carlisle defeat would imply a knee-jerk response to terrace mob rule. That would be a great pity and a cause for serious concern for the future of the Club. If we have a Board that responds in this manner to the baying mob, that is surely a sign of worse to come.

A most wise counsel once informed me that “to seek the reasons for trouble with a Team, look no further than the Board room”.

Proper decisive action and leadership now has to be demonstrated well above the pseudo-decisive action of sacking Gary Johnson.
arobinsfan
My wife, my son and I paid £1500 over two seasons to watch boring c!#p football so don't talk of terrace mob rule to me or about me, glad he's gone you lot make me bloody sick. My family has given to this club over fifty years or so has much as Paul Baker as given in percentage terms of income. Standing in the poring rain freezing cold watching non league football, and you call us terrace mob, calling yourself Lord Elpuz. Paul Baker is not the be all and end all of this club, he made at least two very bad decisions and we were relegated to non league football under is watch.
Lord Elpuz
arobinsfan wrote:My wife, my son and I paid £1500 over two seasons to watch boring c!#p football so don't talk of terrace mob rule to me or about me, glad he's gone you lot make me bloody sick. My family has given to this club over fifty years or so has much as Paul Baker as given in percentage terms of income. Standing in the poring rain freezing cold watching non league football, and you call us terrace mob, calling yourself Lord Elpuz. Paul Baker is not the be all and end all of this club, he made at least two very bad decisions and we were relegated to non league football under is watch.
Paul Baker could well turn out to have been the be-all-and-end-all of this Club. And if the current Board do not act quickly and decisively, which was the main point of my post that you clearly missed, then the mob frenzy will get even uglier.

Without Paul Baker we would not have a Football League Club. Frankly, I’m surprised at anyone kicking out at Baker, but responses of that nature are symptomatic of mob behaviour. No respect, no gratitude, but a demand for a greater return from your outlay because you’ve stood out in the cold and rain for 50 years (hey, that’s UK football, change your allegiance to indoor bowls if you can’t hack it), ‘giving as much to the club (proportionately) as Paul Baker’. Really now, are you serious??? For 30 of those 50 years we’ve been non-League, and you are therefore implying you were happier before Paul Baker came along? Think about what you are saying, before attacking the best Chairman this Club will ever see. I really don’t care whether you attack my user-name, but Paul Baker does not deserve yours or anyone’s ingratitude.
tunnelvision
arobinsfan wrote:My wife, my son and I paid £1500 over two seasons to watch boring c!#p football so don't talk of terrace mob rule to me or about me, glad he's gone you lot make me bloody sick. My family has given to this club over fifty years or so has much as Paul Baker as given in percentage terms of income. Standing in the poring rain freezing cold watching non league football, and you call us terrace mob, calling yourself Lord Elpuz. Paul Baker is not the be all and end all of this club, he made at least two very bad decisions and we were relegated to non league football under is watch.
I largely agree with this, although have the upmost respect for Paul Baker and all the hard work that he's put into the club. I'm also sick of all those already criticising AW for knee-jerk reactions, whilst now wanting decisive action - surely that's what he's just done! He's given Gary the chance to rectify last seasons poor results, but acted swiftly when there was little sign of any improvement this season.

Let's give AW a chance before condemning his actions.
Prolific nut
Good post, Alan.

I have been shocked at the cut-throat events of this week. Cheltenham Town, that club we have fondly supported and looked up to as our family club, "dear club, what have you done?"

Yes, we've seen the "customers not fans" allegations of recent months. It's not been going swimmingly on the pitch. The board are acutely aware of displeasure around and about the place, GJ, ticket pricing, the pot of gold etc. etc.

But it seems to me that, in an effort to try to get the family club's board back on side with the fans (and with "customers not fans" still ringing in their ears since the Colchester game), they decided in Macclesfield - "enough is enough"

The brutality of the dismissal is hardly the behaviour of a family club. If I was GJ, and I was told by the board at the end of the Carlisle game that the team I put out on the pitch had to return with 3 points against Macclesfield after 90 minutes of football (in only the 4th league game of the season), I think I'd be considering whether Cheltenham Town was a club I wanted to be a part of. It is embarrassing for everyone associated with the club. The keyboard warriors have got what they wanted. But all I see is our club in a worse position, more divided and far less likeable, both from inside and out. Who do we want as our manager next? Who cares. If the board are going to treat people like that then I don't think they deserve anyone better than GJ. Ultimately, we as fans have to like it. Or we can lump it.

Good luck Gary. We don't deserve to have a Manager like you.
Lord Elpuz
An excellent post by Prolific nut.

I am very certain we all want the Club to be going in the right direction, but I disagree entirely with tunnelvision’s view that the Board/Chair have acted decisively. A job only half done is not a decisive action. I will make my own mind up about how decisive the completed job is when I see who we get as the next manager and what he is able to bring to the table, the field of play and the training ground. I can’t deny I am perturbed about the way things have been handled this last week, but the Board now need to act fully decisively to put those worries to bed and to restore faith in what it is they are doing.

Over to the Board ....
plymrob
I would have to say it reads as a pretty sincere and heartfelt post from 'arobinsfantoo'.

I too admire and respect Paul Baker greatly, but he did make a few wrong calls - and maybe he was right - but also wrong - with his recent 'crass' response. If he feels different - it was not us who stood him down or nominated a replacement.

I also greatly respect, like and admire Gary Johnson - but I have only seen a few games during his tenure. Surely though, just through watching the highlights and looking at the league position, one would have to say that the CTFC EFL tree is still deeply rooted. When does one call time...? That is a tough call for any Chairperson...

Keep Gary in post = criticism. Paul Baker still in charge and loyal to a man he clearly likes (post match Colchester interruption) = indecisive.
Sack the board...? Well what does one say in response to that..? Trust the Board.... early days, but seemingly no way.... Stump up your cash and replace the Board... Please step forward and put your money where your mouth is...!

In my view, we are now a reasonably established EFL team. I would say we should be happy with steady League 2 position and occasional flirtations with the playoffs -and, most definitely, fewer seasons of relegation worries. This has not been the case. Maybe the time needed to be called on GJ - although I too am am slightly apprehensive about what next...

Talk about uncertainty and not pointing the finger.. Just to conciliatory...
Jerry St Clair
No mention of Colin Farmer who was clearly a huge personal and professional influence on Paul Baker. I have no doubt his wise counsel helped Baker through some difficult times and kept the club on an even keel. His loss, and the subsequent inevitable departure of the Chairman, are the root cause of the current upheaval.

I just hope it’s a brief storm and the good ship Cheltenham rights itself quickly.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It will setttle down I am sure. One Chairman interview and three Board statements and we are only four games in - almost unprecedented. Some statements proactive and some reactive, some contradicting ones made just three days previous.

Not an easy first month in the job, and different people have been questioning different statements, at different times, for different reasons, but hopefully one decent appointment and a couple of wins and everyone can put the events of this tumultuous event behind us and focus on the last 40 games.
horlickfanclub
I must be going soft. I agree with a post by RCS.
vickeryc
That's right RCS. We are where we are and recent events cannot be undone. Regardless of whether any of us approved of its actions, we now have to get behind the board for the good of the club.

I believe we have the basis of a decent team here. The defence looks good and there is some exciting talent up front; they just need to gel. We haven't even seen all of the players perform yet. Let's hope that whoever is appointed as manager can galvanise the players and quickly achieve an upturn in results. A week is a long time in football and fans have short memories. Things can change very quickly; let's hope it's for the better.