Alex Davis

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

The Old TomCat
Watching the local news this evening I came across the report concerning teenager Alex Davis, who suffered a major head injury in a footballing accident that left him in a week-long induced coma, has gained top GCSE results.

He was 15 when he was playing football as a goalkeeper for Cheltenham Town FC U16s in November last year, when he was accidentally kicked in the head by the opposition striker.
The report said that as Alex went down to get the ball, the player tried to jump over him, catching him with his knee on the back of his head. The heel of his football boot smashed into Alex's left eye, smashing out his eye socket.
A stud from the boot went in through Alex's forehead, with the bone fragments piercing his brain, causing a bleed.
Alex was rushed to hospital where he suffered a seizure before medics but him into an induced coma. Alex was transferred to Bristol Children's Hospital and, while still in a coma, under went three life-changing operations lasting seven hours.
The first was a craniotomy to stop the bleed on the brain and rebuild his skull.
A second operation saw a shunt put into his brain to drain the fluid and relieve the pressure and a third operation saw medics rebuild Alex's eye socket using pins and a titanium plate.

Alex was brought around from his coma after a week, with medics telling his parents they didn't know what they could expect.
Determined not to allow his accident to affect his education, Alex went on to sit his GCSEs.
His hard work and determination has been rewarded by a set of top grades, with Alex gaining the top grade of nine in many of his subjects.
Sadly it is unlikely that Alex, who was due to take on a two year footballing scholarship with Cheltenham Town after his exams, will be able to play competitive football again.
The accident caused damage to his optic nerve which means he still suffers with vision problems which it is hoped will improve over time.

Very upsetting sporting accident but pleased that Alex has regained his good health although a career as footballer is not possible.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Thanks for sharing OTC a sad but happy story at the same time.

(Good to see the FGR franchise hasn’t quite taken away all of your humanity and empathy just yet.)
The Old TomCat
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Thanks for sharing OTC a sad but happy story at the same time.

(Good to see the FGR franchise hasn’t quite taken away all of your humanity and empathy just yet.)
I should of added that Alex came across on report as an exceptionally nice person.
After he was hit on head he walked off the pitch.
There was unsettling video clip of Alex wearing Cheltenham shirt getting hit and walking off.

The guy is inspirational and I wish him the very best for the future.
theidlerich
Thanks OTC, so pleased to hear that the young lad has achieved such outstanding results. Let us hope he will continue to succeed in life. I wish him well.
Shade
An absolutely horrendous injury, especially for someone who hasn't even managed to make it into the adults game. Although it may have been an accident, I wonder how the opposition lad felt/feels about having caused that injury and that Alex can never play again. Hope he's been looked after if it was indeed an accident.
Nesty
what a brave lad I wish him the very best for the future.
Lord Elpuz
I am extremely pleased to hear young Master Alex is making such a fine recovery and that he has done so very well in his exams and that a place at University beckons, where I gather he wishes to study Sports Psychology. I wish him well in his career, as he is looking forward so positively, despite the fact he will not be able to play football again.

Quite why OTC feels the need to copy and paste all the medical details, which are in fact readily available to anyone, is beyond me. This looks like an attempt to pass off some plagiarised journalism as his own ‘superior’ knowledge. By his own account he is usually “Chuffed to bits about it” as he boasts on FGR Forum how he “ran rings round [Robins Nest Forum members] with actual facts backed up by links” - you didn’t provide the links this time, did you OTC?

Check this out if anyone wants to see the “actual facts backed up by links”: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... es-1930164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Old TomCat
Lord Elpuz wrote:I am extremely pleased to hear young Master Alex is making such a fine recovery and that he has done so very well in his exams and that a place at University beckons, where I gather he wishes to study Sports Psychology. I wish him well in his career, as he is looking forward so positively, despite the fact he will not be able to play football again.

Quite why OTC feels the need to copy and paste all the medical details, which are in fact readily available to anyone, is beyond me. This looks like an attempt to pass off some plagiarised journalism as his own ‘superior’ knowledge. By his own account he is usually “Chuffed to bits about it” as he boasts on FGR Forum how he “ran rings round [Robins Nest Forum members] with actual facts backed up by links” - you didn’t provide the links this time, did you OTC?

Check this out if anyone wants to see the “actual facts backed up by links”: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... es-1930164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/localnews/2654675-bristol/30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lord Elpuz
OTC, your latest actual facts backed up by links goes to 50 new stories for Bristol, including a riveting one about “Free haircuts for those who can’t afford them”.

You’re not very good at backing facts up with links, are you? I think you should tell your ‘friends’ on the FGR Forum the truth now, my dear boy, but you are a laughing stock there as well aren’t you?:

Re: Gary Johnson
Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:06 pm

FootieMan wrote:
And why would the media say Jerry Gill was ex FGR player. He was a Cheltenham Town player on loan at Rovers. Played around 20 games for us and almost 200 for the Robins.

It was a joke. It was a joke. Sorry. :oops:
The Old TomCat

- wow, 2164 posts on that Forum alone, as well as stalking ours. You really need to get a life, old fellow.
asl
Clearly descended into nothing more than a FGR-baiting exercise so lockety-lock-lock....