no rush

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
paperboy wrote:...well surely we will know the new man by tomorrow.

Surely by now the board will have spoken to 3 possibly 4 candidates including Russ.

My worry is that if we get a favourable result tonight they will plump for Russ, although they will have seen that he will not be a popular choice which would make it an unwise decision.
If they think it is the best choice for the club, popularity should not matter - or are you suggesting the Board should base decisions on vocal fans rather than their own evidence and plans?
It would be unwise to install a manager- Slade/ Milton- if the fans are unconvinced from the start as one or two bad results and the honeymoon period would be over very quickly.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
paperboy wrote:...well surely we will know the new man by tomorrow.

Surely by now the board will have spoken to 3 possibly 4 candidates including Russ.

My worry is that if we get a favourable result tonight they will plump for Russ, although they will have seen that he will not be a popular choice which would make it an unwise decision.
If they think it is the best choice for the club, popularity should not matter - or are you suggesting the Board should base decisions on vocal fans rather than their own evidence and plans?
It would be unwise to install a manager- Slade/ Milton- if the fans are unconvinced from the start as one or two bad results and the honeymoon period would be over very quickly.
So yes you are saying the Board should try and second guess the fans rather than make the decision they believe to be best.

Was it 80% of fans surveyed wanted Martin Allen?
Robin
It's pretty obvious the fans by consensus do not want Slade or Milton, I am sure there would be some happy with such appointments but generally if you make an appointment which makes the fans unhappy it's unlikely to end well.
asl
Milton won a match - of course some people will decide that makes him good enough. I wonder, though, whether he's even put his name forward? It's not like the prem where managers will bring in their own entourage - I imagine the new guy will be told he has to work with Russ.
Robin
If Milton stays as coach I am ok with that but I do feel we need an experienced manager in who has won promotion and can organise teams. Someone who can stamp his mark on the club.

Failing that I like the look of Carsley or Nicholson, someone up and coming with drive and ambition that can come in with fresh ideas and push boundaries.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:If Milton stays as coach I am ok with that but I do feel we need an experienced manager in who has won promotion and can organise teams. Someone who can stamp his mark on the club.

Failing that I like the look of Carsley or Nicholson, someone up and coming with drive and ambition that can come in with fresh ideas and push boundaries.
Gill fits the up and coming category too.
Robin
I really don't like the sound of Gill and feel he's being linked because he once played for us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I really don't like the sound of Gill and feel he's being linked because he once played for us.
Just naming another up and coming manager along the lines of those you names.
Shade
I feel like Carsley's only being linked with us because he's the chairman's mate.
Ihearye
Ladies and gents, please keep in mind that the views of about 15 supporters are represented on here. Claiming figures one way or the other in support of a point, is somewhat dubious. That is unless you add the twatter etc crowds