Michael Duff evens.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Del Boy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Typical football fan - mouthing online or chanting on the terraces then as soon as the Board deliver what they wanted claim zero responsibility and in fact line themselves up for criticising the next Board appointment!
I wanted him out and I'm glad he's gone. If it's down to me - obviously no sane person would suggest writing something on an internet forum read by very few would have any impact - then I'm happy. I would guess it's more down to his appalling league record.

I find it amusing people who wanted Johnson given more time after more than two years of rubbish are sharpening the knives for someone who hasn't even been appointed. If we can't get anyone better than a manager averaging a point a game over more than 100 matches then we really are in trouble.

The reality is we would do well to find anyone worse. Sadly - as he didn't go when he should have in the summer - the new man will be stuck with Johnson's players but I'm feeling far more positive about the future.

And I find it most telling that in six hours of football this season Johnson's players combined came up with one league goal. The one player to play he didn't sign needed 45 minutes to come up with the same.
East End Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Based on performances and the calibre of player (Mullins, Hussey, etc) I believe that the current squad is:

Better than the 2017/18 squad which shipped too many goals
Better than the 2016/17 squad which saw the Champions saved from relegation by loans and January signings
Better than the 2015/16 squad - as we saw, the Champions couldn’t compete in the League
Better than the 2014/15 squad - which got relegated so by default rubbish

So the best since at least 2013/14 in my view, which itself was a poor squad coming 17th, which would have been enhanced by Forster, Mullins, Boyle, Hussey, Nige, Jones and Clements.

That group, with Tozer and Dawson too, are the most solid and experienced core to a team we have had since Bennet, Elliott, Lowe, Penn, Pack and Summerfield in my view.

The only permanent players I would have from 2014 to 2018 squads which would I believe would enhance our current first choice match day squad are:

Scott Brown
Pre-injury Holman
Fit Asa Hall
Winchester
Mo
Tbh it is hard to argue with that logic. I hope you're proved right! I'd add Pell (when in-form) and Billy Waters to your list. Always a shame that the champions never performed in the league - I thought the might have reached mid-table. The most telling was Jon Flatt - solid enough in the NL but dreadful in the league.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
East End Robin wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Based on performances and the calibre of player (Mullins, Hussey, etc) I believe that the current squad is:

Better than the 2017/18 squad which shipped too many goals
Better than the 2016/17 squad which saw the Champions saved from relegation by loans and January signings
Better than the 2015/16 squad - as we saw, the Champions couldn’t compete in the League
Better than the 2014/15 squad - which got relegated so by default rubbish

So the best since at least 2013/14 in my view, which itself was a poor squad coming 17th, which would have been enhanced by Forster, Mullins, Boyle, Hussey, Nige, Jones and Clements.

That group, with Tozer and Dawson too, are the most solid and experienced core to a team we have had since Bennet, Elliott, Lowe, Penn, Pack and Summerfield in my view.

The only permanent players I would have from 2014 to 2018 squads which would I believe would enhance our current first choice match day squad are:

Scott Brown
Pre-injury Holman
Fit Asa Hall
Winchester
Mo
Tbh it is hard to argue with that logic. I hope you're proved right! I'd add Pell (when in-form) and Billy Waters to your list. Always a shame that the champions never performed in the league - I thought the might have reached mid-table. The most telling was Jon Flatt - solid enough in the NL but dreadful in the league.
Good point re: Pell and Waters.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Typical football fan - mouthing online or chanting on the terraces then as soon as the Board deliver what they wanted claim zero responsibility and in fact line themselves up for criticising the next Board appointment!
I wanted him out and I'm glad he's gone. If it's down to me - obviously no sane person would suggest writing something on an internet forum read by very few would have any impact - then I'm happy. I would guess it's more down to his appalling league record.

I find it amusing people who wanted Johnson given more time after more than two years of rubbish are sharpening the knives for someone who hasn't even been appointed. If we can't get anyone better than a manager averaging a point a game over more than 100 matches then we really are in trouble.

The reality is we would do well to find anyone worse. Sadly - as he didn't go when he should have in the summer - the new man will be stuck with Johnson's players but I'm feeling far more positive about the future.

And I find it most telling that in six hours of football this season Johnson's players combined came up with one league goal. The one player to play he didn't sign needed 45 minutes to come up with the same.
Wasn’t directing my point at you Del Boy - I know you will give the next manager a chance and think they will be an improvement on GJ. It those who wanted GJ out and are now moaning about Milton and rumoured replacements who I was criticising.