My thoughts on the debacle

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

cagliostro
As a supporter for nearly 60 years, the recent events and the way the club sacked GJ concern me greatly. If I treated my staff and clients the way the board went about their business, I would have no staff or clients. For over 40 years I went to every home and away game. OK, I don’t attend anywhere near as many games as you guys now for a variety of reasons, but I do when I can and watch the games live and recent form has been abysmal…and I have now gone from potentially investing in the club I love to – well, do I really care? Of course I do, BUT there has to be a sign of progression. We seem to heading down an abyss since PB left and there is a very unhealthy feel about the ways things are being done at Board level. One question I ask is “OK, sack GJ for whatever reason, but why line up a so-called list of targets that do not have his credentials and will only help us slide down that abyss”. I was going to pop down to Brentford tonight, but to be honest I don’t like throwing money down the drain.
A very worried Cag
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Not even a pint of fresh Pride can tempt you?

Sad when Cag feels obliged to post like this - always a very thoughtful and sensible poster.

Different feeling to two years ago and the Newcastle booze up!
Rick
cagliostro wrote:As a supporter for nearly 60 years, the recent events and the way the club sacked GJ concern me greatly. If I treated my staff and clients the way the board went about their business, I would have no staff or clients. For over 40 years I went to every home and away game. OK, I don’t attend anywhere near as many games as you guys now for a variety of reasons, but I do when I can and watch the games live and recent form has been abysmal…and I have now gone from potentially investing in the club I love to – well, do I really care? Of course I do, BUT there has to be a sign of progression. We seem to heading down an abyss since PB left and there is a very unhealthy feel about the ways things are being done at Board level. One question I ask is “OK, sack GJ for whatever reason, but why line up a so-called list of targets that do not have his credentials and will only help us slide down that abyss”. I was going to pop down to Brentford tonight, but to be honest I don’t like throwing money down the drain.
A very worried Cag
Well Cag. I have to very much agree with you on the subject of the sacking GJ. And also of the way the club is going. A very disillusion Robins Fan :(
Si Robin
cagliostro wrote:As a supporter for nearly 60 years, the recent events and the way the club sacked GJ concern me greatly. If I treated my staff and clients the way the board went about their business, I would have no staff or clients. For over 40 years I went to every home and away game. OK, I don’t attend anywhere near as many games as you guys now for a variety of reasons, but I do when I can and watch the games live and recent form has been abysmal…and I have now gone from potentially investing in the club I love to – well, do I really care? Of course I do, BUT there has to be a sign of progression. We seem to heading down an abyss since PB left and there is a very unhealthy feel about the ways things are being done at Board level. One question I ask is “OK, sack GJ for whatever reason, but why line up a so-called list of targets that do not have his credentials and will only help us slide down that abyss”. I was going to pop down to Brentford tonight, but to be honest I don’t like throwing money down the drain.
A very worried Cag
I agree with your general point Cag, but my question is how do you know who is on the board's shortlist, and how can you be so certain that they will only help us slide into the abyss?
shevates
Throwing money down the Drain to watch us at Brentford Cag ???. Supporters have been throwing it down there for two seasons now thats why our season tickets are at a low.
As for the managerial list whose made them ? The bookies, and supporters. Have the board released a short list ? If so ive missed it.
As for the new chairman, he was in the pub last night and standing outside mixing with the supporters expressing his views on the situation at the club and were he intends to be taking us. We now move on under the new Chairmans leadership, Baker is a hard act to follow, just give him a chance
Robin
I am fully with you Cag, I am concerned greatly by the way the club seems to be run, the way GJ was sacked (I do believe it was time to part ways though), the list of successors being mentioned and even the recruitment since. It all makes me worry the club could fall apart right now.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Aprehension stems from the knowledge of what will happen if we get relegated. It is extremely unlikely that we will get lucky like we did with the stars aligning for Gary and his squad of Champions. If disaster happens, then it will be part-time football.

I personally believe that relegation is not likely and that the squad is good enough to stay up. A steady pair of hands like Johnson or Milton and the players could coast to lower mid-table or top half even. An up and coming CTFC man like Gill or Duff the same, but might have a spark to achieve more.

The abject fear is that we get an Allen or Buckle, who destroys the squad and its spirit and make relegation a real possibility.

So it is a gamble but one with so much more to lose than there is to win. A bad bet and the existence of the club is under threat, whereas a safe bet means a mid table finish and a chance to go again next season.

This is why so many want Gill and why JP wrote that article; to avoid the risk of turmoil and disruption a non-CTFC man might cause.
shevates
If it was to be an ex player, to me it would have to be Duff, little experience, but his knowledge of the under 23 premiership players who could be available could be very valuable. Thought of highly at Burnley, and a quick promotion within the coaching staff there.
Robin
My biggest gripe with an ex player is they will be mates with the back room staff. I want someone to come in completely unbiased with a goal of getting us back into league one in the next couple of years. The article on Kevin Nicholson sounded good and I'd take him over Gill. I agree Duff will have good knowledge of the U23 circuit but that could be said for Devaney too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Match report from one of Gill’s youth games; a 5-1 win in charge of the U21’s at Norwich way back in 2014, showing how Jerry has more years experience coaching and managing than Duff: https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2014/ap ... -bolton-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Del Boy
Robin wrote: even the recruitment since.
We've signed one player who has played since Johnson was rightly booted out. He scored on his debut. That's one goal in 45 minutes.

Johnson's many signings managed one league goal between them in six hours.

Give these guys a chance.
Robin
We've signed two players Jones and Clements. Sam Jones was supposedly lined up by GJ and Clements fully by Milton (and Pete Johnson).
Del Boy
Robin wrote:We've signed two players Jones and Clements. Sam Jones was supposedly lined up by GJ and Clements fully by Milton (and Pete Johnson).
So why be worried??? Johnson - in the main - signed a load of failures. If Eisa hadn't been so good - better than anyone could have expected - we would have gone down last season. No doubt. Doesn't say much for the rest of his signings.

I have no idea if Jones was lined up by Johnson but I do know he was signed when Milton was in charge. The other bloke hasn't even played yet.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
Robin wrote: even the recruitment since.
We've signed one player who has played since Johnson was rightly booted out. He scored on his debut. That's one goal in 45 minutes.

Johnson's many signings managed one league goal between them in six hours.

Give these guys a chance.
Great summary Del Boy.
Si Robin
Del Boy wrote:
Robin wrote:We've signed two players Jones and Clements. Sam Jones was supposedly lined up by GJ and Clements fully by Milton (and Pete Johnson).
So why be worried??? Johnson - in the main - signed a load of failures. If Eisa hadn't been so good - better than anyone could have expected - we would have gone down last season. No doubt. Doesn't say much for the rest of his signings.

I have no idea if Jones was lined up by Johnson but I do know he was signed when Milton was in charge. The other bloke hasn't even played yet.
According to Sam Jones he knew nothing of it until Thursday - Johnson had been out a day and half by then.
Nesty
we took on one ex player with limited managerial experience and it paid off - Cotterill , if I had to choose one I would go for Gill
shevates
Nesty wrote:we took on one ex player with limited managerial experience and it paid off - Cotterill , if I had to choose one I would go for Gill
Lol didnt expect anything else from you if it involved Michael Duff lol
Nesty
shevates wrote:
Nesty wrote:we took on one ex player with limited managerial experience and it paid off - Cotterill , if I had to choose one I would go for Gill
Lol didnt expect anything else from you if it involved Michael Duff lol
the only reason I would go for Gill rather than Duff is geographical, I would assume Duff has hos roots firmly in Lancashire whereas Gill is very much West Country !!
Alf
Cag. A noble statement indeed. You very charitably say that you wouldn’t treat your staff the way Gary was treated but don’t actually state what you would do with members of your staff who underperformed for two years.
cagliostro
I wouldn't sack them in the office nor make them travel back on a coach with the staff...out of order....it would be done professionally....but if it has been going on for 2 years what have the board been doing during that time to allow it to happen anyway and without any remedial action.
Cag
Ihearye
cagliostro wrote:I wouldn't sack them in the office nor make them travel back on a coach with the staff...out of order....it would be done professionally....but if it has been going on for 2 years what have the board been doing during that time to allow it to happen anyway and without any remedial action.
Cag
That's a question for PB then?
Ihearye
Nesty, given that Duff's wife is from cheltenham and her family are still in the town. I would think that moving back would not be a major upheaval to family life?