Tyrone Barnett

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Due to undergo medical on Thursday morning ahead of loan move: http://bit.ly/LoanCTFCStriker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Artemis
He certainly meets the experienced Football League striker many have been calling for.
Red Duke
It also mentions at least two other players being signed before Saturday.
Robin
A few years ago I would have been very excited by this signing but now it smacks of desperation. His track record over the last few seasons has been terrible and he's been forced to play with the kids at Port Vale. I really hope he proves me wrong but I'm concerned about the recruitment since GJ was sacked.
paperboy
Red Duke wrote:It also mentions at least two other players being signed before Saturday.
..one being a left back!!---can't think why :-)
everyman
The Eisa money is disappearing,but maybe not for good value deals ?
Ihearye
Robin wrote:A few years ago I would have been very excited by this signing but now it smacks of desperation. His track record over the last few seasons has been terrible and he's been forced to play with the kids at Port Vale. I really hope he proves me wrong but I'm concerned about the recruitment since GJ was sacked.

Don't think we needed to add that bit. Have been worried about that for years. We do seem to have a recent history of bringing players in, finding thy are not good enough, then getting rid asap (if possible). All very depressing. Let's hope this one works out
Robin
Recruitment under GJ had been very hit or miss I agree but he was frugal and only paid for quality when he splashed out.

We now we seem to be signing dubious players with experience that look to have issues (most have changed clubs frequently). We now also have a big squad and seem to be wasting money just to make signings. I mean is Tyrone Barnett really the best we could find given the money we have? I genuinely hope he shows some of his form from earlier in his career but his recent record and given he was training with the kids at Port Vale should be a big red flag.

It all feels a mess right now whilst we still don't have a first team manager...
Ihearye
Robin wrote:Recruitment under GJ had been very hit or miss I agree but he was frugal and only paid for quality when he splashed out.

We now we seem to be signing dubious players with experience that look to have issues (most have changed clubs frequently). We now also have a big squad and seem to be wasting money just to make signings. I mean is Tyrone Barnett really the best we could find given the money we have? I genuinely hope he shows some of his form from earlier in his career but his recent record and given he was training with the kids at Port Vale should be a big red flag.

It all feels a mess right now whilst we still don't have a first team manager...
Maybe this was another one in the pipeline ;)
THECHOIRBOY
Robin wrote:Recruitment under GJ had been very hit or miss I agree but he was frugal and only paid for quality when he splashed out.

But it is partly timing. Whoever was in charge now, be it GJ, RM or the new manager would hastily be making additional signings due to our squad size and depth and the new transfer windows. Johnson always said that would be the plan. I will judge the signing once he has played a few times.
Artemis
Ihearye wrote: Don't think we needed to add that bit. Have been worried about that for years. We do seem to have a recent history of bringing players in, finding thy are not good enough, then getting rid asap (if possible). All very depressing. Let's hope this one works out
Really? Mo Eisa, Harry Pell, Dan Holman, Scott Flinders, Johnny Mullins, Carl Winchester, Will Boyle, Nigel Atangana. Need I go on?

Not all signings are going to work out. If they did, we'd never get the experienced players in on loan..that's just life and the world of football....some work out some don't.

And why do I sense the hope this one works out is little more than a platitude?
Artemis

All managers recruitment is 'hit or miss'.
Tyrone Barnett is evidentially the best we could find. To suggest otherwise would be to call into question the integrity of the club and those involved in transfers. "Oh, look we could have signed Akinfenwa, but decided not too....and we went for Barnett instead".

Tell me Robin, what else would you have done, who would you have signed, baring in mind the players current club have to want to sell / loan, the player has to want to move, we have to be able to afford his wages etc etc etc?

Subject to medical we'll have signed the experienced target man most wanted. But still that isn't good enough and now we're wasting money on panic loans.
Barnett isn't a signing that particularly excites me. But he does tick the boxes. Experienced FL target man.

Imagine the howls of derision if we didn't sign anyone..."we'll go with what we've got"..
Some are just never satisfied or appeased and at times I really feel for the board and management team.
paperboy
...has signed on loan until January so good deal for club and player.

Has lost his way somewhat,but let's give him a chance.
Jon Palmer
Russell Milton on the Tyrone Barnett signing here: http://bit.ly/MiltonOnBarnett" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Round Robin
Let’s give all these new players our full support .

I’m fed up reading all the negativity surrounding a new signing . We’re Ctfc not Man City for gods sake. People moan about the boo boys on a Saturday let’s not become the online version.

Fingers Crossed
Lord Elpuz
paperboy wrote:...has signed on loan until January so good deal for club and player.

Has lost his way somewhat,but let's give him a chance.
I agree with paperboy.

He needs to get some game-time to show what he can do, and hopefully he will be a success here.

What would another manager have done? Clearly it’s been necessary to get the best we can get before the window closes and as others have said, Tyrone Barnett ticks several of the boxes, so he was always going to be a realistic signing. The other option would have been something like an untried 21 year old on loan from a Championship/Premiership Club, and that would definitely not be what we needed right now.

Welcome Tyrone, big opportunity now to get up and running with regular football. Go for it, lad!
Robin
Round Robin wrote:Let’s give all these new players our full support .

I’m fed up reading all the negativity surrounding a new signing . We’re Ctfc not Man City for gods sake. People moan about the boo boys on a Saturday let’s not become the online version.

Fingers Crossed
Blind optimism will make all our problems go away? :roll:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
Round Robin wrote:Let’s give all these new players our full support .

Fingers Crossed
Blind optimism will make all our problems go away? :roll:
Maybe not, but at least waiting for the bloke to sign and waiting a few games to see what he can do can allow us to make reasoned and not hyperbolic judgements.

Welcome Tyrone, and looking forward to seeing you try your best for CTFC.
Robin
Jon Palmer wrote:Russell Milton on the Tyrone Barnett signing here: http://bit.ly/MiltonOnBarnett" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As much as I don't want Milton in charge I do feel he speaks very well here.
Round Robin
Blind optimism - hopefully not .

I’ll have my eyes open on Saturday which will allow me to make up my own mind up . My point was let’s not write off people before they’ve kicked a ball .

Ps my Labrador agrees.
Ihearye
Artemis wrote:
Ihearye wrote: Don't think we needed to add that bit. Have been worried about that for years. We do seem to have a recent history of bringing players in, finding thy are not good enough, then getting rid asap (if possible). All very depressing. Let's hope this one works out
Really? Mo Eisa, Harry Pell, Dan Holman, Scott Flinders, Johnny Mullins, Carl Winchester, Will Boyle, Nigel Atangana. Need I go on?

Not all signings are going to work out. If they did, we'd never get the experienced players in on loan..that's just life and the world of football....some work out some don't.

And why do I sense the hope this one works out is little more than a platitude?
Why would I not want it to work out ?
If you could go on with the list that would be good :)

I do understand the 'not all signings work out' mantra. It may explain why we have had to rebuild so often ?

Looking at your list, I can see a three players that have been here for more than 1 year (one of which is hardly pulling up trees so far this season). One was brought in to cover a poor recruitment within a matter of weeks. This does kind of stretch the 'not all work out' argument a tad. Holman was good for half a season. Boyle is adequate in his position, yes usually open of our better performers. But over the last couple of years that is not the greatest compliment he will ever get. Flinders has saved us on a goal difference slaughter in the league so far this year. Mullins, so far so good, time will tell. Harry Pell, another one who, imho, flattered to deceive for many games. Some may argue he was played out of position. Which I guess would again, call into question overall recruitment. Winchester - apart from the low morals of going for a quick cash injection. Do we know that constantly being played out of position, did not also play a part in his departure? If so, again, question recruitment.

Playing Tozer up front when recently purchased strikers sit on the bench, must call recruitment into question ?

Not saying we didn't get any decent players, (any as opposed to many). Surely the fact that most were shown the door either during the season or at the end of each season, must call even the most avid fan, to question the quality of recruitment ?
Would be nice if the majority of recruitment selections worked, not all.
Horteng
Artemis wrote:

All managers recruitment is 'hit or miss'.
Tyrone Barnett is evidentially the best we could find. To suggest otherwise would be to call into question the integrity of the club and those involved in transfers. "Oh, look we could have signed Akinfenwa, but decided not too....and we went for Barnett instead".

Tell me Robin, what else would you have done, who would you have signed, baring in mind the players current club have to want to sell / loan, the player has to want to move, we have to be able to afford his wages etc etc etc?

Subject to medical we'll have signed the experienced target man most wanted. But still that isn't good enough and now we're wasting money on panic loans.
Barnett isn't a signing that particularly excites me. But he does tick the boxes. Experienced FL target man.

Imagine the howls of derision if we didn't sign anyone..."we'll go with what we've got"..
Some are just never satisfied or appeased and at times I really feel for the board and management team.
Well said Art. We are in a c!#p situation, I don’t know who people expect us to sign and more importantly who they think wants to come to CTFC at this moment in time

We’ve signed the experienced striker that everyone wanted so get behind him ffs
Robin
We have decent money, probably more in the bank than 90% of league two teams we should be getting better but you are right let's all close our eyes and blindly hope it works out.
Alf
There’s far too much negativity at the moment. We really need to be positive and get behind Russ and the players.
Robin
The club is in a right mess hence the negativity, I fail to see what's wrong with recognising this.
Si Robin
Is it in a right mess?

The three players that Russ has signed all have decent Football League experience. We can say that Barnett hasn't done it for a few years, but what's to say he can't hit the ground running here? We're not too dissimilar in size to Crawley, which is where he had his best spell. As Russ says in his interview, maybe he just needs a club to love him.

Writing him off before he's kicked a ball in anger is as more blind negativity than the blind optimism you say people have for simply saying to support him on Saturday.

Am I expecting him to be the messiah? Absolutely not, his recent record suggests he won't be. But then Julian Alsop and Danny Wright hardly had brilliant records before coming here and they both left with their highest goal tallies with a single club.
Del Boy
Robin wrote:The club is in a right mess hence the negativity, I fail to see what's wrong with recognising this.
The club is far from a mess. Think back to when Buckle was given the boot. That was a mess.

Johnson left us with a lop-sided squad with some puzzling two-year contracts and that's not going to be solved immediately. But we're not struggling financially and are rightly not rushing into appointing a new manager. It could be - and has been - a hell of a lot worse.
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote:Is it in a right mess?

The three players that Russ has signed all have decent Football League experience. We can say that Barnett hasn't done it for a few years, but what's to say he can't hit the ground running here? We're not too dissimilar in size to Crawley, which is where he had his best spell. As Russ says in his interview, maybe he just needs a club to love him.

Writing him off before he's kicked a ball in anger is as more blind negativity than the blind optimism you say people have for simply saying to support him on Saturday.

Am I expecting him to be the messiah? Absolutely not, his recent record suggests he won't be. But then Julian Alsop and Danny Wright hardly had brilliant records before coming here and they both left with their highest goal tallies with a single club.
Indeed, and this one looks as if it has been on the back burner for a while. He is on loan, if he can 'use' us to restart his career, then its an all round win. If the worst is that we have a big lad to put up front instead of drafting in a midfield player to do that job. Then that's also a win. Sometimes you need hoof ball, especially coming in to winter and he looks a good target to hit
Robin
We are in a state very reminiscent of the Buckle era.
a) We sacked a manager over a week and half ago and yet no sign on a permanent successor or message from the board. A lot of the names being linked are either former players with little to no experience and some managers with more failure than success.
b) We are making very questionable signings in the absence of a permanent manager who really needed to be in to over see this.
c) We have a massive squad now which are bound to make players unhappy.
d) we appear to be wasting the Eisa.

I'm afraid we've gone from bad to very much worse over the last week and a bit.
asl
A Port Vale fan responding to the Facebook post on the news:
Good Luck with him......You're gonna need it!!!!!
THECHOIRBOY
Robin wrote:
I'm afraid we've gone from bad to very much worse over the last week and a bit.
Yet in that time also got our first victory of the season and put in an organised performance against Brentford.

* Note, I am not saying it's a good situation we are in; just I believe things are rosier now than 10 days ago!
Alf
asl wrote:A Port Vale fan responding to the Facebook post on the news:
We were told by fans at previous clubs that Scott Flinders was not up to it. He’s turned into a great signing for us.
I just hope some of our new signings don’t read the Nest
I can’t help getting the feeling that some don’t want the new Regime to be successful.
I don’t think we’re in a bad position, in fact I detect a breath of fresh air at the club.
Shade
Alf wrote:
We were told by fans at previous clubs that Scott Flinders was not up to it. He’s turned into a great signing for us.
I just hope some of our new signings don’t read the Nest
I can’t help getting the feeling that some don’t want the new Regime to be successful.
I don’t think we’re in a bad position, in fact I detect a breath of fresh air at the club.
I'd hope none of our players or management read this forum ever!
Del Boy
Alf wrote:
They're not hard to spot, are they??
Robin
Some are so blinkered to see the absolute mess we are in. But let's pretend it's ok now we sacked Johnson it has to be better right?!