Tyrone Barnett

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Yes we get it Robin, you think we're in a mess. What are you trying to prove?

The only mess I see is you not wanting us to win because you're fearful of Milton getting the job.
Del Boy
Robin wrote:Some are so blinkered to see the absolute mess we are in. But let's pretend it's ok now we sacked Johnson it has to be better right?!
If we are in a mess now we were in a bigger mess nine days ago. We've had one league game since Johnson was sacked. We won it with the winning goal being scored the only player to have been signed since.

Johnson had achieved one point in his previous eight games. His teams scored one goal in four games this season.

All the players he had are still here.

We have not splashed out huge amounts of money on new players.

The board are taking their time appointing a new manager. Surely they need to do everything to make sure they get it right.

How is this suddenly a mess?? If it is an 'absolute mess' the only person to blame is no longer around.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:We are in a state very reminiscent of the Buckle era.
a) We sacked a manager over a week and half ago and yet no sign on a permanent successor or message from the board. A lot of the names being linked are either former players with little to no experience and some managers with more failure than success.
Much rather this than jumping on the first bus that comes along. No reason to suspect at all, that the board have not learned their lessons and are doing due diligence on this on. They can't be held responsible for a bookies list or a facebook list?
b) We are making very questionable signings in the absence of a permanent manager who really needed to be in to over see this.
Today's signing , it seems, was in the offing when we had a permanent manager. True there is a debate that this all should have happened in May. Sounds like that was looked into but McCann dal could not be worked out. We have made many questionable signings with a permanent manager. He is the only 'head' that is missing.
c) We have a massive squad now which are bound to make players unhappy.
Hopefully, the only one that will be unhappy are those that are not good enough to make the squad or those that are not prepared to fight for a starting place. Either way, their loss
d) we appear to be wasting the Eisa.
How much has been spent on the last few loans ? Do we know ? It will have been wasted if they don't perform. Again, I would argue money has already been wasted on long term contracts, where they may not be justified
I'm afraid we've gone from bad to very much worse over the last week and a bit.
Hard to judge that until you see how the team responds to recent changes. Also, on how the new guys fit in. May be just blind optimism, however something had to be done to get the best out of what we have. This is the hand they are playing
kora
We are in a better place than 10 days ago; not a great place, but a better one. The players are happier [info from inside the club] and experienced players are coming in to get us by till the recruits from lower leagues and youngsters get their acts together. Togetherness is a vital element in going forward; the club are getting that together so why don't we all join in and see if we can carry things forward regardless of who gets the big job.
Robin
Shade wrote:Yes we get it Robin, you think we're in a mess. What are you trying to prove?

The only mess I see is you not wanting us to win because you're fearful of Milton getting the job.
I care passionately about the club shade, and it feels that although we were right to part with GJ it's gone from bad to a lot worse very quickly. It angers me seeing us like this it's as simple as that.
Shade
With all due respect, you're coming across as somewhat of a drama queen. Surely you've at least got to wait and see how the team performs on Saturday before saying we're in such a shocking state as a club? It would seem the majority believe that whereas this isn't a good period in the clubs history, it's far from the worst and the club are doing the right thing in taking their time over the appointment, especially as we're not getting hammered on the pitch. You may believe differently but we only need telling once. Maybe twice.
longmover
Robin wrote:
Shade wrote:Yes we get it Robin, you think we're in a mess. What are you trying to prove?

I care passionately about the club shade, and it feels that although we were right to part with GJ it's gone from bad to a lot worse very quickly. It angers me seeing us like this it's as simple as that.
Like what? All clubs go through this, its called change, things move on, people move on and ideas change, its not 1999 anymore.

We all understand your passion and concern but things aren't that bad at CTFC. The clubs in a period of transition, new manager and new chairman, embrace it because its not going to stop.
East End Robin
Where has all this "the recruitment has been terrible since GJ left" suddenly come from?

We'e only signed three players so far, two who haven't even played yet so it's extremely unfair to judge them, and one who I remember that arrived to pretty good reception, then promptly scored the only goal in our only league win of the season.

Okay, Barnett's track record over the last couple of seasons hasn't been great. But we've been saying for ages that we could do with a target man, now we've got one people will moan before he's even played. Remember how much negativity there was surrounding the Flinders signing because York fans said how terrible he was? Someone remind me how that one turned out in the end?
Ralph
Robin wrote:

Do what you said you would do and hand your season ticket back in then.
or throw it in front of Milton or the directors box or something
Ihearye
Ralph wrote:
Robin wrote:

Do what you said you would do and hand your season ticket back in then.
or throw it in front of Milton or the directors box or something
Play nice children
duckers
Hasn’t been great?

Wimbledon 36 games 2 goals
Port Vale 25 games 1 goal

Other adjectives spring to mind.
Artemis
What those stats don't say is how many goals his hold up play have created for others, directly or indirectly.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
Robin wrote:The club is in a right mess hence the negativity, I fail to see what's wrong with recognising this.
The club is far from a mess. Think back to when Buckle was given the boot. That was a mess.

Johnson left us with a lop-sided squad with some puzzling two-year contracts and that's not going to be solved immediately. But we're not struggling financially and are rightly not rushing into appointing a new manager. It could be - and has been - a hell of a lot worse.
If the Board and Club have achieved anything it is: RCS agrees with Del Boy!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:With all due respect, you're coming across as somewhat of a drama queen. Surely you've at least got to wait and see how the team performs on Saturday before saying we're in such a shocking state as a club? It would seem the majority believe that whereas this isn't a good period in the clubs history, it's far from the worst and the club are doing the right thing in taking their time over the appointment, especially as we're not getting hammered on the pitch. You may believe differently but we only need telling once. Maybe twice.
More than happy to hand my drama queen crown over to Robin.

Well done Robin, the first day in about six years where I can honestly say that my postings have not been the most ridiculous.

You’re the mess mate, not the club!
Benctfc
You have to laugh we sign a player and people write him off before even stepping a foot onto the pitch! Who did people expect us to sign at this point in the season? We had our chance to replace Eisa in the Summer when more options were available and unfortunately we missed our chance. I'm happy we are strengthening areas we are clearly weak in. We have nothing to lose with these loans if they don't work out we move on in January.

As others have said things look much improved since a week or two a go we have improved the squad (One of the signings scoring on debut) and have players coming back from injury who are making an impact. For the first time in a while I am looking forward to Saturday. Hell if we win again lets allow Milton the chance to continue as he will be deserving of the chance.
MittonRobin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:With all due respect, you're coming across as somewhat of a drama queen. Surely you've at least got to wait and see how the team performs on Saturday before saying we're in such a shocking state as a club? It would seem the majority believe that whereas this isn't a good period in the clubs history, it's far from the worst and the club are doing the right thing in taking their time over the appointment, especially as we're not getting hammered on the pitch. You may believe differently but we only need telling once. Maybe twice.

Well done Robin, the first day in about six years where I can honestly say that my postings have not been the most ridiculous.

Club is a mess ! It really is ! People need to bloody wake up if they think all is ok !
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
MittonRobin wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Club is a mess ! It really is ! People need to bloody wake up if they think all is ok !
There is a lot of middle ground between “mess” and “all ok”.

Some may think the club is “in a bad patch” or “starting to recover” or “ticking along” or “muddling through” or “not in its finest hour” or “not at its lowest ebb”.

Just because I don’t think it is a mess does not mean I think it is all OK.
CTFC03
We won on the weekend and kept a clean sheet which is a massive positive, we defended well and scored down the other end and nicked a result, it can only be a good thing, if we had got beat 3-0 we would be in a mess but we got a positive result, we went to Brentford on Tuesday and only lost 1-0 yes we got battered but they are an absolutely class side, their bench must be between 10-20 million pounds on the night, I also watched Fulham v Brentford on TV last season and Brentford were the better side, they are top half of the Championship in terms of quality and that club could go on to the Premiership. I think we may be starting to recover from the mess Johnson put us in, he absolutely lost the plot and how he was allowed to stay in the summer is beyond me.

As for the signings, I think their positive, Clements I'm told is a decent player, keeps things simple, Grimsby fans rate Jones and Barnett (it is a risk this one) has played at a higher level, their is a good player in Barnett, I was there when we lost 4-2 to Crawley and he was absolutely unstoppable, sometimes it just doesn't happen for players at certain clubs and don't forget Port Vale are a horrible nasty club with idiotic fans (yes every club has them) who give their players such a hard time when it doesn't go their way, I've been there loads of times and the abuse some of their players have been given in the past has been absolutely astonishing, vile club.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFC03 wrote:We won on the weekend and kept a clean sheet which is a massive positive, we defended well and scored down the other end and nicked a result, it can only be a good thing, if we had got beat 3-0 we would be in a mess but we got a positive result, we went to Brentford on Tuesday and only lost 1-0 yes we got battered but they are an absolutely class side, their bench must be between 10-20 million pounds on the night, I also watched Fulham v Brentford on TV last season and Brentford were the better side, they are top half of the Championship in terms of quality and that club could go on to the Premiership. I think we may be starting to recover from the mess Johnson put us in, he absolutely lost the plot and how he was allowed to stay in the summer is beyond me.

As for the signings, I think their positive, Clements I'm told is a decent player, keeps things simple, Grimsby fans rate Jones and Barnett (it is a risk this one) has played at a higher level, their is a good player in Barnett, I was there when we lost 4-2 to Crawley and he was absolutely unstoppable, sometimes it just doesn't happen for players at certain clubs and don't forget Port Vale are a horrible nasty club with idiotic fans (yes every club has them) who give their players such a hard time when it doesn't go their way, I've been there loads of times and the abuse some of their players have been given in the past has been absolutely astonishing, vile club.
^^like^^
East End Robin
duckers wrote:Hasn’t been great?

Wimbledon 36 games 2 goals
Port Vale 25 games 1 goal

Other adjectives spring to mind.
Better adjectives there may be, but that doesn't necessarily mean we'll be using said adjectives to describe his performances in a Cheltenham shirt. It is also possible we will, but I'm willing to at least let him kick a ball before thinning about using them.
Ihearye
Rule of thumb - let any dog bite once