Tyrone Barnett interview

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Can be read here: http://bit.ly/BarnettCheltenham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Thanks JP.

Great interview and cracking to see Tyrone eager to prove Vale wrong and play for CTFC - the original CTFC I might add!

COYR
Lord Elpuz
Yes, a very good interview. I’m sure we can all look forward to Tyrone proving Port Vale and their fans wrong, like Harry Pell did against Grimsby.

One thing this interview taught me though, was how important it is for players to feel wanted and appreciated, not just by the fans but by the managers as well. It can have a very marked effect on confidence.
Robin
Oh I hope you are right and all he needs to turn things around is a little bit of TLC. Of course you'd have to question why he didn't get that from two different managers at Port Vale (maybe genuine reasons) and why his record at clubs since Crawley has been poor. I'm not saying it's impossible as it can happen just be realistic here.
CTFC03
There's a quality player in there it's just bringing the best out of him, good luck Tyrone and welcome aboard.
Lord Elpuz
Robin wrote:Oh I hope you are right and all he needs to turn things around is a little bit of TLC. Of course you'd have to question why he didn't get that from two different managers at Port Vale (maybe genuine reasons) and why his record at clubs since Crawley has been poor. I'm not saying it's impossible as it can happen just be realistic here.
The “just be realistic here” comment implies that you have already written him off, because he ‘failed’ with two different managers at Port Vale. The fans appear to have taken a dislike to him there as well, which would have affected his confidence; sometimes a player’s face just doesn’t fit, so fans won’t give them a chance. I remember when Byron Harrison was here, he was Player of the Season at the end of his first year and then fans turned on him because of a perception that his languid style of play meant he was disinterested, but he was surrounded by a very poor squad.

Tyrone Barnett’s record is not as bad as you think in the League since leaving Crawley (where he was prolific), as he has averaged a League goal every 3 or 4 games, apart from just Port Vale where he only made 8 appearances, and Wimbledon where he averaged a goal every 5 games).

If our fans get behind him (the “TLC” that you mention) and he becomes a talisman for the Robins, it’s a win-win. I hope he succeeds, and I don’t believe that’s an unrealistic possibility.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lord Elpuz wrote:
Robin wrote:Oh I hope you are right and all he needs to turn things around is a little bit of TLC. Of course you'd have to question why he didn't get that from two different managers at Port Vale (maybe genuine reasons) and why his record at clubs since Crawley has been poor. I'm not saying it's impossible as it can happen just be realistic here.
The “just be realistic here” comment implies that you have already written him off, because he ‘failed’ with two different managers at Port Vale. The fans appear to have taken a dislike to him there as well, which would have affected his confidence; sometimes a player’s face just doesn’t fit, so fans won’t give them a chance. I remember when Byron Harrison was here, he was Player of the Season at the end of his first year and then fans turned on him because of a perception that his languid style of play meant he was disinterested, but he was surrounded by a very poor squad.

Tyrone Barnett’s record is not as bad as you think in the League since leaving Crawley (where he was prolific), as he has averaged a League goal every 3 or 4 games, apart from just Port Vale where he only made 8 appearances, and Wimbledon where he averaged a goal every 5 games).

If our fans get behind him (the “TLC” that you mention) and he becomes a talisman for the Robins, it’s a win-win. I hope he succeeds, and I don’t believe that’s an unrealistic possibility.
Robin will write-off any player Milton signs.
BenhallRobin
Potentially an excellent signing, the ability is there, it sounds as if the application is too. Whatever has gone on before is now irrelevant.
kora
If we can love him back to something like the player he was at Creepy, it will be an amazing signing; if not at least we have a good target man.
shevates
Im not sure if RM should be manager, but he has impressed so far. His four signings to me are potentialy good ones. He went back in for Jones who has done well. TB some may think a bit risky but if it comes off will be a great signing. Mooney is raw but has under 23 experience, and Field has league experience and looks promising. Well done Russ
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote:Im not sure if RM should be manager, but he has impressed so far. His four signings to me are potentialy good ones. He went back in for Jones who has done well. TB some may think a bit risky but if it comes off will be a great signing. Mooney is raw but has under 23 experience, and Field has league experience and looks promising. Well done Russ
Building a good squad for Jerry to manage!
Ihearye
kora wrote:If we can love him back to something like the player he was at Creepy, it will be an amazing signing; if not at least we have a good target man.
Just needs to walk the walk - job done