Cheltenham Town v Colchester United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
Scarface wrote:What are people’s opinions if I were to say that a good proportion of the squad we’re out on the town last night?
I'd say some team-bonding might not be too bad an idea. Most of them have only met in the last few weeks and clearly have no idea what anyone else is going to do on the football pitch. Some of them don't even know what *they* are doing, but that's another matter...
Nesty
The transfer windows are killing football at this level meaning clubs have to carry larger squads than they can afford
Scarface
asl wrote:
Scarface wrote:What are people’s opinions if I were to say that a good proportion of the squad we’re out on the town last night?
I'd say some team-bonding might not be too bad an idea. Most of them have only met in the last few weeks and clearly have no idea what anyone else is going to do on the football pitch. Some of them don't even know what *they* are doing, but that's another matter...

Valid point but they should get enough chance to bond at training or something a bit more corporate.

Not sure I could take my work colleagues out on the town and expense the bill as team building!
andgarod
Scarface wrote:
asl wrote:

Valid point but they should get enough chance to bond at training or something a bit more corporate.

Not sure I could take my work colleagues out on the town and expense the bill as team building!
So are you saying Russ had them out on the town or perhaps it was the new chairman as you imply the bill was being paid by the club?

I dont believe they are monks ( that allows lots of scope) but did you witness anything untoward
Just a question do you work and were you out in the town last night/ early morning?
Why one set of rules for some ?

It wasnt the night before a game but just after or do you think they should stay at home playing Ludo
Were they dong a Maddog?
Scarface
Pipe down.

All I’m saying is if I’m a loyal fan paying £20 to watch men vs boys, I then don’t want to see the team on the town, it’s a bit embarrassing if you ask me.

Ps don’t ever be disrespectful to the fulfilling game of Ludo again, it takes a lot of mental capacity and strategic endeavour.
Nham68
asl wrote:
Off work, you can’t didcate whatt people can and cannot do within the bounds of accepting that as a club player, you are also an ambassador. So as long as acting like a decent human being, absolutely nothing wrong at all with going out. Who hasnt gone out with the guys & gals after a bad day at the office... no harm at all, not newsworthy imho, and nothing to be concerned about....
Scarface
I see you points of views and respect them.

Not trying to making anything “newsworthy”

I wonder what the reaction would be if United players were all seen out on the town after being trounced 3-0 by spurs .

Then again- complete apples and pears isn’t it!
Ihearye
asl wrote:
Saturday night, why not? Unless called in for extra day today
ctfc-fan
The class of 2000 always used to be out on the town too, players like Devaney etc.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
As long as they are 100% physically on Monday.

I doubt they went to excess at all last night, but it only takes one or two drinks too many for Saturday’s sleep to be disrupted and for hydration levels to be one or two percent too low come Monday - impacting on how intensely they can train and increasing the chance of muscle injury.

With all the sports science in the game these I am sure each player knows exactly how many units (and how concentrated the units are) they can drink on a Saturday night without impacting on Monday morning.

It is when players exceed these levels that fans are entitled to question their professionalism and commitment. Same as I my employer would not expect me to do things to impair my ability to be focused in early morning meetings or reduce my concentration we have deadlines, I do not expect professional athletes to do that with the money the fans pay.
Alf
asl wrote:
When Cotts was in charge it was never unusual to see the lads out for a beer on a Saturday evening and it never did them any harm! Great team spirit and always happy to chat to the fans. Good team spirit can carry you a long way.
Alf
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:As long as they are 100% physically on Monday.

I doubt they went to excess at all last night, but it only takes one or two drinks too many for Saturday’s sleep to be disrupted and for hydration levels to be one or two percent too low come Monday - impacting on how intensely they can train and increasing the chance of muscle injury.

With all the sports science in the game these I am sure each player knows exactly how many units (and how concentrated the units are) they can drink on a Saturday night without impacting on Monday morning.

It is when players exceed these levels that fans are entitled to question their professionalism and commitment. Same as I my employer would not expect me to do things to impair my ability to be focused in early morning meetings or reduce my concentration we have deadlines, I do not expect professional athletes to do that with the money the fans pay.
Yawn! :roll:
Robin
Scarface wrote:Been a while since I posted but becoming disallusioned with the club at present.

What are people’s opinions if I were to say that a good proportion of the squad we’re out on the town last night? I realise players need down time but after recent performances it doesn’t set a good tone. Unless of course they were giving out free ticket to fellow revellers...

Also we couldn’t match FGR wages for Winchester, one of our best players, yet we can afford 8 players watching the game from the boxes....(understand 1/2 might be injured)

Big turnaround job needed by the new manager.

I am also becoming disillusioned with the club in past week or two and my perception is a number are too. People left at half time yesterday, hardly anyone wants Milton yet Jon Palmer is championing him, we've ended up with a bloated squad and most of hte new signings don't appear to be significantly better in quality, even worse the board seem to be handling the new mgr appointment very bardly.

Regarding players going out, I have absolutely no issue with this, they are young and so long as they don't get hammered that their fitness suffers it's no bad thing.

Finally on Winchester from what I was told it was a golden carrot of a very big signing on fee not wages which got him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
Scarface wrote:Been a while since I posted but becoming disallusioned with the club at present.

What are people’s opinions if I were to say that a good proportion of the squad we’re out on the town last night? I realise players need down time but after recent performances it doesn’t set a good tone. Unless of course they were giving out free ticket to fellow revellers...

Also we couldn’t match FGR wages for Winchester, one of our best players, yet we can afford 8 players watching the game from the boxes....(understand 1/2 might be injured)

Big turnaround job needed by the new manager.

I am also becoming disillusioned with the club in past week or two and my perception is a number are too. People left at half time yesterday, hardly anyone wants Milton yet Jon Palmer is championing him, we've ended up with a bloated squad and most of hte new signings don't appear to be significantly better in quality, even worse the board seem to be handling the new mgr appointment very bardly.

Regarding players going out, I have absolutely no issue with this, they are young and so long as they don't get hammered that their fitness suffers it's no bad thing.

Finally on Winchester from what I was told it was a golden carrot of a very big signing on fee not wages which got him.
Vince gave Winchester a house and car is what I was told.
asl
I heard Vince promised his first-born daughter.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:I heard Vince promised his first-born daughter.
Doubt it, after stating how he wanted to “move on” from having to care about his kids when he ran out on them and refused to offer any financial support.
Scarface
Challenging times!

Hopefully a good result Tuesday and an end to the management debacle shortly will help turn perceptions around....
Shade
I don't know if anyone else here saw this, but Colchester had a player suspended today because he got two bookings against us last week, but the ref gave one of the cards to the wrong player. So we should have been playing against 10 men as well. I said the ref was a f#!$ clown that robbed us and I stand by it...

Note also that it was kept as quiet as possible.
vickeryc
Shade wrote:I don't know if anyone else here saw this, but Colchester had a player suspended today because he got two bookings against us last week, but the ref gave one of the cards to the wrong player. So we should have been playing against 10 men as well. I said the ref was a f#!$ clown that robbed us and I stand by it...

Thanks for pointing that out, Shade. It doesn't come as a big surprise - he struck me as one of the most incompetent refs I've seen at WR and wow, we've had more than a few of those over the years.
Red Duke
vickeryc wrote:
Shade wrote:I don't know if anyone else here saw this, but Colchester had a player suspended today because he got two bookings against us last week, but the ref gave one of the cards to the wrong player. So we should have been playing against 10 men as well. I said the ref was a f#!$ clown that robbed us and I stand by it...

Thanks for pointing that out, Shade. It doesn't come as a big surprise - he struck me as one of the most incompetent refs I've seen at WR and wow, we've had more than a few of those over the years.
For how long should have Colchester been down to 10 men?
Johnsons Red Army
The second card happened in 55th minute or so when it was 2-0 Colchester.
Red Duke
Johnsons Red Army wrote:The second card happened in 55th minute or so when it was 2-0 Colchester.
So a very significant decision that could have changed the course of the game. How come nobody noticed at the game?
leohoenig
Generally one does not notice. The first card (which was changed later causing a suspension) was a case of mistaken identity
Hence the yellow card on 55 was the first yellow shown to this player in this game
- and as we have seen before, many referees are quick to give a first yellow, slow for a second so there is every chance the decision would have been bottled had the referee not made the earlier mistake
asl
And, indeed, the player already on a yellow might be a bit more careful than one who has the comfort of not having been booked.

Really, a non-issue. We were a distant second best for 75% of the game and to suggest that was the ref's fault is laughable.
vickeryc
Regardless of whether we were a distant second best for 75% of the game, the perception of most is that the ref had a poor game and that, once again, the Robins got the worst of the close decisions, including both penalties. I believe that when players sense they aren't getting the rub of the green it inevitably has a negative effect on their performance. I felt we were clearly the better team throughout the second half, so I fundamentally disagree that were a distant second for 75% of the game.
Shade
I agree with vickeryc, we were all over them for most of the second half, with their only real attacks coming on the break, and we could and should have got it back to at least 2-2 with the Dawson penalty claim and the Barnett shot inches wide. So, if they'd have been down to 10 as well, or that same player had to be more careful during the second half...who knows. Still, it's in the past now.