Such a contrast...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
...to the great dynamic attacking verve in the first half vs Carlisle and the Cup game vs Colchester in the last two home games.

Only one thing has changed since those games - but hey, it is what the fans wanted.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:...to the great dynamic attacking verve in the first half vs Carlisle and the Cup game vs Colchester in the last two home games.

Only one thing has changed since those games - but hey, it is what the fans wanted.
Did you do your course in talking Bolloxese at Manchester Met ?

Great that you can pick out 45 minutes of league football to comapre to the rest of the season. I will see your Carlisle with a vastly improved last 45 today. Not saying the vastly improved is good enough. However you are indeed talking bollox. What the fans want / wanted is someone who can give us more than 45 mins semi enjoyment in 4 league games. What a snowflake
Johnsons Red Army
Johnson out!

Oh wait.......
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:...to the great dynamic attacking verve in the first half vs Carlisle and the Cup game vs Colchester in the last two home games.

Great that you can pick out 45 minutes of league football to comapre to the rest of the season. I will see your Carlisle with a vastly improved last 45 today. Not saying the vastly improved is good enough. However you are indeed talking bollox. What the fans want / wanted is someone who can give us more than 45 mins semi enjoyment in 4 league games. What a snowflake
Which 45 mins today are you talking about? My family and friends at the game said it was the worst they have seen this season and we look much more of a relegation side than what we did two weeks ago.
Robin

I agree with RCS :shock: :shock: :oops: First half today was hands down the worst I have seen from us with arguably a stronger side. Second half much improved but no different to Crawley or Carlisle where we gave it a go. I thought Mullins and Broom were top quality today, Mooney came on and may have something but then faded. Maddox much better in central midfield, Jones did OK.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:

I agree with RCS :shock: :shock: :oops: First half today was hands down the worst I have seen from us with arguably a stronger side. Second half much improved but no different to Crawley or Carlisle where we gave it a go. I thought Mullins and Broom were top quality today, Mooney came on and may have something but then faded. Maddox much better in central midfield, Jones did OK.
not too sure how you can agree and then say second half was as 'good' as Carlisle ????? Please explain, if RCS holds up 45 mins as an example of what we achieved under GJ and you say the 45 mins today was just as good, then what is the logic ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
Robin wrote:

not too sure how you can agree and then say second half was as 'good' as Carlisle ????? Please explain, if RCS holds up 45 mins as an example of what we achieved under GJ and you say the 45 mins today was just as good, then what is the logic ?
I assume Robin was talking about the second half of Carlisle.

Plus of course Colchester had the game won so let us play a bit more.
Ihearye
RCS I get that. You state "to the great dynamic attacking verve in the first half vs Carlisle and the Cup game vs Colchester in the last two home games.

Only one thing has changed since those games - but hey, it is what the fans wanted."

So we have moved from playing one good 45 min spell to playing another good 45 min spell today. So once again, please explain the contrast?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:RCS I get that. You state "to the great dynamic attacking verve in the first half vs Carlisle and the Cup game vs Colchester in the last two home games.

Only one thing has changed since those games - but hey, it is what the fans wanted."

So we have moved from playing one good 45 min spell to playing another good 45 min spell today. So once again, please explain the contrast?
The contrast:

Carlisle first half: very good and exciting.
Today first half: abject and dire.

Carlisle second half: mediocre at best.
Today second half: mediocre at best.

Today was the first time ever my relative who goes every week called me at HT because it was so bad, and another friend text at HT to say they were contemplating leaving.
Ihearye
Easy to see that you were not at the ground today. The second half was far from mediocre. So you seem to be contrasting a hand picked good half against a hand picked poor half. then basing that on the fans have deserved what they got. Nonsense
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Easy to see that you were not at the ground today. The second half was far from mediocre. So you seem to be contrasting a hand picked good half against a hand picked poor half. then basing that on the fans have deserved what they got. Nonsense
Reports I heard was that second half was poor and Colchester basically eased off, and then peeled up again when we got closer to equalising.
Ihearye
Lord Haw Haw your eyes on the ground ?

Do find it totally amazing people can comment on a match, as you have, without even being there. Thought the least qualification as to how the match was played, or the ability to contrast one performance with another. Was actually to see the match? Seems not. Given you didnt see it, I see little point in commenting further
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Lord Haw Haw your eyes on the ground ?

Do find it totally amazing people can comment on a match, as you have, without even being there. Thought the least qualification as to how the match was played, or the ability to contrast one performance with another. Was actually to see the match? Seems not. Given you didnt see it, I see little point in commenting further
You attended the match, I read your thoughts.

I know others at the match, I listened and reported their views.

Looks like you are saying their views have no place on the forum but yours do?
Hubert Parry
It was easy to appear more than mediocre in the second half. We had no choice but to give it a go and Colchester were happy to sit on their 18 yard line which, of course, would give the impression that we were on top and more than mediocre. Even their fans were chanting for their team to attack.

It was spirited enough but it really is no good if you find yourself 2-0 down at home and not registering a shot until the 33rd minute.

Personally, I think the quality is there in the squad but we were set up incorrectly. There was no structure or shape to our attacking play. I've seen more structure and shape at an under 7s match.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Nothing to do with that., all views very very welcome as long as some consideration given to teh content. I believe that it ill becomes you to write such a statement, based on a call and txts at half time. We can very easily pick other pi55 poor 45 mins under GJ and compare them to the second 45 mins yesterday and make a similar contrast? Again, not any intention to mock or anything else. Just disbelief that you see your comparisons as fair or well judged.
If ANY offence caused, my apologises
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:

Nothing to do with that., all views very very welcome as long as some consideration given to teh content. I believe that it ill becomes you to write such a statement, based on a call and txts at half time. We can very easily pick other pi55 poor 45 mins under GJ and compare them to the second 45 mins yesterday and make a similar contrast? Again, not any intention to mock or anything else. Just disbelief that you see your comparisons as fair or well judged.
If ANY offence caused, my apologises
Accepted. And yes indeed, the point of this forum is for us all to see alternative views to help balance and moderate our own.
Red dog
Ihearye wrote:

Which 45 mins today are you talking about? My family and friends at the game said it was the worst they have seen this season and we look much more of a relegation side than what we did two weeks ago.
Vast is a huge exaggeration, it was a little better in places at best, the distribution is a major problem for to many slpoppy balls and no initiative, the Stickers are going to continue to get very few chances if we don't sort this out. Fans are still surgesting its a forward problem but another game in just proves to me its definitely the midfield and to some degree the Defenders lack of quality balls.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Those I spoke to used the phrase that in previous home games we looked 95% there and lacking 5% whereas yesterday we looked 95% not there!
horlickfanclub
Did your friend leave at half time?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Did your friend leave at half time?
One threatened to but didn’t.

The one who used the phrase cited above did not ever think about leaving at HT. They have never left a game early and never wil.
Robin
A number of people behind the goal in the PRE left at half time and stayed in the pub.
Hubert Parry
I was very close to leaving. I delayed driving down to London to watch this match and regretted doing so
horlickfanclub
I don't regret watching. Work in progress and I am not judging anyone on that game.
asl
I missed the first five minutes (are there any more badly-phased traffic lights in the country than those from the end of the lower high street round past the Brewery????) I kinda wish I'd also missed the remaining 85 mins...
horlickfanclub
Allow an extra 15 minutes since the council closed Boots Corner asl.
Ihearye
asl wrote:I missed the first five minutes (are there any more badly-phased traffic lights in the country than those from the end of the lower high street round past the Brewery????) I kinda wish I'd also missed the remaining 85 mins...
IMHO very harsh. Can't see how anyone could not have watched the second half and thought - potential.

What killed our attack was the playing of JF as an over lapping full back. For some reason we seemed to launch most of our attacks down that wing. Not JF fault, he was just a fish out of water. Also thought Boyle was a bit off the pace on Saturday, especially with his passing game.

In saying all that, Flinders was not too busy all day, so in that respect the score was a bit deceiving. Despite us not being at the races for 45 mins.

A match fit and thus sharper, Tyrone, will be a benefit to us, without a doubt. He wins heads and knows where he should be. If the support gambles a bit and goes for his flick ons, we will get a few goals.

Mooney, looks to play a good ball. Again, it needs someone to read these and get into the spaces, he plays the ball too.

Field was decent at LB. I may be old fashioned, but see the ability to burn up the wing and get a cross in, as secondary to actual defending. However, he seemed solid enough esp in the first half.

Jones is busy and effective, set up Dawson's goal well

As I have said before, just need someone to see the best formation and get the lads playing to it. Who can do that remains to be seen. Only thought on that one is if RM 'wanted' to be a manager, surely he would have gone elsewhere by now ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
asl wrote:I missed the first five minutes (are there any more badly-phased traffic lights in the country than those from the end of the lower high street round past the Brewery????) I kinda wish I'd also missed the remaining 85 mins...
IMHO very harsh. Can't see how anyone could not have watched the second half and thought - potential.

What killed our attack was the playing of JF as an over lapping full back. For some reason we seemed to launch most of our attacks down that wing. Not JF fault, he was just a fish out of water. Also thought Boyle was a bit off the pace on Saturday, especially with his passing game.

In saying all that, Flinders was not too busy all day, so in that respect the score was a bit deceiving. Despite us not being at the races for 45 mins.

A match fit and thus sharper, Tyrone, will be a benefit to us, without a doubt. He wins heads and knows where he should be. If the support gambles a bit and goes for his flick ons, we will get a few goals.

Mooney, looks to play a good ball. Again, it needs someone to read these and get into the spaces, he plays the ball too.

Field was decent at LB. I may be old fashioned, but see the ability to burn up the wing and get a cross in, as secondary to actual defending. However, he seemed solid enough esp in the first half.

Jones is busy and effective, set up Dawson's goal well

As I have said before, just need someone to see the best formation and get the lads playing to it. Who can do that remains to be seen. Only thought on that one is if RM 'wanted' to be a manager, surely he would have gone elsewhere by now ?
What did you think of Forster’s defending? Like you my fear is if we play an attacking round peg at right back in 4-4-2 we won’t be defensively strong enough.

Attacking ability more important if we switch to three at the back and fullbacks.
Ihearye
Defence OK. Don't think he will ever struggle against a big lump of a number 9. May have big issues against a faster forward
Shade
The fact that we should rightfully have had a penalty, when Dawson had his legs taken away from him about 5 foot from the ball (I still can't believe the ref gave those two to them but decided that one WASN'T a penalty...) which, if scored, would have got the game back to 2-2 and were looking like the only team to go on and win it at that stage, proves that a lot of rubbish has been posted in this thread. If the ref wasn't bent then it could have been a very different result, especially if Barnett had buried his chance.

And as for Colchester easing off in the second half - Id be very pissed off at my team if they eased off at 2-0 up away from home and nearly let that go. I think they literally had 4 actual attacks in the second half, and they were mostly late on when we were chucking the kitchen sink at it.
Ihearye
Shade wrote:The fact that we should rightfully have had a penalty, when Dawson had his legs taken away from him about 5 foot from the ball (I still can't believe the ref gave those two to them but decided that one WASN'T a penalty...) which, if scored, would have got the game back to 2-2 and were looking like the only team to go on and win it at that stage, proves that a lot of rubbish has been posted in this thread. If the ref wasn't bent then it could have been a very different result, especially if Barnett had buried his chance.

And as for Colchester easing off in the second half - Id be very pissed off at my team if they eased off at 2-0 up away from home and nearly let that go. I think they literally had 4 actual attacks in the second half, and they were mostly late on when we were chucking the kitchen sink at it.
+1 .......... apart from the Dawson penalty from seat 55 in the CF, it looked like he was either trying to be fancy of couldn't stop in time and went on his @ss
asl
From the paddock, it looked like he stood on the ball as he tried to turn. Dawson himself didn't appeal.
Shade
Must have been watching something else because Dawson appealed strongly and went over the the lino. From seat 78 in the CF I could clearly see Dawson stand on the ball to stop it, take another step and start to turn back, and the the defender went through with his challenge and took Dawson's legs and no ball. He even said after the game he doesn't know how the ref hasn't given him the pen. And the steward that stands down there said to me after the match it was a penalty all day long, and he was ground level about 15 yards away.