Board must act

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
By all accounts the worst performance of the season today.

A new manager needed ASAP.
Ralph
It wasn't good
Benctfc
No where near the worse performance of the season. It was poor but I have seen us play worse this season we at least had some goal threat 2nd half. A poor first half cost us today and we gave ourselves too much to come back from.
Malabus
Let’s be honest we played against 12 men this afternoon. I’m surprised the referee didn’t take the two penalties himself.
Nham68
1st half was insipid,

2nd ha,f I though we were by far the better side.

As soon as Duku was replaced and we went with 2up front , we were a different side.

Could so easily have been 2-2 that would have been a good result vs promotion chasing side.

But need a permanent experienced manager with some nouse. Russ is a great bloke, but not a leader imho.
drgm
Not Russ for the job I'm afraid. If he had the ability to manage he would be doing it somewhere else by now.
Robin
No bias but first half was the worst we've been this season, second half much improved against probably the best side we've faced in the league (who were not great either).
Ihearye
yet again snowflake time - no where near the worst. As all agree first half was rubbish. Second half much more balanced and players seemed to know what was required. Sorry but Forster is slow both Physically and mentally. He kills moves and should be nowhere near the touchline when we are attacking.
Si Robin
Forster is not a right back. So many times he should have been overlapping today, but he knows he doesn't have the pace so doesn't even attempt to.

He's a centre-back playing at right back.
horlickfanclub
The words " no bias" in a Robin post are laughable as is RCS commenting on a game that he was not at. We were second best in the first half but much better in the second . There are some decent players in the squad and reason enough to not panic. Once the new players bed in I think we will pick up points.
paperboy
Well, after the boards carefully choreographed sacking of GJ ( note how all the board were in attendance at Macclesfield and how it was miraculously announced that at the same time as unceremoniously dumping GJ that Russ had agreed to take charge and then one assumes ,travel back with GJ on the same coach) we have heard implausible reasons for taking so long to announce a successor.
The reason being of course that the board have wanted to offer the job to Russ from day one and despite his charm offensive of greeting the fans before the KO at matches etc. he just isn't cut out to be a manager.
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote:Forster is not a right back. So many times he should have been overlapping today, but he knows he doesn't have the pace so doesn't even attempt to.

agree totally
East End Robin
Forster's crossing was poor too. Won a few headers though. I thought a balance of having one full-back that can defend and one that can attack is a good balance. A lot of the ones good going forward are poor defensively. Besides, Forster is only a stop gap until Sean Long is fit - hopefully he'll be decent. It's him or Baldwin at the moment XD
tunnelvision
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:By all accounts the worst performance of the season today.

A new manager needed ASAP.
Not the way I saw the game. Yes, we were 2nd best in the 1st half to a very physical Colchester team, but much better in the 2nd. Neither of the penalties were fouls, but the ref couldn't wait to give either. I doubt whether the free kick from which they scored should have been given either. Didn't see it clearly, but my impression was that their forward ran into Boyle, when he realised he had no chance of getting anywhere near the ball (although I might be wrong). Conversely, we had 3 good penalty appeals, but got none. Also, although we didn't create many scoring chances, I can't remember Flinders having a save to make.

As long as the spirit within the team remains good, and they put in similar effort against other teams, then I can see us picking up points.
asl
The effort was good. Broom and Dawson had good games. Even Forster, while second-best to Nouble, got stuck in well in a position he really doesn't look suited to. Looked lost and didn't really know what to do when he ventured forward yet still didn't have a bad game. Maddox was complete pish in the first half - but was better in the second and showed some clever skills.
Ihearye
asl wrote:The effort was good. Broom and Dawson had good games. Even Forster, while second-best to Nouble, got stuck in well in a position he really doesn't look suited to. Looked lost and didn't really know what to do when he ventured forward yet still didn't have a bad game. Maddox was complete pish in the first half - but was better in the second and showed some clever skills.
Broom MOTM by a mile.
Dawson I am never sure about, first half, well below standard required, but all were. Second half, put a bit more energy into his game. But is that enough ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
Si Robin wrote:Forster is not a right back. So many times he should have been overlapping today, but he knows he doesn't have the pace so doesn't even attempt to.

agree totally
I have viewed him as a CB since day one! Can’t wait for Long to come back.
Alf
Surely Russ is allowed a bit of time to sort the players out and put a team together? How tolerant was the club with Gary he was given 2yrs.
People were saying that Gary shouldn’t have been sacked and should have at least 10 games to form his new players into a team. Why shouldn’t Russ be allowed the same leeway?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:Surely Russ is allowed a bit of time to sort the players out and put a team together? How tolerant was the club with Gary he was given 2yrs.
People were saying that Gary shouldn’t have been sacked and should have at least 10 games to form his new players into a team. Why shouldn’t Russ be allowed the same leeway?
Then appoint him and end the uncertainty.
Robin
Alf wrote:Surely Russ is allowed a bit of time to sort the players out and put a team together? How tolerant was the club with Gary he was given 2yrs.
Then why sack GJ and replace him with Milton?
Malabus
Broom played well yesterday. Worked very hard. I like him.
Si Robin
I thought Broom was poor in the first half, but excellent in the second.

Dawson's tenacity is his greatest strength, and he was also brilliant in the second half.

I thought first half we were a bit soft and (as someone else has said) we were bullied by the Colchester team. Second half we were just as physical and we got a lot more rub of the green, with balls running for our players. Sam Jones started to put himself about a bit as well. Barnett's first challenge on Frankie Kent was fantastic, he knocked him flying and basically said "we shall not be bullied". Col U may have taken their foot off the gas, but we were much more committed in the second half and had Barnett's effort gone in then I don't think Colchester could have complained if we got a point.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
One could argue that the Board have set their own precedent.

Gary opened with two 1-0 defeats as the not completed or fully fit squad got to know each other. A third 1-0 loss where our play warranted us being two or three up at HT followed, then as Duku and Hussey were eased back into the team we got 1-1 draw and he was sacked.

With Duku and Hussey back, Milton opened with a 1-0 win which like the previous loss and draw could have gone either way. And now with new signings we ship three goals at home in the first league game we concede more than one goal in.

Gary was given four games with the new squad, and Russ, after his signings has had one game with his new squad. I am all for giving the new manager time but the Board have put themselves in a sticky position.