Some thoughts on the Colchester defeat

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Can be read here: http://bit.ly/5ThingsColH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
solihullkev
The media campaign to put pressure on to sack Gaz was understandable, though the execution felt a bit unfortunate. The campaign however to support Russ is simply misplaced - we have seen nothing in 3 spells, including yesterday to suggest he is remotely capable of being a successful manager.

To suggest we should pick a manager with links to the club is equally ludicrous. We need to select the best out there rather than restrict to a few ex players none of whom really stand out. We have no shortage of applicants, let's get the very best and not compromise because certain people are good blokes who got on well with the press.

No time for sentiment. We need effectiveness. Of the sort Gaz brought in his first full season, accepting this is a different challenge.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another unemployed manager at the game then - Steve Davis this time.

“Should become clearer in the next fortnight”.....question is, will Robin have got his refund by then?
Artemis
Two disturbing pieces in that article:
"It was always going to get worse before it got better" - so the media, so critical of GJ, are prepared for it to get worse under a new man whilst the new players gel, but not under GJ. I find that both myopic and vindictive

"Should become clearer in the next fortnight” - that's another two league games. I would have thought that the board would a little more urgency than this - perhaps the Chairman doesn't have the free time to expedite the process.
paperboy
....." board met on Friday to discuss...". the announcement of Russ as manager which barring a debacle yesterday would have been made tomorrow.

Probably a blessing in disguise that we didn't turn up in the first half -again.
Robin
From I hear the interviews will be next week, what strikes me is we are not head hunting (despite having funds to do so) and most of the applicants appear poor. Even Steve Davis wouldn't excite me, he had one fantastic season with Crewe but since then has been on a rapid downward slope.

The fact Milton is still unconsideration should give us all cause for concern, I feel the board are dealing with this whole process very badly.
East End Robin
Why is everyone so anti-Milton? It's like this time last week we loved him, because we lose one game now everyone's against him? Russ Milton's Red Army I heard sung yesterday, tide seems to have turned quickly.
asl
Robin wrote:Even Steve Davis wouldn't excite me
That would be...interesting...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
East End Robin wrote:Why is everyone so anti-Milton? It's like this time last week we loved him, because we lose one game now everyone's against him? Russ Milton's Red Army I heard sung yesterday, tide seems to have turned quickly.
It is possible to sing that at games to create a positive atmosphere yet not want Milton to have the job.
Robin
East End Robin wrote:Why is everyone so anti-Milton? It's like this time last week we loved him, because we lose one game now everyone's against him? Russ Milton's Red Army I heard sung yesterday, tide seems to have turned quickly.
Milton was one of my favourite players, he's a nice guy but he's far from what I want as a CTFC manager. I heard the young kids behind the goal chanting for Milton but it soon stopped and was replaced by expletives. The way I see is they are young and passionate but don't really know what they want just change and success.
Si Robin
I agree with Robin, he's a great guy, a playing legend for the club, and no doubt a decent coach. The problem with Milton is that he doesn't appear to have the discipline required and I think has shown in his previous attempts that he doesn't have the tactical nous.

I don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, so I don't think we should get rid of Milton altogether, but I don't have faith in him to be the number 1.

Should be pointed out that I also heard the Jerry Gill song being sung yesterday, so not just hope for Milton to be given the job.

Steve Davis would be a disaster, Nick Powell got them promoted in 2012, not him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:I agree with Robin, he's a great guy, a playing legend for the club, and no doubt a decent coach. The problem with Milton is that he doesn't appear to have the discipline required and I think has shown in his previous attempts that he doesn't have the tactical nous.

I don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, so I don't think we should get rid of Milton altogether, but I don't have faith in him to be the number 1.

Should be pointed out that I also heard the Jerry Gill song being sung yesterday, so not just hope for Milton to be given the job.

Steve Davis would be a disaster, Nick Powell got them promoted in 2012, not him.
Great to read that the Jerry Gill song was heard.

I wonder if JP put £10 on Davis before writing that piece; his odds have shortened and now 5th favourite: https://www.oddschecker.com/football/fo ... nt-manager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Jerry Gill has drifted out to 25-1 now as books seem to believe it's between Duff, Devaney, Milton and Slade.
Malabus
"A degree of patience is required"
As fans we have been far too patient. I can't even remember the last time seeing a whole game and Cheltenham winning.
little mo
Robin wrote:Jerry Gill has drifted out to 25-1 now as books seem to believe it's between Duff, Devaney, Milton and Slade.
Devaney or Slade. WTF.
I am hearing that Sean Derry is in the mix. Currently coaching at Oxford.
I-Love-CTFC
Shaun Derry has now been added on SkyBet at 16/1.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Steve Davis in to 10/1 now, not far behind Slade at 7/1.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/fo ... nt-manager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lord Elpuz
Some crazy bets going in. Who in their right mind is sticking money on Paul Buckle? Is this an indication that very few people are taking a punt on who will be next manager so that just one or two silly bets are skewing the order, or is there an exercise in smoke and mirrors going on to hide an obvious runaway favourite? I’m surprised Arnold Schwarzenegger’s name isn’t included.

If the list is a true reflection of possible outcomes, the phrase “careful what you wish for” is going to be echoing around Johnny Rocks Stadium very shortly.
Robin
Shaun Derry, another I would steer well clear of. People wanted GJ sacked but some of the names being thrown around are significantly worse.