Forest Green Rovers v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this evening: http://bit.ly/FGRvCTFCTrophy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Good job I haven't decided to go...not that it was ever in question. I've just seen it's a 7.30 kick off. Strong team we've named though, with Rhys Lovett the only one you'd think definitely wouldn't get a first team start if everyone else was fit.
I-Love-CTFC
Pretty shambolic first half by all accounts. Forest Green totally dominant. Hope the new manager comes in as soon as possible.
kiaora84
Watching the game on iFollow. Forest green reserves are cutting through us at will. We look so unfit and slow compared to them. Lovett has no composure when the ball is at his feet.

JF strangely looks like a CB playing RB.
Everything Boyle and Mullins do is last ditch (no composure)
the LB is ok on the ball but either gets beaten or gives away a foul.
Dawson I don’t understand how he has played any higher than National league level. Clements tidy on the ball, doesn’t seem very mobile.
Broom and Jones look lost.
Mooney non-existent
Duku looks out of his depth

Tactically, Milton isn’t strong enough. Hats off to Cooper he’s built a squad that knows how to play attractive football
darreno
Nevermind, so long as the new manager has an historic association with the club then we'll be alright I'm sure :roll:
kiaora84
darreno wrote:Nevermind, so long as the new manager has an historic association with the club then we'll be alright I'm sure :roll:
Based on what I have seen this season, whoever is in charge will need a historical association with the magical circle if they want to keep us in this league.
MittonRobin
Horrific first half ! Men v boys ! Local rivals taking the p!## ! The club is doomed at the minute it’s All over the place ! New manager needed weeks ago .. we will leave it too late soon !
darreno
We need a suitably qualified and experienced manager who had been there and got the t-shirt. And quickly.
I-Love-CTFC
Checkatrade or not it's pretty embarrassing. Forest Green look lightyears ahead of us. Forster cannot continue to play at right back.
Robin
I said this last week and a group shouted me down because we had got a flukey win over Cambridge and a flattering 1-0 defeat by Brentford. Others appear to be waking up to this now, it's starting to feel like a mistake sacking GJ.
darreno
It's clearly going to be a long hard slog with the squad we have now. And with six loans, it all seems like Allan/Buckle all over again.
Sprout Picker
Robin wrote:I said this last week and a group shouted me down because we had got a flukey win over Cambridge and a flattering 1-0 defeat by Brentford. Others appear to be waking up to this now, it's starting to feel like a mistake sacking GJ.
Totally agree Robin. The team was starting to gel together and now we look to be unravelling fast. As someone said elsewhere on here it's a decent load of individuals but the team is less than the sum of its parts.

Far too hasty getting rid of GJ and the season is fast becoming an utter shambles.
Benctfc
I don't think anyone wanted the job handed to Milton after the Cambridge match most said he had done enough to deserve a chance to stake his claim for a couple of games that has happened and it looks like he is showing he isn't the man to take us forward. What he has done is buy the board time to find the best possible candidate it is now important and necessary a new manager is appoionted as soon as possible.
Robin
Last Friday there were people on here saying give Russ the job.
Benctfc
Sprout Picker wrote:
Robin wrote:I said this last week and a group shouted me down because we had got a flukey win over Cambridge and a flattering 1-0 defeat by Brentford. Others appear to be waking up to this now, it's starting to feel like a mistake sacking GJ.
Totally agree Robin. The team was starting to gel together and now we look to be unravelling fast. As someone said elsewhere on here it's a decent load of individuals but the team is less than the sum of its parts.

Far too hasty getting rid of GJ and the season is fast becoming an utter shambles.
What did you see in the games GJ managed to suggest he would have done better? Tbf Milton got treble the points he did in 2 less games than GJ managed this season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Most (not those who have been against him for ages) were confident that we wouldn’t go down with Gary, that his experience and nous would keep us up, even if lurching from transfer window to transfer window relying on short-term January saviours.

The point of sacking Gary I thought was to move forward from that to a manager with more dynamism and a vision to take us to a stage of looking to promotion and not merely keeping us up and safe.

That evidently is not the case with Milton and we need the right appointment as soon as possible. And it has to be right. We won’t bounce back like we did last time if another Buckle style appointment is made sending the club into turmoil.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Benctfc wrote:
Sprout Picker wrote:

What did you see in the games GJ managed to suggest he would have done better? Tbf Milton got treble the points he did in 2 less games than GJ managed this season.
By all accounts the Cambridge win was just as ‘in the balance’ as the Crawley second half, Carlisle game and Macc game which could all have gone either way or ended in draws.

I think it is unfair to use Carabao Cup and Checkatrade Trophy games in the assessment for either man.
Sprout Picker
Benctfc wrote:
Sprout Picker wrote:

I saw us get a result against Colchester. I also saw a new squad starting to get to know one another that was slowly (too slowly, obviously) improving. We weren't conceding many goals and it could be argued that we were a bit unlucky not to get something in the home games against both Crawley and Carlisle.

Not sure one lucky win at Cambridge signifies that we've turned some sort of corner and results / performances since seem to vindicate that view.

GJ needed to deliver a vastly improved campaign after the last two, no question, but thus far I really don't see what we have achieved.
Benctfc
I think its fair to say no one will know whether it was a success until later in the season. I hope whoever the new manager may be the club and fans pull together as one and back him.
Scarface
Gary should of gone at the end of last season, let someone else build a new squad.

Either that, or let him have 10/12 games to get his new team to gel.

In the end, weve ended up in what feels like no mans land.

I would say that all the signings have been pretty poor.... no one has replaced Eisa (fairly tall order), Pell and Winchester
Robin
How can you describe the signing of Jonny Mullins as poor? He's been our best out field player by some distance this season.
Scarface
One player out of 12/13...

Unfortunately one player doesn’t make a team, Robin.

I bet he’s questioning what he’s got himself into!
Robin
Hussey I would say is class, Long will be decent, Addei and Kalala lots of potential.
Scarface
Hussey class but concerning fitness, Long second choice at Lincoln but jury still out, Addai didn’t even make the match day squad and Kalala = potential yes, but we’re not in a position to rely on non-league potentials.

4-0 is a bloody joke, second string FGR team for god sake.
Benctfc
What has happened to Adai he wasnt great but surely good enough to at least get on the bench in this squad?
darreno
Too many player on the books. RM knows that but I'm not confident he knows what the best squad is or how to get us playing in a way that suits us.
I-Love-CTFC
All the people wanting Russ to get the job have gone into hiding. After the win at Cambridge and the walk around town people were clamouring for him to get the job. He's shown he's not a manager. We need someone to instil some discipline in this squad. The squad is an absolute mess, players on 2 year contracts who aren't even good enough. How many of the squad actually look like they genuinely care?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Hussey I would say is class, Long will be decent, Addei and Kalala lots of potential.
Hussey and Long both good to very good for this level. But not if they aren’t fit enough. Did we gamble on fitness to get affordable players? And no back-ups of required quality in those positions.

Tozer good enough but doesn’t suit the current system or formation. The rest too inexperienced to make an impact after so few games.

Selling Mo the error, followed by not replacing him.

Flinders

Long
Forster
Mullins
Boyle
Hussey

Dawson
Tozer
Jones

Barnett
?

That has the basis of a decent side at this level.

4-0, but not the league so can’t judge with full waiting.

But looking at all comps for a second:

Johnson: games 5, goals for 3, goals against 6, 3 losses, 2 draws.

Milton: games 4, goals for 2, goals against 8, 3 loses, 1 win.

The goals columns are telling.
kiaora84
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:Hussey I would say is class, Long will be decent, Addei and Kalala lots of potential.
Hussey and Long both good to very good for this level. But not if they aren’t fit enough. Did we gamble on fitness to get affordable players? And no back-ups of required quality in those positions.

Tozer good enough but doesn’t suit the current system or formation. The rest too inexperienced to make an impact after so few games.

Selling Mo the error, followed by not replacing him.

Flinders

Long
Forster
Mullins
Boyle
Hussey

Dawson
Tozer
Jones

Barnett
?

That has the basis of a decent side at this level.

4-0, but not the league so can’t judge with full waiting.

But looking at all comps for a second:

Johnson: games 5, goals for 3, goals against 6, 3 losses, 2 draws.

Milton: games 4, goals for 2, goals against 8, 3 loses, 1 win.

The goals columns are telling.
No pace or creativity
Red Duke
Just watched the Robins on @ifollow

I can't believe how bad CTFC were. They were completed outclassed by a second string FGR. It was an embarrasment to watch.

No movement.
Too slow.
No creativity.
No team work.
Clueless
Tactically inept.

I am sorry but RM is not the man for the job.

It is going to be a big challenge whoever is appointed to save this team from relegation.
Scarface
Well hopefully the lads can all bond on the town again tonight... beat the barman at lounge 72
I-Love-CTFC
Don't worry guys, the lads will probably all go for a coffee in town tomorrow and everything will be just fine.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Scarface wrote:Well hopefully the lads can all bond on the town again tonight... beat the barman at lounge 72
I do hope none were only at 95% tonight due to excess on Saturday. It can take 2-3 days for physiology to be back to normal after a few drinks on a night out, and in professional sport even 1% off colour is recipe for being beaten easily.
darreno
Where's the Milton interview?
Benctfc
darreno wrote:Where's the Milton interview?
Hasn't taken place yet I beleive Jon Palmer tweeted to say he hadn't come out yet back at 10 oclock.