What excuses will Jon Palmer come up with....

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

solihullkev
....to avoid Milton getting criticised " It was down to Johnson - he told Russ what formation to play"

Forget five things we learnt from tonight ; we learnt one. Russ ain't good enough.
Horteng
Lol
Robin
It's noticeable how the posters who were criticising GJ constantly then recently complimenting Milton have all gone very quiet.
I-Love-CTFC
Malabus spot on with his twitter post, rudderless ship is exactly what it is. Big week ahead for the board.
Benctfc
It's pretty obvious Milton isn't good enough the same as Johnson proved with his 100+ games in the league with us. Ultimately GJ has left us with a shocking squad he signed 90% of these players and the potential new manager will have a massive job on to keep us in the league.

I think it is important now to move on and the whole club to rally behind whoever the new manager is and give them our full support as they are going to need it!
Robin
Clearly doesn't matter now but I doubt we lose 4-0 tonight with GJ still in charge.
vickeryc
It is obvious we would never have got stuffed by such a scoreline with GJ at the helm.
solihullkev
It would help the club if we could avoid the "must have played for Cheltenham" criteria for a new manager. It will be a tough job from a big pool without restricting our options unnecessarily.

Too much living in the past. Need to be forward looking and quit the nostalgia.
Benctfc
The real people to blame are the board imo. It was clear GJ had lost the plot in the last few home games last season the FGR and Coventry games were a disgrace. He needed to go in the Summer and a new man come in with a Summer to build instead we let Johnson build an awful squad and not replace key players. We could have had McCann here but he's now looking at breaking into the championship... what a missed opportunity.
I-Love-CTFC
solihullkev wrote:It would help the club if we could avoid the "must have played for Cheltenham" criteria for a new manager. It will be a tough job from a big pool without restricting our options unnecessarily.

Spot on. An experienced head is what is needed. We cannot afford to take a gamble in the position we're in. Who do we go for? Keith Curle? Steve Davis?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Clearly doesn't matter now but I doubt we lose 4-0 tonight with GJ still in charge.
Precisely.

Likely to have been a 0-0 or 1-1 or 1-0 either way, and he would have slated for failing to beat FGR reserves comfortably.
Robin
Curle will get us organised, hard to beat and safely in mid-table but no better than that. I'd be ok with taking him for one year.
Nesty
Benctfc wrote:The real people to blame are the board imo. It was clear GJ had lost the plot in the last few home games last season the FGR and Coventry games were a disgrace. He needed to go in the Summer and a new man come in with a Summer to build instead we let Johnson build an awful squad and not replace key players. We could have had McCann here but he's now looking at breaking into the championship... what a missed opportunity.
Spot on
kiaora84
McCann wanted the job, board bottled getting rid of GJ
Robin
There were rumours that we looked at Grant McCann in the spring but Paul Baker blocked it. Not sure entirely how close anything was to being agreed.
Lord Elpuz
I-Love-CTFC wrote:
solihullkev wrote:It would help the club if we could avoid the "must have played for Cheltenham" criteria for a new manager. It will be a tough job from a big pool without restricting our options unnecessarily.

Spot on. An experienced head is what is needed. We cannot afford to take a gamble in the position we're in. Who do we go for? Keith Curle? Steve Davis?
Echoes of Martin Allen and Paul Buckle, here. I think this is why some are nervous about going outside of the old firm.

We are now rolling the dice again, but whatever anyone thinks about the current squad and whether it can be moulded into a winning unit, there will be another transfer window in January and we do have some cash. We’ve just got to make the right managerial appointment.

Hold on, it’s going to be a bumpy ride.
Benctfc
Problem is Baker is too loyal and his loyalty towards Johnson has put us in this mess. I get the feeling if Wilcox had his way Johnson would have been gone last season.
kiaora84
Robin wrote:There were rumours that we looked at Grant McCann in the spring but Paul Baker blocked it. Not sure entirely how close anything was to being agreed.
I was told contact was made, he was keen, but the new board felt it was too late in the day and to much of a risk with the planned recruitment.
Scarface
Didn’t realise we could’ve got Mcann, that would’ve been a coup.

Young, driven, league experience and Cheltenham heritage = no brainer!
kiaora84
Scarface wrote:Didn’t realise we could’ve got Mcann, that would’ve been a coup.

Young, driven, league experience and Cheltenham heritage = no brainer!
Only repeating what I heard. But I have no reason to disbelieve it
Benctfc
I heard McCann was keen but the board backed Johnson
Scarface
Very interesting- I can believe it was true.

Hindsight a wonderful thing though..... shame
CTFC03
Baker did wonders for us but he was far too loyal to whoever was in charge and gave everybody an easy ride and wasn't brave enough to say goodbye to Johnson which he should have, if Baker was still here and Johnson wasn't we would get tonnes of applicants because of A) the Eisa money and B) you are guaranteed an easy ride, you look at other clubs like Peterborough, Notts County, Northampton when it goes wrong for a sustained period of time they change the manager in most cases, we don't - I thought McCann was harshly sacked by Peterborough but to be fair to their owner he came out and was totally honest and said he couldn't recommend him highly enough they just wanted to go in a different direction. I too think if it had been down to Wilcox we would have had a clean slate.
darreno
And we've got a really tough run games coming up too.
vickeryc
darreno wrote:And we've got a really tough run games coming up too.
When you're in our position, every game is tough.
Robin
Northampton have had a similar start to the season as us winning one game. Hopefully the new manager is in then because this squad really isn't that bad and no where near the level of the relegation season or even the one first season under Yates (Smikle etc.).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Northampton have had a similar start to the season as us winning one game. Hopefully the new manager is in then because this squad really isn't that bad and no where near the level of the relegation season or even the one first season under Yates (Smikle etc.).
Some absolute fools on twitter saying this team is worse than the relegation side.

As I justified on another thread, this looks to be the best squad we have had for five years in my view.
Lord Elpuz
The young tykes venting their wrath on Twitter are predictable. As predicatable even, as those on here kicking out and blaming anyone and everyone, even turning on the local reporter. It’s difficult stomaching such a defeat at the hands of our neighbours and waking up to the reality that we have lost our crown - but that is the reality.

Standing around arguing and pointing fingers is not the answer. We are a club in crisis, with no leadership anywhere and it needs someone to come in and get a grip before the confidence drains away completely. There is a match winning set of players in our squad and that has to be rediscovered urgently and we have to start getting points back on the board by winning ugly, at least for the next 10 games. All that is happening at the moment is that we have the very ill-advised making the biggest noises and thinking they have the answer by trying to find someone to blame and all that does is create a toxic atmosphere. If that continues we are doomed.
Ihearye
vickeryc wrote:It is obvious we would never have got stuffed by such a scoreline with GJ at the helm.
Hmmmmm let me think, last game at home last season. But you arte right his excelent record against FGR would have seen us home and hosed.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:Clearly doesn't matter now but I doubt we lose 4-0 tonight with GJ still in charge.
Precisely.

Likely to have been a 0-0 or 1-1 or 1-0 either way, and he would have slated for failing to beat FGR reserves comfortably.
And. Quite rightly too. Spend all summer bringing in a new squad that can't beat FGR second string. Why wouldn't he get slated???
Ihearye
Lord E nothing about kicking and screaming. It is the old well positioned view of Sir Alex. It is not the defeat, it is how you respond to it. It would seem our response to Saturdays defeat was not as required. At any level
Alf
Robin wrote:It's noticeable how the posters who were criticising GJ constantly then recently complimenting Milton have all gone very quiet.
I don’t think any of the posters have said that Russ is the Messiah and the answer to all our problems. Just saying, give him a chance, see if he is a better prospect than he was previously. People were prepared to give Gary ten more games so why not Russ? I agree that the game last night could be a decisive moment for the Board. It doesn’t matter what comp it was, it was a game that we needed to win. If we had put four past them it wouldn’t have done Russ’s chances any harm but I would say the players let him down last night and that’s that.
I think Pep Guardiola would struggle here at the moment.
Artemis
If we believe that the players are good enough - and many of them have decent record - then I suggest its tactical acumen we need to get them organised and playing as a team.

Nicholson is the man for me. Just as the Cowleys' are for Lincoln.
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:Northampton have had a similar start to the season as us winning one game. Hopefully the new manager is in then because this squad really isn't that bad and no where near the level of the relegation season or even the one first season under Yates (Smikle etc.).
Some absolute fools on twitter saying this team is worse than the relegation side.

As I justified on another thread, this looks to be the best squad we have had for five years in my view.
Sprout Picker
Artemis wrote:If we believe that the players are good enough - and many of them have decent record - then I suggest its tactical acumen we need to get them organised and playing as a team.

Nicholson is the man for me. Just as the Cowleys' are for Lincoln.
Agree, think he would be a decent appointment.