Cheltenam / Forestgreen or Gloucester city

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longtimerobin
Just looking twenty years ahead will be still sat in the old main stand at Whaddon road or if things continue to slide as at the moment and Cheltenham fold would we be changing our support to Gloucester city or Forestgreen. Think hard, I know which one i'd choose if I wanted to watch football in Gloucestershire.

Come on Robins get your act togeather
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If Cheltenham Town ever fell into such an abyss then rather than switch to Gloucester, I would advocate the Tigers change their name to Gloucestershire County, and then support them.
Red Duke
If ever were to happen, a phoenix of a new club would rise from the ashes and would follow the path to return to FL like Accrington Stanley.
Robin
I couldn't imagine Cheltenham not being the best supported team in Gloucestershire, you could add the total fan base of FGR, Glos City and double it and Chelt would still be bigger.
The Old TomCat
Robin wrote:I couldn't imagine Cheltenham not being the best supported team in Gloucestershire, you could add the total fan base of FGR, Glos City and double it and Chelt would still be bigger.
The combined average attendance last season for both FGR & Gloucester is 2,772 + 284 = 3,056
Average attendance during same period for Cheltenham is 3,172.
So yes Cheltenham has a bigger average attendance than both the other two main Gloucestershire clubs combined but not double.

But should by a stroke of misfortune, which I hope does not happen, and Cheltenham go bust the obvious choice for Cheltenham based football lovers would be Bishop Cleeve FC.
After that there is choice of Kidderminster or Hereford who are both sleeping giants.
Those wishing to watch games in the Football League and disregarding FGR, they would have choice of Swindon, Oxford, Newport or Walsall as options.
Then of course there are the Birmingham clubs: WBA, Aston Villa, Wolves or Birmingham.
Therefore plenty of nearby choices.

Most genuine FGR supporters do not want to see Cheltenham relegated and go broke. Check out the FGR forum for confirmation.
What both sets of supporters want is to finish season above their local rivals.
Obviously Cheltenham have the bragging rights in that department.
At present time Cheltenham are not in an automatic relegation spot while FGR are in last promotion play off place. So realistically there will be two ElGlosico matches next season which would be fantastic for both clubs:
1. The ElGlosico matches will be amongst the best attended games for both clubs: plenty of income and razz
2. The ElGlosico games are good for both clubs: 2016 Cheltenham was incentivized by close local competition to win National League while last season FGR had the incentive of Cheltenham match to remain in Football League. Guaranteed both teams will raise their game whenever we meet.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
OTC vs Robin numbers fight!! Like Trump vs Kim twitter head to head.
The Old TomCat
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:OTC vs Robin numbers fight!! Like Trump vs Kim twitter head to head.
:lol:
Red Duke
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:OTC vs Robin numbers fight!! Like Trump vs Kim twitter head to head.
I have a stat but it is bigger and more accurate than your stat!
Shade
As Red Duke said, If Cheltenham Town Football Club were to ever go bust, Cheltenham Football Club (I don't think there is one?) would basically do what Hereford have done/are doing and rise again. With the town crest as a badge and a ruby shirt, I'd hope...

Also, I'd imagine Robin was meaning that if you went around Gloucestershire and asked people which local football club they pledge their allegiance to, of those that would reply Cheltenham Town would be the overwhelming winner.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:As Red Duke said, If Cheltenham Town Football Club were to ever go bust, Cheltenham Football Club (I don't think there is one?) would basically do what Hereford have done/are doing and rise again. With the town crest as a badge and a ruby shirt, I'd hope...

Also, I'd imagine Robin was meaning that if you went around Gloucestershire and asked people which local football club they pledge their allegiance to, of those that would reply Cheltenham Town would be the overwhelming winner.
At least by the time we get back to National South level we might have a derby at a new build stadium with good access in Gloucester rather than the inaccessible dangerous biohazard dump in Nailsworth.
SHANDY VOR
Good evening gentlemen.

I see nothing changes, Robin still doesn't know his cardinal arse from his ordinal elbow. OTC is of course numerically on the button, and I would also disagree with Robin's thoughts on fan base. There is so much latent support in the City if we could only get our act together, certainly more than half of your floaters and bobbers.

And I entirely agree with those of you who wouldn't swap their allegiance between Gloucestershire's big 3. How could you?

And RCS, 135,000 posts later you still believe that Town could merge with City, or even play within in the City limits. It's never going to happen mate. There would be riots on the streets of Hester's Way and Barton Street, armed checkpoints in Churchdown.
Alf
I would think that with Duffo at the helm we will be moving up rather than down, he is obviously well thought of and will have good connections. There is a lot of ambition at our football club it just needs channeling in the right direction.
Robin
Ambition and latent potential is there, to grow much further I just hope Duffo is the one to realise that potential.
Alf
Many of us can remember a young Steve Cotterill coming to manage us and supporters were sceptical at the time, so fingers crossed and good luck Michael. I’m sure you’ll get a standing ovation tomorrow!