Duff to be announced tomorrow

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Benctfc
JP has tweeted. Lets hope its the start of a positive new era for the club and we all get behind him.
Jon Palmer
http://bit.ly/CTFCManager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
solihullkev
Gamble but happy to get behind him and team.

Last 3 weeks have been a shambles to get here.
little mo
Welcome home Duffo :D :D
Johnsons Red Army
solihullkev wrote:Gamble but happy to get behind him and team.

Last 3 weeks have been a shambles to get here.
Agree, huge gamble. Personally would still rather GJ in the helm over a gamble (as I feel he would have definitely kept us up), HOWEVER it is what it is, so I will also be happy to get behind the new manager and hope we start moving onwards and upwards.
Ralph
Welcome home Duffo. Loan players from Burnley now then
Shade
Ralph wrote:Welcome home Duffo. Loan players from Burnley now then

Should be at least 9 months before everyone starts moaning about that happening.

He's starting at 0 and hopefully won't ever go into negative in my personal management rating system, but I've got a feeling he's going to do well. Now to see who his backroom staff are going to be...
Horteng
Wow massive gamble but let’s get behind him
little mo
If I were Michael I would clear the decks. Bring your own backroom staff, start afresh. Doubt it will happen because he played with Russell and Bookie and is probably mates,but he will need to make some big calls if he is to succeed.
Ihearye
As per yesterday's dog walking retrospective. This might just work! Take the personality out of the equation and the grounding etc is laudable. Also much better imho to get someone on an upward journey. Rather than the reverse.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Welcome Duffo.

Premier League experience, learned from Sean Dyche. Set for a decent managerial career and glad it’s starting with us.

I am excited, if not uncertain.

And I’ll be the first to say it.....free pork scratchings for every fan at the first home game?
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Welcome Duffo.

Premier League experience, learned from Sean Dyche. Set for a decent managerial career and glad it’s starting with us.

I am excited, if not uncertain.

And I’ll be the first to say it.....free pork scratchings for every fan at the first home game?
We will never forget you Bobby Gill ;)
Jerry St Clair
Interesting that so many see it as a gamble. It looks really ambitious and forward thinking to me. Sean Dyche is, arguably, the best English manager around and has seen enough coaching talent in Duff to promote him twice.

This will hopefully bring fresh, innovative training and recruitment as well as modern tactical thinking to a club that had gone stale. Oh, he’s going to need time to rebuild from the sorry mess GJ left behind, but with his history i’m sure he’ll get it.
ctfc-fan
I personally think it’s a massive gamble but of course hope it works out. Just because he’s been in the back room staff and promoted doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll make a good manager of his own making.

I think he needs a director of football/father figure in Steve Cotterill....!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:I personally think it’s a massive gamble but of course hope it works out. Just because he’s been in the back room staff and promoted doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll make a good manager of his own making.

He has been managing the U23s.

Managing that level for a Premier League side is an achievement in itself, let us not denigrate that.
Robin
It's definitely a big gamble but I believe he was probably the best pick from a rather uninspiring list. I hope we are sensible and only offer him an initial deal until the end of the season because if it doesn't work out we need to act quickly and decisively next time to retain our football league status.
Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote:Interesting that so many see it as a gamble. It looks really ambitious and forward thinking to me. Sean Dyche is, arguably, the best English manager around and has seen enough coaching talent in Duff to promote him twice.

This will hopefully bring fresh, innovative training and recruitment as well as modern tactical thinking to a club that had gone stale. Oh, he’s going to need time to rebuild from the sorry mess GJ left behind, but with his history i’m sure he’ll get it.
Jolley at Grimsby was exactly the same and he's hardly setting the world a light up in Lincolnshire. I agree it could work but it could equally go south very quickly so we need to monitor and if things don't turn around be prepared to bring the axe quickly.
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:I personally think it’s a massive gamble but of course hope it works out. Just because he’s been in the back room staff and promoted doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll make a good manager of his own making.

He has been managing the U23s.

Managing that level for a Premier League side is an achievement in itself, let us not denigrate that.
Keith Downing was with Wolves and England but people aren’t so keen on his time here.

Any manager, new or old, can go right or wrong however these current players need a rocket up their arses and is MD the one to do that?
Robin
FGR game aside I've seen nothing to suggest motivation isn't there in this team they need organisation and consistency more than anything. Although I do concede motivation could become a problem given our now big squad size.
Red Duke
With any appointment there is a risk especially a Football League Manager. It is probably one of the most insecure jobs you could have. How many are still in the same job in 2 years later? Very few.
kiaora84
I know Duffo. I can promise you that he will succeed. He is the sort of person that excels in everything. I do feel he needs an experienced number 2 though.
horlickfanclub
Great appointment.
MittonRobin
Typical Cheltenham. Cheapest option probably. Huge Gamble that will probably bite them in the ass. Hoping for the best though. Good Luck Duffo
Red Duke
MittonRobin wrote:Typical Cheltenham. Cheapest option probably. Huge Gamble that will probably bite them in the ass. Hoping for the best though. Good Luck Duffo
Surely the cheapest option would have been RM as he is already employed by CTFC.
kiaora84
MittonRobin wrote:Typical Cheltenham. Cheapest option probably. Huge Gamble that will probably bite them in the ass. Hoping for the best though. Good Luck Duffo
Cheapest option? If there is any compensation to be paid he’s probably the most expensive!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
kiaora84 wrote:
Cheapest option? If there is any compensation to be paid he’s probably the most expensive!
Exactly, senior level coach at a Premier League club. Hardly cheap. Especially if you look at the players who have come up from the Burnley youth to the England World Cup squad.
Nesty
welcome home Duffo
paperboy
Robin wrote:It's definitely a big gamble but I believe he was probably the best pick from a rather uninspiring list. I hope we are sensible and only offer him an initial deal until the end of the season because if it doesn't work out we need to act quickly and decisively next time to retain our football league status.
Great appointment, but no guarantees of course.

Will be given a minimum of two year contract.

Who would leave a club like Burnley for a ten month stint.

Think that AW said that whoever came in would have to work with current staff.

Will he look to bring in brother Shane in some capacity?
kora
Worked for Danny Cowley, might do the same here.
kora
Worked for Danny Cowley, might do the same here.
milestones
Very happy with that - a born winner.
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Can’t enough of the wonderful...
Horteng
Reckon we will see Shane D back in some capacity too. Coach or scout
Robin
So with having a 28 man squad you now want to pay off Downes, Milton or Pete Johnson to accomodate Shane Duff?