Signing of a free agent

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Expected today: http://bit.ly/CTFCFreeAgen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Red Duke
Add a t to the link above, and it will work.

full link

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... wn-1979530" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I-Love-CTFC
Craig Alcock, experienced defender. Surprised he was still a free agent. I’m sure we were linked with him in the summer.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I feel more clubs could have been squeezed into the headline. Then the google and twitter hits from people / algorithms searching those clubs (which is why JP does it) would be even higher!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Craig Alcock, experienced defender. Surprised he was still a free agent. I’m sure we were linked with him in the summer.
Article says he rejected us to sign for a higher team but it fell through and now he wants first team footy.

Good to have a proper RB in place so we don’t have to rush Long back.
horlickfanclub
Good signing.
Nesty
we need a free agent striker next
Robin
Good signing but we now have four players who can play right back and I thought Long would be back soon. Once again though it shows the panic signing of Baldwind (and MacAlindon) over the summer to be crazy.
Nesty
Robin wrote:Good signing but we now have four players who can play right back and I thought Long would be back soon. Once again though it shows the panic signing of Baldwind (and MacAlindon) over the summer to be crazy.
time will show just how many of our summer signings to have been crazy
Fuller
Robin wrote:Good signing but we now have four players who can play right back and I thought Long would be back soon. Once again though it shows the panic signing of Baldwind (and MacAlindon) over the summer to be crazy.

Well that's four more RB's than we had last season :lol:

Note sure if Baldwin will hang around now and his loan with Bristol City might finish early, Forster is not really a full back and Long injured. So looks a good signing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Can play and should play are different things.

Long = first or second choice but injured.

Alcock = first or second choice but not match fit as not had a club.

Forster = round peg who is a CB.

Baldwin = 3rd or 4th choice and can be sent back down the M5 when Long and Alcock are up and running.

So for me, I view it as two RBs competing for the position which is exactly what we need in every position.
Nesty
Robin
Fuller wrote:

Note sure if Baldwin will hang around now and his loan with Bristol City might finish early, Forster is not really a full back and Long injured. So looks a good signing.
I'm definitely with you that it's a good signing but I am puzzled about Baldwin and presumably we have to continue to pay his wages until January even though he has virtually no chance of making the squad. I said at the time that it was an odd signing and to be honest he's looked one of our poorest players in the games I've seen. Like Taylor Moore he's a headless chicken at right back so I just hope he's cheap!
paperboy
Robin wrote:
Fuller wrote:

I'm definitely with you that it's a good signing but I am puzzled about Baldwin and presumably we have to continue to pay his wages until January even though he has virtually no chance of making the squad. I said at the time that it was an odd signing and to be honest he's looked one of our poorest players in the games I've seen. Like Taylor Moore he's a headless chicken at right back so I just hope he's cheap!
Well it's only a short term contract so it's up to him-let's hope he is semi-fit which has been an issue with some signings.
We've been pretty unfortunate that both full backs have been injured at the start of the season.

GJ thought that Baldwin would be a good stand in for Long ,but sadly not.
Maddox has been a great success so nobody gets every loan right.

Taylor Moore gone to Southend on loan.
Shade
I'd beg to differ about Maddox. What has he actually done yet? Similar to Sellars in that he looks pretty good but doesn't produce very much end product.
little mo
I think Maddox is good, and will become a very good footballer.
Robin
Agree, I really like Maddox looks a great prospect we need to build the midfield around him.
Ihearye
With shade on this one. He may well develop into a good footballer. Question is when? We need him to be a good footballer now. Reminds me of when we signed the Pepsi ball juggling champion. Sadly his juggling skills did not mean much on a pitch
Jon Palmer
Apologies for the link, here it is in full!

http://bit.ly/CTFCFreeAgent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:With shade on this one. He may well develop into a good footballer. Question is when? We need him to be a good footballer now. Reminds me of when we signed the Pepsi ball juggling champion. Sadly his juggling skills did not mean much on a pitch
With both of you. Quick feet and step overs ain’t gonna do it in the men’s game at L2 or any level. Not sure we can afford to carry him in games - we need someone happy to tackle and be tackled hard, whilst also happy to offload forwards, cross or dribble. Dawson and Jones both important in this regard.

Anyway, if Shade, Confused and RCS all agree that pretty much means it’s true.
Malabus
Can we actually buy a player. Fed with these c!#p free agents and shitty kids on loan.
I hope the first thing Russell Slade does is to sent the kids back to their respected clubs.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:Can we actually buy a player. Fed with these c!#p free agents and shitty kids on loan.
I hope the first thing Russell Slade does is to sent the kids back to their respected clubs.
Is Slade coaxing Claridge out then?
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Malabus wrote:Can we actually buy a player. Fed with these c!#p free agents and shitty kids on loan.
Steve Davis was a reliable piece of information passed to me in a encrypted email.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:
Steve Davis was a reliable piece of information passed to me in a encrypted email.
POIDH
SHANDY VOR
POIDH?

p!## off idiot dick head?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:POIDH?

Ha. Funny but nope.
ctfc-fan
Luther Blissett was sneaking out of Starbucks today...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:Luther Blissett was sneaking out of Starbucks today...
I didn’t see him or who was walking him but I heard the distinctive bark of Monty in Charlton Kings.
SHANDY VOR

Ha. Funny but nope.
Irish past participle for poo?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:

Ha. Funny but nope.
Irish past participle for poo?
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=POIDH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ihearye
Malabus wrote:
That's GDPR and BA for you
Ihearye
Deja Poo - the feeling you have heard all this c!#p before