Size of our Squad

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
So that's now 28 players signed on, and a few of the younger Academy lads are highly rated too, so let's say we have 33 players on the books who could play first team football.

So have we ever had a squad as big as this, even under Mad Dog ?

And say in training and all are fit and we have a full blown 11 v 11 match at Seasons, that means 11 players will be sat on the sidelines twiddling their thumbs :?

Mind you it could be a good game to watch !
Fuller
One other thing. How does this financial fair play thingy work - I hate to think what our wage bill is now.
Robin
Our wage bill was thought to be top half at the time that GJ was sacked and we've since signed six more players, we must be burning through the Mo money with nothing really to show for it.

Got to assume 2-3 players will be going out on loan in the coming weeks as 23-24 players in a squad at league two is the norm.
Artemis
I think you've made the leap from 28 to 33 players without any real justification.
But 28 is still at least five too many.
I expect Baldwin to return to City and four or five others to go out on loan (Bower is already out). Maybe one or two to be released.
Robin
Surely we won't be releasing players now as they cannot move clubs until January otherwise. The one or two you speak of I assume is McAlindon but not sure who the other could be. Also I think (may be wrong) even if we send Baldwin back we still have to pay his wages for the duration so not sure there is any value even if he doesn't get in our 18 most weeks.
Artemis
Alex Addai and / or Debayo. Maybe they'll fall into the loan category.
Robin
Debayo makes sense given he's young and third choice left back realistically but Addai I would hope not.
Shade
Addai has real potential I thought. I'm surprised he's been dropped as he has.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Addai has real potential I thought. I'm surprised he's been dropped as he has.
Yes, looked to have the physical pace and strength required, just lacking the Football League speed of thought so needed one touch or ten seconds too many before shooting or passing. That would come after more time training with pros and playing League matches.
Lord Elpuz
One positive reason for us currently having a sizeable squad, is that the new manager has a bigger pool of resources to assess, before he decides on his system and the number of players needed to operate in that system. It may have been a lot more difficult to find a formula with a much smaller squad and he may see things in fringe players that would not have been brought out under the previous regime. This is an opportunity and a fresh start for everyone in the current squad to show what they can do.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:Our wage bill was thought to be top half at the time that GJ was sacked and we've since signed six more players, we must be burning through the Mo money with nothing really to show for it.

Got to assume 2-3 players will be going out on loan in the coming weeks as 23-24 players in a squad at league two is the norm.
Even if I am way out by a margain. I would sincerely hope that wages we are paying on loans, previous NL players and free agents. Are burning a hole in a million! If so, we are payiny way too much.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lord Elpuz wrote:One positive reason for us currently having a sizeable squad, is that the new manager has a bigger pool of resources to assess, before he decides on his system and the number of players needed to operate in that system. It may have been a lot more difficult to find a formula with a much smaller squad and he may see things in fringe players that would not have been brought out under the previous regime. This is an opportunity and a fresh start for everyone in the current squad to show what they can do.
Quite right. A clean slate and a fresh chance for all the players to show Duff what they can offer. And I believe Duff will give them all a fair chance and not have preconceptions passed on from RM.