Mike Duff, a former Manager and a substitution

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
If I remember correctly, in one of Chris Robinson's last games as our Manager in '96/97 season, he brought a young Mike Duff on as a second half substitute, then about 10 minutes later took poor Mike off again for another sub.

I think it was an FA Trophy match v Dulwich which we lost, a few were having a go at Robinson for his lack of tactical nous ! (Sounds familiar.)

Anyone else remember that ?

For me it was up against that ghost goal v VS Rugby and the Derek Payne incident as one of those surreal moments we used to get at Whaddon Road :?

Anyway welcome back Mike.
Ralph
I think that was CR's last game for us as mgr. Think we lost 2-0 but the memory is fading a little
longmover
I remember the game but don't remember the incident. Dulwich bought quite a few supporters and they were put in the corner of the old in2print (next to the Presbtuy road end), ghastly pink kit as well.
Jon Palmer
The match Michael Duff was put on (for Bob Bloomer) by Chris Robinson and then taken off (replaced by Jason Eaton) was Sudbury Town, 2-0 home league defeat in October 1996. Robinson didn't go until January.
Ihearye
Still thank him (?) for scoring against Yeovil, just as I was begining to wonder should I have packed my PJ's and cornflakes !
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Still thank him (?) for scoring against Yeovil, just as I was begining to wonder should I have packed my PJ's and cornflakes !
That rain.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ihearye wrote:Still thank him (?) for scoring against Yeovil, just as I was begining to wonder should I have packed my PJ's and cornflakes !
That rain.
Still best atmosphere ever at WR. Excellent time driving kids round town after with flags out windows. Just need to remember what the good times feel like with CTFC and how they pop up when you least expect them. Great club!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
That rain.
Still best atmosphere ever at WR. Excellent time driving kids round town after with flags out windows. Just need to remember what the good times feel like with CTFC and how they pop up when you least expect them. Great club!
Yup. Will be tough to beat.

I feel it was such an important achievement it is hard to know what a comparable breakthrough or watershed would be.