This club of OURS

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

little mo
We were told by a JP tweet Duff would be announced yesterday, wrong. We were also told interviews were being held on Wednesday. Has anyone seen any statement from the club or this new chairman regarding appointing a new manager,because I have not. They obviously could not care less about us. Keep the paying customers in the loop you feckin dummies, I know you will when it comes to season ticket renewal time. Beginning to look like no new manager to me.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Who knows whether there were any interviews or if and when anyone is going to be appointed.

This could easily be addressed with a simple statement from the Board.

If JP has this wrong, it will be like Patterson, Hooper, Grimes, Boulding, Rooney etc combined into one and multiplied several times.
Nesty
in the days before social media etc this would not be a problem, but in this "instant" world it is magnified 1 billion times. JP would not have put anything out in the Public domain if he didnt know it to be fact, i blame the club, please no news until there is any
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:in the days before social media etc this would not be a problem, but in this "instant" world it is magnified 1 billion times. JP would not have put anything out in the Public domain if he didnt know it to be fact, i blame the club, please no news until there is any
Even before social media one would expect a statement to be released in the paper /teletext /website.

It takes literally two mins for the club to send a memo to the Press to give an update; even if that update is “we are still reviewing options”.

Communication in business is key, and if l was a business looking to invest in CTFC or commit to a hospitality box this abject lack of comms would put me off.
London Exile
It might be that the club have yet to finalise a compensation/severance deal with Burnley as Duff is their employee.
What’s also not to say that Duff doesn’t want to bring someone with him which might mean moving somebody out? This doesn’t happen overnight.

I think the coverage from JP is excellent and we hear so much from him about the club, players and links however, the media can afford to be speculative whereas a football club cannot until all contracts and details are finalised.
Lord Elpuz
I don’t think it’s fair to turn our frustrations on Jon Palmer. He is just doing his job, trying to keep the fan base informed with items he deems newsworthy and/or trustworthy, some will come off, others for whatever reason won’t happen - the last minute hitches than can scupper a deal - and those are not JPs fault. It’s a question of when News becomes History and fans demand the earliest possible breaking news, they don’t want to be reading about stuff everyone already knows. As a staunch supporter of CTFC, JP only has the club’s and fan base interest at heart. If JP’s news was measured as a ‘win percentage’ for items that became fact, he would be scoring very highly indeed. Who’d be a sports journo? Who’d be a football manager? ;)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
London Exile wrote:It might be that the club have yet to finalise a compensation/severance deal with Burnley as Duff is their employee.
What’s also not to say that Duff doesn’t want to bring someone with him which might mean moving somebody out? This doesn’t happen overnight.

I think the coverage from JP is excellent and we hear so much from him about the club, players and links however, the media can afford to be speculative whereas a football club cannot until all contracts and details are finalised.
The issue isn’t whether the club are announcing Duff or not, it is the fact they are not communicating any updates.

Say your example above is what is currently going on, it takes five mins to issue a statement saying: “As previously speculated in the Press, we can confirm that we did hold interviews during the previous week. We have identified our preferred candidate and are now discussing terms and practicalities. We will keep you updated and hope to announce the new manager soon.”

Official statements like that remove the clamour for speculation, reassures the fans and makes JP’s life easier.

It really is basic communications.
RR88
I think that Jon Palmer does a fantastic job and a lot of time pressure is put on Jon to report something when there is not actually anything to report on. I would rather have reports that are accurate than just pulled out of nowhere so that we have something to speculate on. None of us know for sure but I imagine that it was expected the club would be announcing Duff on Friday but as mentioned above, they can not officially announce anything till all contracts/compensation/salaries are agreed and signed.

As RCS comments above it is the club who are not communicating and are leaving us in the dark.
Robin
little mo wrote:We were told by a JP tweet Duff would be announced yesterday, wrong. We were also told interviews were being held on Wednesday. Has anyone seen any statement from the club or this new chairman regarding appointing a new manager,because I have not. They obviously could not care less about us. Keep the paying customers in the loop you feckin dummies, I know you will when it comes to season ticket renewal time. Beginning to look like no new manager to me.
The job has been offered, the delay is coming from Burnley as I understand it.
Ihearye
pretty much what I thought. It is just that we are not used to appointing employed people :)
Nesty
Robin wrote:
little mo wrote:We were told by a JP tweet Duff would be announced yesterday, wrong. We were also told interviews were being held on Wednesday. Has anyone seen any statement from the club or this new chairman regarding appointing a new manager,because I have not. They obviously could not care less about us. Keep the paying customers in the loop you feckin dummies, I know you will when it comes to season ticket renewal time. Beginning to look like no new manager to me.
The job has been offered, the delay is coming from Burnley as I understand it.
they want their 30k and a packet of pork scratchings back
paperboy
...set to be unveiled this weekend according to...

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sp ... s/?ref=mac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:...set to be unveiled this weekend according to...

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sp ... s/?ref=mac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
More paper talk whilst Board stay silent.
Ihearye
would be good to see him presented before the match to get the crowd up for it.
Or maybe do the 500 club draw LOL
London Exile
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
London Exile wrote:It might be that the club have yet to finalise a compensation/severance deal with Burnley as Duff is their employee.

The issue isn’t whether the club are announcing Duff or not, it is the fact they are not communicating any updates.

Say your example above is what is currently going on, it takes five mins to issue a statement saying: “As previously speculated in the Press, we can confirm that we did hold interviews during the previous week. We have identified our preferred candidate and are now discussing terms and practicalities. We will keep you updated and hope to announce the new manager soon.”

Official statements like that remove the clamour for speculation, reassures the fans and makes JP’s life easier.

It really is basic communications.
Fair point. Perhaps the club should look at investing some if the Eisa money in hiring a chief exec sort of person, someone who can run the club day to day if the directors work commitments are too much. Wasn’t Arthur Hayward our CE when we were first promoted to the League?
Shade
Ihearye wrote:would be good to see him presented before the match to get the crowd up for it.
You want him presented to the away fans at an away ground? I don't think that will happen, somehow.
Lord Elpuz
Nesty wrote:
Brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
little mo
My original post was not having a pop at JP, it was the club. Stoney silence from them as usual. Don't want to know who was interviewed, or who got it until it is signed and sealed. But a statement or two throughout the process to acknowledge our existence would not have gone amiss. Shambles as usual.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote:My original post was not having a pop at JP, it was the club. Stoney silence from them as usual. Don't want to know who was interviewed, or who got it until it is signed and sealed. But a statement or two throughout the process to acknowledge our existence would not have gone amiss. Shambles as usual.
We don’t even know if there have been interviews or that they are looking for anyone else apart from Milton!

Re: comment above about a Chief Exec. That certainly is one option. Although for basic comms as I described above you really only need a graduate or part-timer. It takes about a minute or two to draft a few sentences. Then the delay of getting it signed off by PG/AW (where the CEO may be useful) before releasing it online.
Ihearye
Shade wrote:
Ihearye wrote:would be good to see him presented before the match to get the crowd up for it.
You want him presented to the away fans at an away ground? I don't think that will happen, somehow.
would be top darts
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
Shade wrote:
would be top darts
Grevious bodily tungsten on the terraces if we lose 4-0 again though.
Alf
Lord Elpuz wrote:
Nesty wrote:
I would be very disappointed and surprised if Burnley if they were making financial waves to block Duffo’s move. £30,000 turned out to be a bargain for them.
THECHOIRBOY
All this talk about lacking communications.... Isn't the club without a marketing person as they were advertising it? Or was it filled?

(I recognise others can make statements but it may explain some of the frustration)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:
Lord Elpuz wrote:
Nesty wrote:
I would be very disappointed and surprised if Burnley if they were making financial waves to block Duffo’s move. £30,000 turned out to be a bargain for them.
They know we need a quick appointment and have over £1m in the bank.
Robin
I agree it's shocking that Burnley are trying to rangle compensation given how they ripped us off in the first place but Dyche doesn't want him to leave it's that simple. Hopefully Mickey can speak to the chairman up there and agree this amicably.