Chairman refuses BBC Radio Glos interview

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Horteng
horlickfanclub wrote:The Radio Gloucestershire two were so busy spouting their own views they did not announce the time until play had started so the first few minutes of the game were missed .After half time we had their personal views again. I turn on to listen to commentary ,not the personal views of James Young and Peter Matthews. Really poor BBC Gloucestershire.
I thought they were really good actually. Voicing the same opinions as 99% of the fans and not afraid to voice it
Shade
James Young generally makes good points, but he rambles on and finds himself far too funny.
horlickfanclub
Please give evidence that Mr Young and Mr Matthews speak for 99% of all fans. If you would rather listen to their opinions that is up to you. I prefer to listen to a football match.
Robin
I find both James Young and Mark Halliwell very opinionated, no doubt they are knowledgeable but both can be divisive and certainly don't speak for everyone.
Fuller
At the same time you can say that James Young, Mark Halliwell, Pete Matthews and Ian Randall are all CTFC through and through, better off with those who have the club very close to their hearts ?
Paul Godfrey is more guarded in his thoughts as you would expect in his position.
Even our current Manager did stints on Radio Glos in the past.
Can't please everyone I suppose, but we do generally get good coverage from BBC local radio.
Robin
Mike Duff didn stints on Radio Glos?
Shade
Robin wrote:Mike Duff didn stints on Radio Glos?
He's not been announced as our current manager.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
Robin wrote:Mike Duff didn stints on Radio Glos?
He's not been announced as our current manager.
McCoulskey has done a few commentaries I think too - asl will confirm I am sure.
bigdavejambo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Who said anything about Curle being plan B?????
Keith Curle has been at Chesterfield the last two Saturdays so if he was in for the CTFC job then surely he would have been at WR/Sixfields watching his potential new team.
Shade
bigdavejambo wrote:
Keith Curle has been at Chesterfield the last two Saturdays so if he was in for the CTFC job then surely he would have been at WR/Sixfields watching his potential new team.
Surely MJA isn't under pressure already? :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
bigdavejambo wrote:
KC dog sitting.
bigdavejambo
Shade wrote:
bigdavejambo wrote:
is there any manager that isnt under pressure?

apparently KC lives in the area.
Robin
bigdavejambo wrote:
The decision had already been made by the time we played Northampton and I am led to believe Curle was interviewed for the role.
SHANDY VOR
I've always been surprised at the attitude of some of you to Radio Gloucestershire. Although the rugby takes precedence, and should do in terms of local interest, you've always done very well out of the remaining sports airtime. With FGR now taking some of that particular pie I guess you may feel hard done by. But let me tell you, you have been well looked after over the years by the likes of Ian Randall, Mark Halliwell etc Robins fans who I have always felt have let their allegiance dominate decisions over air time. The publicly funded station has barely given lip service to the other clubs in the County, even a few minutes preview and match reports, even when City fans have offered to do it for them. Other BBC county stations manage to fit in their league and 'non league' clubs on a Saturday.

I do not raise this as a gripe about RG, that door was politely slammed some years ago and I haven't tuned in to them since, but simply to add some perspective to your groans.

I also don't hold any grudge against Mark Halliwell, he always seems like a nice bloke when I've met him, but very sensitive when I have tried to discuss the above point. So it comes as no surprise he doesn't post on here any more, especially with some of the rather personal remarks by some included above and in other posts from time to time.
Shade
bigdavejambo wrote:
Shade wrote: Surely MJA isn't under pressure already? :lol:
is there any manager that isnt under pressure?

apparently KC lives in the area.
In terms of losing his job, as I obviously meant, yes. There are lots.
Shade
One of the things that actually annoys me most about Radio Glos is how unbelievably biased Bob Hunt is towards FGR during commentary, constantly saying "we", calling the manager "mate", and so on, but how negative the Cheltenham commentators are towards the team. They're much more professional, but they try to be so unbiased and neutral sometimes that they go too far the other way.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hunt does great commentary for Gloucestershire County Cricket Club, whether on RGlos, Bristol or a different regional station. One of the voices of summer in our household!