Russell Milton

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

cheltersfan
I’m a long time Cheltenham fan now living away from the town. Whilst I read the forum avidly I have refrained from contributing until now. The issues surrounding the managerial position have now driven me to register and say my piece.

There has been a lot of dismissive comments on here about Russell Milton not being suited to be a manager with a certain amount of disregard for the facts. Whilst I accept people have a right to their opinions, they should also in the case of someone so dedicated to the club, give said opinions with a very strong nod of respect to his efforts. Some have, some haven’t – everyone who cares about Cheltenham Town should.

We currently have a caretaker manager who lives and breathes football, has worked for 3 years under one of the top lower league managers in the game and is Cheltenham Town through and through.

Russell agreed to be caretaker manager pre-relegation when the club was in dire straights and actually did ok given the demoralised bunch of players, who were simply looking for a way out. I believe he was an improvement on Buckle and someone actually said that with that performance he might arguably have avoided relegation if left in place.

He then took over again when Gary had his horrendous heart problems and again did ok if not spectacularly, but we should remember, the team wasn’t exactly flying under Gary at that time and Russell did see us through to stave off another relegation. Yes Gary was still involved from his sick bed but Russell ran with it and it could be argued that it was his relationship with the players that pulled them through a dark time for everyone, with Gary so unwell and the team under pressure.

Now the board has decided to dismiss Gary Johnson and once again, Russell steps up. As it is he currently has a win percentage in the league of 66% from 3 league games since he took over. Two wins and one loss - the two wins were notably courageous efforts away from home. Yes there was the Forest Green result - more tactical error than lack of player effort. One poor tactical game against two where Russell has rightly been praised both for his tactical bravery against Cambridge and his ability to change it in the 2nd half and keep the players positive enough to get a result to be proud of away from home, albeit against a poor Northampton team.

Interviews with players like Kevin Dawson show that the players are well behind Russell, have complete respect for him and despite that and all of the above, the board are apparently about to appoint an individual with no management experience at this level, no relationship with the players and 2 years of coaching behind him against Russell’s many. He is also quite likely to cost the club a sizeable sum to bring aboard at the very least in wages. People on twitter have written how Michael Duff knows the club inside out. Were that a primary quality for the next permanent manager, I would suggest Russell who has worked in the academy and with the first team for the past 10 years is by far the more qualified.

To those of you on here who seem to know Russell well enough to state he isn’t a Manager, just a very nice guy. Successful Manager’s come from all types of personality from the boot throwing Sir Alex to the hugging Jurgen Klopp. What all successful Managers do have is the respect and backing of their players. Russell has recruited far better than Gary Johnson in his two weeks in charge than Gary did in 3 years. The squad contains senior players who would seem to be firmly backing him. They bring with them clear ability and above all, more experience (including playing for a number of different managers) than we have seen for some time.

I’m concerned that the board believes that the pitch is greener in a ground they have never visited. Michael Duff who is a rightfully respected ex Cheltenham and highly successful player, is completely untested managerially at this level. The danger is that he gets a far poorer win percentage than Russell has achieved in his short period this time round. Surely the decision would then look premature and frankly ridiculous, leaving the board with what may then look like a missed opportunity to give Russell a proper chance. From his performance thus far (6 points from 3 league games against 1 point from 4 from Gary), it is the least he deserves.

Should Michael Duff be appointed, I wish him every luck in taking Cheltenham to new heights (which I keenly hope he will) but with respect to the board, at this early point in a season I would suggest not staying with Russell Milton for a while may be an opportunity missed to better balance risk/reward and possibly cost.

Should anyone wish to come back at me for this post or any of the opinions given here, feel free. But please, do it with respect for an individual who cares about our club, has handled himself impeccably during three very difficult periods in charge. Is he a very nice individual? Undoubtedly. Does that preclude him from being a good manager? I for one would say that at the very least he has earned the right to answer that question by doing the job in his own right rather than as a stop gap rescuer.
BenhallRobin
Russell Milton comes across as someone who loves and cares for the club, he ultimately wants the best for the football club and he wants the job as manager. I hope we keep him on in a capacity which suits all parties.

I would fully expect him to get the opportunity to full-fill his managerial hopes at CTFC in the forthcoming years.
Ihearye
Would sincerely hope, you will never find a CTFC supporter who has anything but the utmost regard and affection for RM. Lord knows he has done enough over the years to have earned it.

Anyone's view on who would make the best managerial candidate at this moment in time, should never detract from the above.
Nesty
great post cheltersfan
Alf
Considering the turmoil that Russell has had to work in since Gary went, I think he has done a remarkable job. As I have said before, I doubt that he had any input into team selection for our dismal pre season friendly showings, so he was more or less starting from scratch with a bunch of new players. He is gradually turning things round and whatever happens in the next few weeks we should be grateful for his input and dedication to our football club.
cheltersfan
Nesty wrote:great post cheltersfan
Many thanks.
horlickfanclub
I will second that.
THECHOIRBOY
Thirded. You have set a high benchmark for the quality of future posts!
pas
I will forth that and say thank you to Cheltersfan for a well written, succinctly expressed post.
Lord Elpuz
I’m very pleased to see the very positive sentiments about Russ Milton; to be applauded and welcomed. Very well put Cheltersfan.

Whatever the future holds for Russ Milton, I sincere hope it involves him staying with Cheltenham Town Football Club. He epitomises the spirit that keeps this Club going whatever is thrown at it and it is usually to Russ that the Club turns to in its moments of crisis. He never lets us down.

I also think it worth pointing out that galvanising the team to come back from that defeat in the ChekaTrade v FGR, shows Russ’ capability as a player motivator and man manager.

His interview at the end of the Northampton game was absolutely spot-on too. A very calm and measured performance in front of the camera. We should not underestimate or undervalue Russ because people like him are next to impossible to find.
Cheltenhamshire10
Just shows how fickle and short sighted football fans are.
One second everyone's saying Russ is not up to it, now we have a group saying he's one of the best things at the club.

I fall in that exact boat, the way Miltons signed players, and the results he's ground out in the league has improved my estimation of him. Deep down I think Duff will do a better job as manager, but there probably never be a way of knowing the answer unless Milton gets the job when Duff leaves.
Shade
All I'll say is I think if Milton had the job full time and could mould an entire squad of his own players over a couple of seasons, he'd do a decent job. The only times we've seen him, he's pretty much had to play with the cards dealt to him, except for the very end of this last loan/free transfer window, where he's brought in players that have very obviously improved the squad, in the likes of Jones, Barnett.
vickeryc
It's true that Russ can't fairly be judged on his managerial qualities because he's only done it in a caretaker capacity. To be honest, I was surprised that he did so well over the last few games (excluding the FGR debacle of course) and it is evident that the players and fans all, rightly, have enormous respect for him.
MittonRobin
Top Post !

Look I love the guy too bits, club Great and all that. However, what I watched last Tuesday up the hill was the worst I have seen Cheltenham play in my life time ( in my opinion ). If they play like that in a Local derby god knows what they would be capable of producing in a trip to Morecambe on a cold Tuesday Night or something. I personally think he is a good number 2 and that's where it should stop.
Alf
Personally I’d rather have the points from two wins and a draw in the league than a chest puffing win in a tin pot cup game against FGR. I’ll be happy if we get it right this season when we play them in the league.
Nesty
Cheltenhamshire10 wrote:Just shows how fickle and short sighted football fans are.
One second everyone's saying Russ is not up to it, now we have a group saying he's one of the best things at the club.

I fall in that exact boat, the way Miltons signed players, and the results he's ground out in the league has improved my estimation of him. Deep down I think Duff will do a better job as manager, but there probably never be a way of knowing the answer unless Milton gets the job when Duff leaves.
nail hit on the head, and I fall in the same boat.
steveinblack
Wouldn't be surprised if Rusty's latest stint at temp manager hasn't moved him up in potentially NL jobs
However, I'd imagine Duff would be wise to keep onto him.
Also Bookie has done a great job as goalie coach over the years (surprised he's never been poached by a bigger club).
cheltersfan
In starting this thread I said that the board may very well have made a premature and ridiculous decision if Michael Duff gets a poorer record than the man they deemed not good enough to be the manager. Well, here we are 8 games in and he has no wins and a 3rd of the points that Russell Milton managed in 3 league games. In fact, had they allowed Russell to continue and were we to project even a 1 point per game average for Russell (much less than he was achieving), our side would be 6 points better off and (loosely) sitting in 19th place with a game in hand.

Forgive me for resurrecting this thread but I think it is fair to raise the point again. This is not “I told you so”, simply that I remain exasperated that the board overlooked a known quantity who was doing ok, for a complete managerial unknown justified by a huge dose of nostalgia and belief that working for a top manager turns you into one. I keep hearing that Michael is the unwitting and poor victim of Gary's summer recruitment. The truth is however, that he is someone who applied for and accepted a job knowing the full facts (which to be fair, is probably exactly what he would say). More importantly, he took over from Russell who was sitting with 6 points from league 3 games and appeared to be moving in the right direction despite the FGR debacle which could have happened to any Manager.

To his immense credit having been snubbed yet again, Russell has stood by the new manager’s side giving him the benefit of his experience. How must it feel though to be watching the side he had moving forward, now completely disorganised and for me, from today’s display which I managed to attend, seeing his former charges apparently disillusioned on the pitch. I would like to believe that Russell is being listened to by his much less experienced Manager but the complete change in fortunes since he returned to his assistant role could suggest otherwise.

This is simply not working, the players have gone from enjoying their football to a rabbit in the headlights approach whenever they get the ball. The passing yesterday was tentative, often ill-conceived and with apparently no “picture” in the players minds before they received the ball. Confidence is shot, everything is reactive. Those that are able, please see Russell's last game in charge at Northampton again; the difference is stark but the majority of the same players played yesterday.

So, where do we go from here? I am the last to be calling for a Manager’s head and were it just results at issue, I would say leave it be and give Michael more time. But that’s not the case, they look a completely different set of players, the spirit is dying if not gone – something is wrong. This has been proven to be not just about the players, because they did ok under Russell Milton who also had them performing better than Gary managed. What I dont understand is why nobody else is raising this issue. I suspect it is out of respect for Michael and a push to be positive which is of course fair enough. But we are talking 8 games and no wins following 2 wins from three just before he took over - somebody has to point out the obvious.

Who would we look for? An experienced Manager? Difficult to find a proven one available who has roots with the club and could slot in without another major upheaval. Which of course leaves the often maligned (on here anyway) Russell Milton who to repeat, lives and breathes this club and who (from interviews during his reign) already has the respect and trust of this group of players. Surely it can be no worse than what we have now and he may just “continue” to surprise the doubters.

The question is, would he be interested after the way he was passed over yet again for the role in favour of an inexperienced Michael Duff? I fear the opportunity may have gone but with the right approach to him, his loyalty to the club may win the day.

As before, these are my opinions and I welcome comment. However, please do so without attacking Michael Duff or Russell Milton, both of whom are Cheltenham legends and good people simply trying to do the best they can.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Interesting post and poignant timing after yesterday’s booing off the pitch, where only Boyle applauded the Colin Farmer after the final whistle.

I suggested in another post that Russell should be given more of a role in attacking training given his results.

Yesterday I was concerned when during the match when a lot of the time Duff was sat at one end of the dugout and Russ stood at the other, but then they did start conferring and standing together sometimes so assume all is ok between them.

Personally, based on their actions so far I think the Board are more likely to let Russ and Bookie go and let Duff choose others to come in, as part of the rebuild/new broom approach, than they are to relieve Duff of his duties.
Lord Elpuz
cheltersfan wrote: ...
So, where do we go from here? I am the last to be calling for a Manager’s head and were it just results at issue, I would say leave it be and give Michael more time. But that’s not the case, they look a completely different set of players, the spirit is dying if not gone – something is wrong. This has been proven to be not just about the players, because they did ok under Russell Milton who also had them performing better than Gary managed. What I dont understand is why nobody else is raising this issue. I suspect it is out of respect for Michael and a push to be positive which is of course fair enough. But we are talking 8 games and no wins following 2 wins from three just before he took over - somebody has to point out the obvious ...
An extremely wise man once told me (which I have previously said on this Forum) “When there are problems on the pitch, you’ll find the reason in The Board Room”.
CTFC03
Very good post cheltersfan and completely see all of your points but I feel Milton isn't up to it long term but has been steady when called upon, he's clearly a good AM but I don't think he'd be suited as a manager, I think if he'd have got the job and the club brought in an experienced assistant that might have worked but Duff's here now and hopefully things will start to improve.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFC03 wrote:Very good post cheltersfan and completely see all of your points but I feel Milton isn't up to it long term but has been steady when called upon, he's clearly a good AM but I don't think he'd be suited as a manager, I think if he'd have got the job and the club brought in an experienced assistant that might have worked but Duff's here now and hopefully things will start to improve.
Why don’t you think he would be suited or up to it?
drgm
Loyalty works both ways. Managers come and go but the club have continued to offer Russ
secure employment. In return he has stepped in when asked.

Cheltenham are not standing in Russell's way. If Russel Milton had the drive and ambition
to make it as a manger then he would have left by now. I'm not sure that loyalty alone is
enough justification simply to inherit the manager's job.

Back to Duff. He's not getting any more out of this bunch of players than Gary did and we sacked
him. The atmosphere at the ground on Saturday was really flat. At the moment I'm hoping Mike Duff
can turn it around. He has to pretty soon in my opinion. We can't go on like this until January.
We will be cut adrift by then.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
drgm wrote:Loyalty works both ways. Managers come and go but the club have continued to offer Russ
secure employment. In return he has stepped in when asked.

Cheltenham are not standing in Russell's way. If Russel Milton had the drive and ambition
to make it as a manger then he would have left by now. I'm not sure that loyalty alone is
enough justification simply to inherit the manager's job.

Back to Duff. He's not getting any more out of this bunch of players than Gary did and we sacked
him. The atmosphere at the ground on Saturday was really flat. At the moment I'm hoping Mike Duff
can turn it around. He has to pretty soon in my opinion. We can't go on like this until January.
We will be cut adrift by then.
We are in the domain of rocks and hard places.

Back Duff and we might be too far gone come January.

Sack Duff and we are definitely in ‘crisis club’ territory. Three managers, plus interims, in half a season is turmoil and usually ends up in relegation.

Given that there is every chance Duff will turn it around, I feel we have to 100% back Duff and support him the best we can. The odds are better than if we deliberately create more turmoil (plus the costs of firing and hiring).

Disastrous and distasteful actions have happened, but it is what it is and we are where we are. It is a moment where the fans can either help with the sinking, or do what we can to help the players and manager swim.
Johnsons Red Army
Agree with RCS. Duff needs to be given time.

We've already had one premature manager sacking this season (in my opinion), we certainly don't need another.

Hopefully the fans can be a little less vocal and a bit more patient this time around, because another sacking is certainly not what we need right now.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Interesting post and poignant timing after yesterday’s booing off the pitch, where only Boyle applauded the Colin Farmer after the final whistle.

I suggested in another post that Russell should be given more of a role in attacking training given his results.

Yesterday I was concerned when during the match when a lot of the time Duff was sat at one end of the dugout and Russ stood at the other, but then they did start conferring and standing together sometimes so assume all is ok between them.

Personally, based on their actions so far I think the Board are more likely to let Russ and Bookie go and let Duff choose others to come in, as part of the rebuild/new broom approach, than they are to relieve Duff of his duties.
Wasn't at the match on Saturday, the racing seem a slightly more enjoyable option.

Hard to believe that there was booing from the CF. There just seems to be an air of resignation in the CF, tbh has been that way for a couple of years. Can't understand what people hope to achieve by that action. Not as if we can bring in any new players. for quite a few more games.
Do we know what our best 11 is yet? We should be at that stage by now? Do we know our best formation yet ? We should be at that stage by now surely. Even if we haven't got the players for the formation MD wants to play, just play a formation that the players we have CAN play. (oh and narrow the pitch - we have no creative midfielder picking out a killer pass into space, so don't need the space)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Interesting post and poignant timing after yesterday’s booing off the pitch, where only Boyle applauded the Colin Farmer after the final whistle.

Wasn't at the match on Saturday, the racing seem a slightly more enjoyable option.

Hard to believe that there was booing from the CF. There just seems to be an air of resignation in the CF, tbh has been that way for a couple of years. Can't understand what people hope to achieve by that action. Not as if we can bring in any new players. for quite a few more games.
Do we know what our best 11 is yet? We should be at that stage by now? Do we know our best formation yet ? We should be at that stage by now surely. Even if we haven't got the players for the formation MD wants to play, just play a formation that the players we have CAN play. (oh and narrow the pitch - we have no creative midfielder picking out a killer pass into space, so don't need the space)
No booing from CF which I heard. Only about two other people stood to applaud Boyle when he came over.
Shade
I think only 4 or 5 times in the last 15 years have I not clapped the players, even in poor defeats, because they try even if they're not good enough. And if they've tried for our club then I'll applaud. However, I really don't like it when the players just walk off at the end and it's been happening more lately. And now I read Boyle was the only one that applauded the fans at the end of what sounds like a very poor performance.

I've only booed the players once. 0-3 v Barnsley. Worst game ever. No effort to do anything other than hoof it down the other end. But it doesn't do anybody any good, certainly not the players.
Si Robin
I didn't applaud on Saturday, I was annoyed at the basic errors that were made, especially for both goals. The players putting effort in should be a given, and you can't blame them if they are not good enough, but you can expect them to be better than an under 12s team. My son and his teammates would have been lambasted for the errors that led to the two goals on Saturday.

As for the point of the thread, whilst Russ did do well getting those two wins, it has to be put in perspective at who those wins were against. They were against a Northampton team who never won a game after our match until sacking their manager, and a Cambridge team who, until their last two results were below us in the table. It's also easy to forget that Russ is still number 2. Are we to believe that Duff isn't listening to Russ, or not taking any of his points on board at all? I'm not buying that.

I don't think we can properly judge Michael Duff until he's had at least a transfer window. He's been left with a bloated squad and has to try and get a team to gel out of it. One can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and that's exactly where Duff has found himself.

I'm one of the many who felt Johnson should have gone at the end of last season, and I also agree that the manner of his sacking was a joke and extremely unprofessional. But we can bang on and on about where it's gone wrong and who's fault it is, it's not going to change anything going forward. What we have to do is back the club now and give the team and backroom staff the support they need to get us through this shite situation we find ourselves in. Talk of ending support isn't going to move the club forward, sitting on our hands also isn't going to help. There was hardly any atmosphere on Saturday before Stevenage's goals, and this was the first cold day of the season. I dread to think what it's going to be like come mid-winter. Now is the time the club really needs the fanbase to come together and support it.