FGR again

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

little mo
I was wondering if they got paid up front for Doidge. Because according to the BBC football page, Bolton are looking very likely to enter administration today.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Haha if Bolton are paying in installments and get away with hardly paying FGR a penny that will be a nice taste of his own medicine for Vince.

Though it’s a loan with a view to buy of course so Doidge could return to TNL in January?
Robin
I had understood this loan with a view to buy is more a loan with a commitment to buy as in the fee is paid up front before the loan begins.
Lord Elpuz
FGR seem to attract some bad luck don’t they? A few weeks ago it was the new kit debacle, which is still not resolved in terms of delivery of the kit from the new supplier.

Ownership of Doidge could be key in this possible administration situation. Do Bolton own him because he is a registered player with them? Do FGR still own him as they haven’t been paid for him? Do FGR join the queue of creditors that have allegedly pushed Bolton into administration (in which case FGR may not receive anything)? It may not be as straightforward as just allowing Doidge to return to FGR. We don’t know how much of the Doidge transfer money may have been intended for some of FGRs own end of year accounts rebalancing.

This could turn out to be a right old mess. I did think at the time that it seemed to be a rushed job to loan out Doidge with a view to not getting the cash in until 5 or 6 months later. Why would anyone do that? Lots of possibilities we can only guess at - but it may all have gone horribly wrong.
Malabus
Lord Elpuz wrote:FGR seem to attract some bad luck don’t they? A few weeks ago it was the new kit debacle, which is still not resolved in terms of delivery of the kit from the new supplier.

Ownership of Doidge could be key in this possible administration situation. Do Bolton own him because he is a registered player with them? Do FGR still own him as they haven’t been paid for him? Do FGR join the queue of creditors that have allegedly pushed Bolton into administration (in which case FGR may not receive anything)? It may not be as straightforward as just allowing Doidge to return to FGR. We don’t know how much of the Doidge transfer money may have been intended for some of FGRs own end of year accounts rebalancing.

This could turn out to be a right old mess. I did think at the time that it seemed to be a rushed job to loan out Doidge with a view to not getting the cash in until 5 or 6 months later. Why would anyone do that? Lots of possibilities we can only guess at - but it may all have gone horribly wrong.
Very good points there.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Maybe FGR could buy Bolton’s kit off them, help them out a bit.
Lord Elpuz
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Maybe FGR could buy Bolton’s kit off them, help them out a bit.
Now that’s not a bad suggestion. In keeping with FGRs creative idea for their new shirt design, they could grey out the Bolton crest and the Bolton sponsors name to create the space for future aspirations. Everyone’s happy.
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Maybe FGR could buy Bolton’s kit off them, help them out a bit.
Recycling. Just a shame Bolton don't play in black and white stripes...
ctfc-fan
Now this would make my day if FGR get stuffed over.
SHANDY VOR
Lord Elpuz wrote:FGR seem to attract some bad luck don’t they? A few weeks ago it was the new kit debacle, which is still not resolved in terms of delivery of the kit from the new supplier.

All sounds very Doidgy to me!

Sorry
Lord Elpuz
I’ll wager it’s like a renewable source wind farm in the FGR Board Room this evening. I expect they’re all bricking it.
Malabus
Lord Elpuz wrote:
Now that’s not a bad suggestion. In keeping with FGRs creative idea for their new shirt design, they could grey out the Bolton crest and the Bolton sponsors name to create the space for future aspirations. Everyone’s happy.
Don’t forget the stars.
Shade
It's all getting a little bit pathetic now, isn't it?
Malabus
Bolton paid the debt.
Non essere curioso
ctfc-fan wrote:Now this would make my day if FGR get stuffed over.
Careful there, as the man who liked the shaver so much, he bought the company, D/V may buy CTFC. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Robin
He tried to buy CTFC before he got into FGR only we rejected him.
Sprout Picker
Robin wrote:He tried to buy CTFC before he got into FGR only we rejected him.
Wonder what coloured shirts we'd have now if he'd have been successful. :lol:
Non essere curioso
Your loss, our gain I guess. ;)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Non essere curioso wrote:
We kept our kit. Kept our identity. Aren’t going to be moved to a motorway junction and won’t be left bankrupt when the owner we are dependent on walks away.

Enjoy it.
The Old TomCat
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Non essere curioso wrote:
We kept our kit. Kept our identity. Aren’t going to be moved to a motorway junction and won’t be left bankrupt when the owner we are dependent on walks away.

Enjoy it.

Oh dear RCS, you and your continual attempts at one-upmanship.
Sadly for you most of what you say can be trumped [small t]

1. Many clubs change their shirt colours throughout their history. Many famous examples are Leeds at start of Don Revie era who changed to all white or Coventry at start of Jimmy Hill era who changed to sky blue.
Indeed Cheltenham Town FC now play in red & white stripes and not their traditional ruby.
2. Clubs from Arsenal to Yeovil have moved their home ground over the years. Indeed Cheltenham Town FC have had three different homes: Agg-Gardner's Recreation Ground, Whaddon Lane and Carter's Field. I have been told by a CTFC season ticket holder that the present Whaddon Road home is site of a former council tip.
3. Please supply any official confirmation that FGR will go bankrupt on move to Eastington site because it ain’t true.
4. Dale Vince, FGR chairman has no intention of walking away from club. Whatever people say about him many have a sneaking admiration for DV, a former New Age traveller with a set of strong values and beliefs which he's stuck to from day one. Made a very successful business out of his passion and used the money to fund FGR. Even stuck to his principles when he could have easily caved in to the burger brigade. Confirmation of his wholehearted commitment to FGR are the three stars inked on back of his neck signifying his passion for club with one star for progress and two for undoubted ambition.
5. Be sure FGR will retain their identity. It has evolved for the better in the past few years with over twice as many regular supporters. When the club moves it will remain in same district council area with same name and with overwhelmingly same set of supporters as at TNL.

The post on this thread Robin said that DV once tried to buy CTFC. I’ve never heard that said before and phoned the office for confirmation or not. Seems nobody at TNL knows anything of the sort.

Do you know RCS it beggars belief that you are so obsessed with FGR because Cheltenham have so much history to offer:
Two Conference League titles
FA Trophy winners
Southern League Champions
Southern League Cup winners
Two League Two playoff winners
Gloucestershire Senior Cup – Winners on 34 occasions
Two former International managers

You really should dwell more on Cheltenham because CTFC and FGR are now equals.
Most of us will be long gone before FGR can match the number of years Cheltenham have enjoyed in Football League.
And should FGR get promoted it would be another five years before they could equal the number of years in the third tier to same as Cheltenham.
Just enjoy Cheltenham Town FC and leave FGR alone.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Given the incoherent and bizarre rant there OTC I think big T is more appropriate.
Lord Elpuz
There you go again OTC, it’s you who can’t leave CTFC alone. RCS should be free to say what he likes without you constantly hounding down our freedom of speech on our own Forum. There’s plenty of tripe served up about Cheltenham on the FGR Forum - but I don’t need to remind you of that though, do I OTC? Yet we have no right to express our views on your Forum.

It’s so tiresome now listening to your obsessive unofficial defence of one of the most despised gimmick ridden and publicity desperate Chairman in the Football League, and it’s about time you were kicked off this Forum, because you come on here just to wind everyone up. It’s beyond a joke, and you are beyond a joke as we all know from the Other Footy section of our Forum. Enough is enough, please go, and leave us alone.
Shade
The Old TomCat wrote: The post on this thread Robin said that DV once tried to buy CTFC. I’ve never heard that said before and phoned the office for confirmation or not. Seems nobody at TNL knows anything of the sort.
:lol: Jesus H. Christ :lol:
Unbelievable.
Ralph
The Old TomCat wrote:

5. Be sure FGR will retain their identity. It has evolved for the better in the past few years with over twice as many regular supporters. When the club moves it will remain in same district council area with same name and with overwhelmingly same set of supporters as at TNL.

The post on this thread Robin said that DV once tried to buy CTFC. I’ve never heard that said before and phoned the office for confirmation or not. Seems nobody at TNL knows anything of the sort.
5, FGR lost their identity when they got rid of the black and white stripes and then all the talk about moving from the area (because you are moving out of the area if the move ever happens. All this green devils BS and everything else. Your identity changed overnight.

Makes me laugh that when you decide to check a statement, you make out you have all the top people on speed dial. Vince did try and buy us. That is a fact. PB said no and i'm always grateful for PB doing that as i would never want my club to turn into what yours has and will become still more
Ihearye
Shade wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote: The post on this thread Robin said that DV once tried to buy CTFC. I’ve never heard that said before and phoned the office for confirmation or not. Seems nobody at TNL knows anything of the sort.
:lol: Jesus H. Christ :lol:
Unbelievable.
Indeed, does the man not have anything to fill his day with? While most of us are busy being employed, keeping other people employed, making sure family are in a good place, getting on with life. This vvanker has enough time in his day to actually pick up the phone and call somebody who probably is just doing the same as most of us - getting through their day. And asks them what they know about DV looking to buy CTFC. I can just imagine what they were silently mouthing to the person beside them, as they took the call.
Red Duke
At one time, I respected OTC for his comments, but not anymore. I have grown tiresome of his approach of I'm right, you're wrong" to everything with FGR vs CTFC.

His achilles heel to all his arguments is that we accept his postings on here but none of us have the right of reply on the FGR message board.

He would regain my respect if he started a campaign to rectify this situation and subsequently achieved it.
asl
Good grief, OTC - that's common knowledge. Paul Baker met with him and turned him down because he didn't feel it was a good deal for CTFC. At the time, that was widely reported. I feel you're probably quite well known to the guys in the FGR office...?
Ihearye
asl wrote:Good grief, OTC - that's common knowledge. Paul Baker met with him and turned him down because he didn't feel it was a good deal for CTFC. At the time, that was widely reported. I feel you're probably quite well known to the guys in the FGR office...?
Sorry, I would need that statement corroborated by the lady who answers the office phone
The Old TomCat
asl wrote:Good grief, OTC - that's common knowledge. Paul Baker met with him and turned him down because he didn't feel it was a good deal for CTFC. At the time, that was widely reported. I feel you're probably quite well known to the guys in the FGR office...?
Genuine I didn't know that.
I was probably living in Worcestershire at time and missed it.
SHANDY VOR
I have to be honest, as someone not in the wolf pack, or feeling directly threatened by FGR's success, my objective view is that OTCs post is quite restrained and well argued. He makes a lot of good points.

He did miss probably the one event that accelerated FGRs modern success - the 1982 FA Vase win (?) which seemed to fire the ambition from being a local side for local players to one that wanted to get up the pyramid (and afterwards applied for Southern League membership), although in those days it was more of a rhomboid.

I reckon OTC should carry on here, its not his fault that the FGR forum doesn't allow you to post, and while he pushes his luck a bit he is just passionate about his club, is entertaining judging by the amount of responses he gets, and above all he acts an abuse buffer for your truly!

Icce et laudanum perennae est!

There, I've said it!
Ihearye
The Old TomCat wrote:
Was the woman in the office living next door?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:
That strange black spot of modern communications. We had fans in America and Australia who saw the news - but there must be a barrier on the M5 15 mins north of Cheltenham stopping news spreading there.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
And in the Stroud News and Journal.

An example from 2017, this letter in response to OTC, aka Tom Newman, sums it up perfectly.

The opening paragraph will resonate with many on this forum!

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/n ... _s_on_Tom/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben3
OTC and FGR are obsessed with us. Sad really...

http://forum.fgrfc.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asl
That's actually very amusing in the context of The Nest, RCS... :lol: