Chairman refuses BBC Radio Glos interview

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Horteng
What a tosser
Shade
He's not exactly doing a good job in getting the fans onside, is he.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Good to hear the BBC RGlos guys equally disappointed at the lack of comms from the club.
Horteng
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Good to hear the BBC RGlos guys equally disappointed at the lack of comms from the club.
Yep. It’s not just us
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Good to hear the BBC RGlos guys equally disappointed at the lack of comms from the club.
Yep. It’s not just us
And they made a very valid points that the frustration is because they want the Club to be better and more successful.

And RGlos now say they have a statement from the club saying “negotiations are ongoing with our preferred candidate”.

Finally!
I-Love-CTFC
I think his whole handling of the situation has been very amateur to be honest. I know he's new to the role but he's not exactly doing himself any favours.
Shade
Almost feels as if he's doing it on the side, almost as a favour and an afterthought.
Horteng
Too busy with his highly profitable rail company
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Almost feels as if he's doing it on the side, almost as a favour and an afterthought.
Pete Matthews and James Young said it was one of the Directors at the game who told them they were negotiating with their preferred candidate, rather than it being an official statement.
theidlerich
Perhaps not relevant to this thread, but recall similar elsewhere. CTFC would benefit if they published a list of their directors with a CV [experience/qualifications/interests etc - (apart from CTFC!)], plus the skills they believe they bring to the club. The the fan base could perhaps identify more with the largely anonymous individuals.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:Perhaps not relevant to this thread, but recall similar elsewhere. CTFC would benefit if they published a list of their directors with a CV [experience/qualifications/interests etc - (apart from CTFC!)], plus the skills they believe they bring to the club. The the fan base could perhaps identify more with the largely anonymous individuals.
Directors listed here: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... 7/officers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6 current directors, 3 of whom have positions elsewhere (LCI Rail, Bence, Thomson & Bancks).

(Note: different from shareholders)
theidlerich
...if I'm honest I am more interested in what they believe they bring to CTFC as the last three years have been pretty dire with little information emanating from the 'Boardroom'; info that has emerged has come from PB or "an officer from the club".
cagliostro
As a major shareholder and desperately worried about my and OUR club I mailed the club last week asking that the new chairman contact me to explain to me as a worried supporter what was going on....not a f#!$ reply or acknowledgement from anyone to say they had received my mail or a thank you to say we or the chairman will be in touch.
Complete PR disaster by the club and our so called chairman....it is apparent NOW they don't give a s#!t about US.
Cag
cagliostro
no comment
Last edited by cagliostro on 08 Sep 2018, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
cagliostro wrote:As a major shareholder and desperately worried about my and OUR club I mailed the club last week asking that the new chairman contact me to explain to me as a worried supporter what was going on....not a f#!$ reply or acknowledgement from anyone to say they had received my mail or a thank you to say we or the chairman will be in touch.
Complete PR disaster by the club and our so called chairman....it is apparent NOW they don't give a s#!t about US.
Cag
Maybe PG is away; I would have thought he would reply?
cagliostro
.....I would have mailed PG directly....the original mail - and another tonight - was sent to the info address and if the club are so stupid not to have someone picking up the mails that just shows what a bunch of amateurs they are.
This is all very worrying from a corporate perspective.
If Duffo has the job, tell us....instead of second hand postings by JP et al. - we need to know as supporters that we have someone steering the ship and as far as I can see we now have a complete f#!$ in charge who has made his own PR disaster
Cag
London Exile
In my opinion the football club has never grasped professionalism off the field since we first won promotion in ‘99.
Time and time again simple mistakes are made. It’s not just under the current regime, we did it under Paul Baker too. When I think of the club off field I always think of the saying ‘you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink!’
There is something fundamentally wrong at the club as was demonstrated by both ticketing fiascos (ST admin fee and checkatrade prices)
Malabus
London Exile wrote:In my opinion the football club has never grasped professionalism off the field since we first won promotion in ‘99.
Time and time again simple mistakes are made. It’s not just under the current regime, we did it under Paul Baker too. When I think of the club off field I always think of the saying ‘you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink!’
There is something fundamentally wrong at the club as was demonstrated by both ticketing fiascos (ST admin fee and checkatrade prices)
Spot on.
vickeryc
Absolutely agree that the club has handled its PR incredibly badly on this and fans are rightly miffed for not being kept informed. Criticism is justified. While it's obviously not necessary to issue daily press releases, the club surely has a moral duty to keep ticket-paying fans informed on something as important as this, even if it is to simply state that discussions are ongoing. It doesn't take a genius to work out when a brief statement could beneficially be published to stifle speculation and quell any emerging criticism of poor communication between the club and its supporters.
SHANDY VOR
Don't you have a 'fan's director' on the board?

Why not put together a list of your concerns, nominate 2 or 3 nest reps to meet with said director so you can explain what you mean, and then request that the item is on the agenda for the next club board meeting and a response given to each point.

I thought this role was a conduit between fans and club, so you need to use it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:Don't you have a 'fan's director' on the board?

Why not put together a list of your concerns, nominate 2 or 3 nest reps to meet with said director so you can explain what you mean, and then request that the item is on the agenda for the next club board meeting and a response given to each point.

I thought this role was a conduit between fans and club, so you need to use it.
Our Fan Elected Director M Toms ceased being a Director on 30th April and has not been replaced.

This in itself saw a bit of a come to between Club and Trust, with statements and counter statements in an ‘argument by press release’. Trust wanted to appoint a new man or woman straight away, Club said we had to wait for AGM and those formal procedures.

There has been no recent communication from the Trust (who barely communicate better than the Club) nor the Club on the plan for getting the next FED appointed.
Si Robin
I was under the impression Dave Beesley was acting Trust FED?
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote:I was under the impression Dave Beesley was acting Trust FED?
That is also my understanding.

Can't see the reason why the club should feel the need to say , the news is there is no news? We all know the search is on. Everyone wants it sorted asap. As I said, we are not used to appointing people in current employment, so new ground. Also we have to show some respect to his current employer and not discuss things out in the open.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ah yes I remember. Dave has even posted on here in that capacity.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
That is also my understanding.

Can't see the reason why the club should feel the need to say , the news is there is no news? We all know the search is on. Everyone wants it sorted asap. As I said, we are not used to appointing people in current employment, so new ground. Also we have to show some respect to his current employer and not discuss things out in the open.
The club never even stayed that the search was on though so we all know what the press have speculated and that’s it. Until the update from a Director to R Glos yesterday that negotiations with preferred candidate are ongoing - which is all we needed to know.
slinky_dog
The whole of football is run by idiots with no business acumen. The FA in particular.

I always took comfort from the fact CTFC was better than that. Yes, a bit amateurish at times but at least a board that cared about the club and less about ego and personal gain.

The way this latest fiasco has unfolded is closer to incompetent than amateurish.

And if they cannot manage basic comms, can they manage a robust interview and selection process?

That said, I would be delighted to see Mickey Duff back. But I fear the delay may well mean this is less likely.
Robin
If the Duff appointment falls through now how is Keith Curle going to feel given he was clearly 2nd choice?
horlickfanclub
Grateful for a job ,Robin.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Who said anything about Curle being plan B?????
Ihearye
WOW - same folk soundly slapping 'heedrobin' on the back in the JF thread, for his stop with the moaning and complaining, seem to not be able to apply that round of applause to this thread.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:WOW - same folk soundly slapping 'heedrobin' on the back in the JF thread, for his stop with the moaning and complaining, seem to not be able to apply that round of applause to this thread.
Blatantly Horteng was out of order with personal abuse in the OP.
Horteng
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ihearye wrote:WOW - same folk soundly slapping 'heedrobin' on the back in the JF thread, for his stop with the moaning and complaining, seem to not be able to apply that round of applause to this thread.
Blatantly Horteng was out of order with personal abuse in the OP.
Sorry I just think he’s arrogant and out of touch of reality. Possibly out of his depth? It certainly appears that way.

Imo he is everything Paul Baker wasn’t
kiaora84
I am not making excuses for the chairman/boarding anyway, but did we find a replacement for the media/communications person? They were advertising recently, maybe a reason why there hasn’t been much said?
horlickfanclub
The Radio Gloucestershire two were so busy spouting their own views they did not announce the time until play had started so the first few minutes of the game were missed .After half time we had their personal views again. I turn on to listen to commentary ,not the personal views of James Young and Peter Matthews. Really poor BBC Gloucestershire.
Robin
Duff is at CTFC again today I am told.