Brian Graham

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RichardMoss
Scored 4 for Ross county at the weekend against Raith Rovers. Did we ever really see his potential? Or is Scottish football just a very low standard? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Horteng
He’s history. No point in thinking about it
Nesty
RichardMoss wrote:Scored 4 for Ross county at the weekend against Raith Rovers. Did we ever really see his potential? Or is Scottish football just a very low standard? Thoughts?

NO, YES
RichardMoss
Horteng wrote:He’s history. No point in thinking about it
Is it not still interesting to see how he is getting on?

Shade
We saw he could have been decent at this level when he actually had a run of 4 or 5 games uninjured, which included when he bagged a couple against Wycombe. But players come and players go, it's just us that remain, and loyally so...
vickeryc
RichardMoss wrote:

Of course it is. Horteng's just a curmudgeon - all (s)he needed to do was ignore your post and not be dismissive.
To answer your point, I think Graham did have goals in him, but his injuries meant he rarely strung more than a few games together. Scottish championship football is not a great standard, but to score four goals at any level requires a decent level of ability.
RichardMoss
vickeryc wrote:
RichardMoss wrote:

Of course it is. Horteng's just a curmudgeon - all (s)he needed to do was ignore your post and not be dismissive.
To answer your point, I think Graham did have goals in him, but his injuries meant he rarely strung more than a few games together. Scottish championship football is not a great standard, but to score four goals at any level requires a decent level of ability.
True, it’s a shame that he never reached his top form with us

Ihearye
Nesty wrote:
RichardMoss wrote:Scored 4 for Ross county at the weekend against Raith Rovers. Did we ever really see his potential? Or is Scottish football just a very low standard? Thoughts?

NO, YES
Yet we hailed Mo as a good signing because he was banging goals in for Pubteam Utd???
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
Nesty wrote:

NO, YES
Yet we hailed Mo as a good signing because he was banging goals in for Pubteam Utd???
Indeed. Remains to be seen if Graham continues banging them in. He had not been prolific when we signed him.
Alf
Strikers need games. No good playing them for one or two weeks and then leaving them out because they haven’t scored. It’s all about having the right players around to set up chances and this builds teamwork and confidence. Glad to see him doing well. Ross County may not be the best standard in the world (but neither is England Div2) it’s a decent standard and four goals is an achievement at any pro level.
vickeryc
Wise words, Alf. Agree.
longmover
Another player that we have let slip through the net as Johnson too stubborn to play him or BJ stood up to him, probably bit of both.
paperboy
longmover wrote:Another player that we have let slip through the net as Johnson too stubborn to play him or BJ stood up to him, probably bit of both.
Can't see where you're coming from there. Any manager picks their best eleven players and if he'd been doing the business he'd have been playing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:
longmover wrote:Another player that we have let slip through the net as Johnson too stubborn to play him or BJ stood up to him, probably bit of both.
Can't see where you're coming from there. Any manager picks their best eleven players and if he'd been doing the business he'd have been playing.
Not true, many managers fall out with players or can’t get the best out of their best players (Mourinho and Hazard for example!). GJ has always had a reputation that when he turns against a player they have no future at the Club. Paddy Madden at Yeovil. George Mac and Kevin Dawson at CTFC.

Whether personal issues, or dressing room / training ground issues it was clear GJ and BG did not see eye to eye and it impacted on the confidence and performance of the player. Like Barnett at Vale, who was ostracised there but now leading the line for us.
CTFC03
I don't think he was up to it but yes it's no good playing them and then not playing them at all so we probably wouldn't have seen the best of him anyway but the previous(it's such a relief saying that) manager was so stubborn that he probably said I want to play more and he probably said get on with it or go so hence his departure, there were far too many fall outs between Johnson and the players that it was mysterious and one of the reasons why he was sacked as he completely lost the plot and probably won't be seen in the League again.