Some thoughts on the 3-1 defeat at Exeter City

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Can be read here: http://bit.ly/5ThingsAwayExeter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cheltenhamforever
Let's be honest - we aren't very good.
Nesty
if we can keep our heads above the waves until January then we can bring in a few Burnley U23's !!
theidlerich
I have watched two home games, so not in a position to comment in depth. However after all the disparaging comments about FGR on this forum it appears - on games and stats so far - they appear to have recruited better and more sensibly than ourselves. This I find hard to accept; but seems to be the pattern of GR's recruitment in general over the last few seasons!
I sincerely hope MD gets to grips and improves the situation soon; sense he's moving in the right direction, but has not been dealt a decent hand.
Over to you OTC!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:I have watched two home games, so not in a position to comment in depth. However after all the disparaging comments about FGR on this forum it appears - on games and stats so far - they appear to have recruited better and more sensibly than ourselves. This I find hard to accept; but seems to be the pattern of GR's recruitment in general over the last few seasons!
I sincerely hope MD gets to grips and improves the situation soon; sense he's moving in the right direction, but has not been dealt a decent hand.
Over to you OTC!
Not exactly hard to poach players like Reuben Reid from L2 rivals when you can offer six figure signing-on bonus and/or houses and cars...if anything, the struggle to get promoted then the relegation battle last season when being able to outspend every other team in the division suggests under achievement and poor recruiting.
Lord Elpuz
A good assessment by JP; It’s important to realise that changes to the way the team plays under Duff will take a little time to produce the necessary results - but good signs are evident, and I can pay no greater accolade to the emerging talent of Ryan Broom to say that we may have found our new John Finnigan.

Keep the faith in this group of players, I’m sure they will start to deliver soon.
The Old TomCat
theidlerich wrote: Over to you OTC!
I'll keep well out of this debate.
I've not had the opportunity this season to watch CTFC [except in Checkatrade Trophy] so cannot offer an opinion.

However it is common knowledge that the team is Gary's and MD is stuck with it until January.
However in 4 games this season Gary gained one point, Russ gained 6 points in 3 games while MD has already secured one point from just two games.
So it would appear that the team has potential to do better than early season results.

Gary is and was a decent manager but sometimes managers become jaded after a number of years bossing same set of players in same team. A fresh start under a new manager could be the just the opportunity that CTFC need to go on a winning run.
It's happened before.
I wish MD all the very best good luck.

BTW RCS, Rubeun Reid still lives in same house in Bristol where he lived while contracted to Exeter.
Alf
The Old TomCat wrote:
theidlerich wrote: Over to you OTC![/quote

Gary is and was a decent manager but sometimes managers become jaded after a number of years bossing same set of players in same team.
I know what you mean OTC but Gary wasn’t bossing the same set of players, certainly not over the past two seasons. Maybe that was the problem?
Shade
Apparently we dominated the first half against and looked very good against a good team that was 2nd, and scored just our second first half goal of the season. We're already seeing progress. I'm sure as the fitness levels rise of those that haven't had much game time yet, we'll see the performances getting better for longer. If it was a Morecambe or Notts County it sounds like we would have comfortably won at the weekend. Let's hope we can see further improvements against Lincoln and then comprehensively turn over Morecambe in the space of a few days at WR.
Robin
Will be interesting if Ian Hutton keeps his job if fitness levels are not so good. On a similar note are Pete Johnson and Aaron Downes still employed by the club or have they left?
Fuller
Robin wrote:Will be interesting if Ian Hutton keeps his job if fitness levels are not so good. On a similar note are Pete Johnson and Aaron Downes still employed by the club or have they left?
Well Pete and Aaron are still listed on the staff on the official website ......
But saying that it still says Gary Johnson is our Manager.
Pathetic....
kags
Did we appoint a new media guy? Made a huge difference when George was here.
CTFC03
How the players aren't football fit like Duff said last week is beyond me.
Artemis
Could be two reasons:
Some of them haven't had a full preseason and secondly, Duff wants to set up for a pressing game. In itself, that requires greater fitness levels.
longmover
CTFC03 wrote:How the players aren't football fit like Duff said last week is beyond me.
completely agree, very low standards at CTFC
plymrob
Here's a thing.

First half a bit of a surprise. Second half normal form and, truth is, we are not good enough (as a previous poster said). Please let's pass the ball more than three times accurately (if we can) - and maybe get to the first ball now and again PLEASE. Thinking on. Let's get to the second ball first then please....

This is surely simple stuff? Please stop getting there almost and then f~~~ it up.

Exeter turned out second half and we we looked shocking. Loads of work to be done...

Simple conclusion to be had.

plymrob