Some thoughts on the Lincoln defeat

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Can be read here: http://bit.ly/Lincoln5Things" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
That's a very damning article JP and feels a bit harsh to me.

As for players going out on loan I see it as a good thing for George Lloyd I just hope we find a good standard and he plays regularly. Kalvin on the other hand should not be allowed to go out on loan as I feel he's a great option from the bench here. Surely better to loan out McAlindon and Debayo who are in the freezer. Also no possibility to return Baldwin or Sam Jones?
Lord Elpuz
I agree that we should not be letting go of Kalvin Kalala. He’s raw but has something about him not seen in any other footballer I have watched. The danger is that he has that raw natural ability coached out of him - he should be allowed to flourish, but work on his decision making ie when to release the ball or take a shot, at the most appropriate moment.
He goes past opposition players as though they are manikins.
paperboy
Robin wrote:That's a very damning article JP and feels a bit harsh to me.
I thought the same,just JP continuing his GJ bashing agenda.
hEaLeR
paperboy wrote:
Robin wrote:That's a very damning article JP and feels a bit harsh to me.
I thought the same,just JP continuing his GJ bashing agenda.
If the mess we’re in isn’t Johnson’s fault, I’d like to know who’s it is?

Dour football, alienate fans & now a team with so little quality that we’re having to scour free agency just to scrape by. Might as well of thrown the Eisa money down the drain.

We’re in a sorry state on & off the pitch. I certainly have every sympathy for what Duff has inherited.
Robin
Are we in a good place? No. But we are in a lot better place than we were when Gould, Allen, Yates and Buckle left Healer. We aren't in realistic danger of the drop, have decent money (although seem to be wasting a lot of it) and have a solid defence in my opinion. The ironic thing is that had we still had Eisa up top and Winchester still I think we would be very happy and positive but I know football doesn't work like that.
hEaLeR
I think we are seeing lots of parallels from when Yates left. Someone’s got to pick up the baton and drive the club forward again. I hope Duff is the man to do this & the first thing he could do is get rid of the stupidity we have in over-using the loan system. Ridiculous.
Horteng
hEaLeR wrote:I think we are seeing lots of parallels from when Yates left. Someone’s got to pick up the baton and drive the club forward again. I hope Duff is the man to do this & the first thing he could do is get rid of the stupidity we have in over-using the loan system. Ridiculous.
Agreed. Lets have some players and make them our own. Not sell at the first offer and build teams around loans.

Need to get the fans/player affinity back. Players we can relate to and consider our own rather than trying them out for another club
Del Boy
We are where we are. It's going to take a couple of seasons to sort the mess Johnson left behind but we've got seven points from six games since he left. That's better than his overall league record with us and we've played several of the strongest teams in the league.

It's a shame Johnson was allowed another summer to wreak havoc with the squad but that's in the past.

Mike Duff needs time to sort it all out. It's not going to be easy but I've got far more optimism now than I did six weeks ago.
Nesty
Del Boy wrote:We are where we are. It's going to take a couple of seasons to sort the mess Johnson left behind but we've got seven points from six games since he left. That's better than his overall league record with us and we've played several of the strongest teams in the league.

It's a shame Johnson was allowed another summer to wreak havoc with the squad but that's in the past.

Mike Duff needs time to sort it all out. It's not going to be easy but I've got far more optimism now than I did six weeks ago.
A win tomorrow night would do a lot to lift the spirits of players and supporters.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Bath City should be our go to loan side for inexperienced players. Local, and the Gill connection means we should be able to work in our favour.

How long have we got Mooney for?
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Bath City should be our go to loan side for inexperienced players. Local, and the Gill connection means we should be able to work in our favour.

January with an option for the season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Bath City should be our go to loan side for inexperienced players. Local, and the Gill connection means we should be able to work in our favour.

January with an option for the season.
Is he better than Lloyd?
Alf
Horteng wrote:
hEaLeR wrote:I think we are seeing lots of parallels from when Yates left. Someone’s got to pick up the baton and drive the club forward again. I hope Duff is the man to do this & the first thing he could do is get rid of the stupidity we have in over-using the loan system. Ridiculous.
Agreed. Lets have some players and make them our own. Not sell at the first offer and build teams around loans.

Need to get the fans/player affinity back. Players we can relate to and consider our own rather than trying them out for another club
Couldn’t agree more. The loan system is useful if the regular squad is suffering with injuries and struggling to put out a team but you can’t build a team around loan players.
You want players’ who are dedicated to the club and wear the shirt with pride. Players who will run through brick walls for the manager and the fans not players who will avoid a tackle in case of injury thereby missing a possible recall to their main club.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:
Horteng wrote:

Couldn’t agree more. The loan system is useful if the regular squad is suffering with injuries and struggling to put out a team but you can’t build a team around loan players.
You want players’ who are dedicated to the club and wear the shirt with pride. Players who will run through brick walls for the manager and the fans not players who will avoid a tackle in case of injury thereby missing a possible recall to their main club.
Seems every team in L2 missed your memo - they are all packed with loans.
Artemis
Loans are a fact of life in the lower leagues. Since the change to fixed windows and the cessation of emergency loans, loan players are an integral part of the squad, used to bulk up the squad precisely because you can't borrow a player in November to cater for injury. You need them on the books just in case.
They are also cheaper than your gnarled old professional, avoid wages during the summer, and should in principle be better standard than our own academy players. Just like any signing, there is no guarantee of success. Some will wither, some will thrive.

And you can build a side around a season long loan. We did with Morrell last year, and have done with Pack and McCann before then.

I'm afraid loans are a consequence of the grip that the top flight and therefore television has on the game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Top of the league Lincoln signed six loans. One of whom scored against us.
Alf
Just because other teams do it doesn’t necessarily make it right.
Robin
The problem is for me we just have too big a squad and seemingly added to it without a solid plan. Most the signings under Russ have been poor, granted they were fire fighting as GJ left us light up top. During the summer GJ sorted the defence but then signed a number of young players on two year deals who have already been frozen out.

How many loans do we have right now? Field, Mooney, Baldwin, Jones and Barnett? Only Barnett has looked good enough but Field is only back up. For me 2-3 loans makes sense longer term and we need to avoid 6-7 like under GJ.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:Just because other teams do it doesn’t necessarily make it right.
No, but it shows it can be successful and should not be disregarded as bad policy out of hand.
Ihearye
All about signing the right 6. Not any, who will end up with splinters on their @ss from sitting in the main stand
Robin
One of the big challenges is that almost all loans appear to be youngsters now, gone are days of loaning a Richard Keogh, Steve Brooker et al.
horlickfanclub
You forgot Maddox Robin.
Robin
Oh yes, he's been easily our best loan this season too.
Si Robin
Robin wrote:One of the big challenges is that almost all loans appear to be youngsters now, gone are days of loaning a Richard Keogh, Steve Brooker et al.
Keogh was only 21 when we had him.

Brooker is a more than fair point about emergency loans though - we got him coming back from a bad knee injury so he needed competitive games. With no emergency loans now it means we simply won't get this type of player anymore.
CTFC03
We have been so bad in the loan market it's laughable, we should only be taking young players on if they genuinely close to getting into their first team and not for the sake of doing so to make up the numbers, you want two players for every position of course but we need permanent players more due to the limit of how many loan players you can have.