Cheltenham Town v Morecambe

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

SHANDY VOR
Ihearye wrote:From the roar I take it we just scored
Clearly a well named poster, as he could hear ye but chose not to watch ye :)
theidlerich
.............those watching on the box missed the star of the evening - well the sight of the space station drifting overhead. We wished a few of our players were there; a few certainly seemed spaced out!
CTFC03
That was very poor indeed and also tonight was a new low, getting a point at home to that heap of shite who if they were better going forward would have killed us off on the break in the second half. I thought Clements was decent but had nobody to pass to half the time, Barnett should not have taken the penalty but I admire the fact that he was brave enough to have a go but we really needed that to go in, Varney was excellent, Maddox had a good game and Hussey looks classy. Defence fell apart slightly second half, Mullins and Boyle made quite a few mistakes but it's only a point at home to a bang average side, I feel sorry for Duff having to deal with this mess of a squad, we should be so much better, so much negativity these last three seasons, there were loads of people on their phones/talking to their mates instead of watching the game tonight, people have lost interest and it's all because of you Gary.
RichardMoss
CTFC03 wrote:That was very poor indeed and also tonight was a new low, getting a point at home to that heap of shite who if they were better going forward would have killed us off on the break in the second half. I thought Clements was decent but had nobody to pass to half the time, Barnett should not have taken the penalty but I admire the fact that he was brave enough to have a go but we really needed that to go in, Varney was excellent, Maddox had a good game and Hussey looks classy. Defence fell apart slightly second half, Mullins and Boyle made quite a few mistakes but it's only a point at home to a bang average side, I feel sorry for Duff having to deal with this mess of a squad, we should be so much better, so much negativity these last three seasons, there were loads of people on their phones/talking to their mates instead of watching the game tonight, people have lost interest and it's all because of you Gary.
We are also a football league club rather than a part time club “all because of you Gary”. There is negativity around the place because of fans that can’t let go of the fact that the last few seasons have been underwhelming. Be thankful the club is still in the football league and get behind the new manager and new era of the club rather than writing off the season and squad after 10 games or so, it’s going to take time for us to settle and start getting results. New manager, new players and a new footballing philosophy so just give it time. Performances and results will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Benctfc
imo it all feels very similar to when Yates left. Continues poor quality football and a poor unbalanced squad left for the new manager to deal with.The only difference being we acted earlier in the season this time and have given the new manager time to turn it around. It feels similar to when Johnson took over and the need for the club to almost reinvigorate itself to get the fans back on side and rebuild interest.
Lord Elpuz
Russ Milton was winning games with the players from this squad.

I have some concerns that we are seeing a repeat of the situation we had following the clamour by some to oust Mark Yates. This is what happens when a section of fans turn on a manager - it drags the whole club down and it’s very difficult to recover from the turmoil it causes. We are now just one point above a bottom 2 placing and I certainly don’t see an improvement on what Russ Milton was producing in terms of gaining precious League wins, in his caretaker role. Unfortunately, the same people who wanted to oust Johnson, also made their feelings known about Milton. As some said at the time, “Careful what you wish for”.
Benctfc
I blame the board just as much as Johnson tbh. As with Yates we always let the inevitable drag on when hard decisions need to be made. It was obvious in both cases mentioned we hung on an extra summer too long most fans could see it but the board took the easy option in letting them rebuild squads when they weren't up to the job. Both had very good seasons with the club but there is a time to part ways our loyalty towards managers recently has been our undoing.Unfortunately this is the mess that is left.

It is all about survival now this season and hoping Duff can build a squad to regain some positivety around the club next season.
Alf
To be fair to Duff I think he is approaching the problem in the right way. He has a ridiculous number of players to sift through for a club of our size and has to give everyone a chance. Huge improvements will not happen overnight. It is easy to understand the attitude of the fans as they have had two seasons of frustration before this and are keen to see instant improvements with the new manager. I think he is moving in the right direction, the fitness levels are improving and performance wise, he needs to separate the wheat from the chaff. I would like to think that we will be watching better performances in a few weeks.
theidlerich
Duffo deffo has a duff squad inherited from the Jo’os! Recent posts had highlighted a toughened squad, conceding fewer goals; well, didn’t see too much of that last night. Disappointing to say the least; poor MD has his work cut out to make the silken purse me thinks. A few stood out for me though; Maddox as usual [a real gem, and do wish he would take on players in the box and shoot – he has the skill]; Varney looked industrious and potentially a good acquisition; Mullins and finally Dawson too [not many would agree..].
Forster too slow and ponderous, decent stopper but a moderately quick winger will pass him all too easily, as we saw. Morecombe were quicker on the attack and hared down the flanks with ease. Barnett for me is a marginally quicker version of DW, and you know what I thought there! How the squad let him take the penalty I'll never know; seriously dumb decision. Ref ok mostly; the S&B lino missed several off-sides [fitness??]. Two decent saves from their keeper; the header and V's cracking shot hitting the top of the bar [that would have been goal of the season if a foot lower [350mm..].
To me the game highlighted how poor our recruitment was, yet again, do not understand why so many plaudits for GJ and his brother. I do believe MD will turn it round, but it will take time, so the game cancelled will help him.
Robin
To totally blame GJ for recruitment is incorrect, look at the panic signings made by Milton only Barnett has succeeded (granted last night he was below his usual standard) this is why we have a bloated squad.

I'd like to see all four of our youngsters out on loan, that means Smith, Debayo, Lloyd and Bower at least until January getting regular games at a reasonable level. I'd like to see us send Baldwin and Jones back asap that then leaves us with 23 players, probably about the norm for this level and something for Duff to work with until January. At that point we need to be signing wingers, a central midfielder and possibly another striker.
Del Boy
Why did we need to make 'panic signings' four games into the season?? Because yet again Johnson's recruitment was awful.

I appreciate you've got some sort of love-in with the Johnson bros despite their two-years of dismal failure, Robin, but they have left the squad in an awful mess and it won't be sorted any time soon. Duff has got one hell of a job on his hands but at least there is hope. With Johnson there was none.
Robin
I've already said GJ deserved to be sacked but we've not improved since, although I do recognise Duffo has made us more organised and there has been a very good work ethic despite last nights shambles. I will fully criticise GJ for signing McAlinden and did so at the time but the panic approach after that has only made things worse.

I'm usually one of the biggest optimists but I am running low on enthusiasm for what looks increasingly like another poor underachieving season drifting in the bottom half.
Del Boy
Given the mess Johnson left behind I genuinely cannot believe anyone would suggest it could even start to be solved by the new manager in four games.
I would say our first-choice strikers are much better than when we started the season. That, at least, is improvement.

Johnson was given more than 100 league games and some still wanted to keep him! I think we can give Mike Duff a few more than four games - he's certainly going to need it. This mess won't be sorted out for a couple of season.

Given we strangely allowed a manager with a proven track record of league failure at our club to sign another load of players in the summer - plenty on two-year deals - how is it any surprise we're set for another poor season??
Robin
I am not sure people are prepared, just look at recent attendances and there was a lot of unrest in the crowd last night. Lethargy has set in and I sense anger is not too far away whilst our home form remains this bad.
Del Boy
I don't particularly agree but if you are right and anger is not too far away I just hope it is directed at the guilty party. Then again it's a long way to Torquay.
Fuller
Unrest, lethargy, anger at Whaddon Road ?

Surely not....
vickeryc
Del Boy wrote:Given the mess Johnson left behind I genuinely cannot believe anyone would suggest it could even start to be solved by the new manager in four games.
I would say our first-choice strikers are much better than when we started the season. That, at least, is improvement.

Johnson was given more than 100 league games and some still wanted to keep him! I think we can give Mike Duff a few more than four games - he's certainly going to need it. This mess won't be sorted out for a couple of season.

Given we strangely allowed a manager with a proven track record of league failure at our club to sign another load of players in the summer - plenty on two-year deals - how is it any surprise we're set for another poor season??
Would it not be more apposite to direct your ire towards the Board, within whose gift it was (if it so chose) to part with our former manager before player recruitment began?
Alf
I don’t think it was as straightforward as that.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:
Del Boy wrote:Given the mess Johnson left behind I genuinely cannot believe anyone would suggest it could even start to be solved by the new manager in four games.

Would it not be more apposite to direct your ire towards the Board, within whose gift it was (if it so chose) to part with our former manager before player recruitment began?
Indeed. Gary was just doing his best in the job he was employed to do. If such an obvious failure as some say, why did those employers stick with him?
Robin
GJs early recruitment was pretty good on the face of it too. It was the late summer panic signings of McAlinden, perhaps Duku, Debayo etc. that I would question.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:GJs early recruitment was pretty good on the face of it too. It was the late summer panic signings of McAlinden, perhaps Duku, Debayo etc. that I would question.
Yup. We will never know who is to blame for the Rowe nonsense, and whether Gary was instructed to offer two year deals as new club policy or just decided himself. The Chairman usually active in contract discussions?
Robin
I don't think the chairman is but Paul Godfrey (as club secretary is).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I don't think the chairman is but Paul Godfrey (as club secretary is).
Paul Baker used to be I’m sure.
SHANDY VOR
What? Paul Baker used to be called Paul Godfrey? And why would he change his name?

Or do you mean that Paul Baker used to be the Club Secretary (before Chairman)?