28th minute

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Hubert Parry
Two students in front of me decided enough was enough, stood up, exit stage right.

Notwithstanding the last minute equaliser, that was total garbage. The club is on life support.
Benctfc
It really is terrible and as said in another thread I doubt many clubs in the football league have had as poor football to watch as we have recently. I'm surprised as many as 2,000 turned up tonight given how poor the home performances have been. Massive turnaround needed Duff really has got a tough job on his hands.
MittonRobin
Hubert Parry wrote:Two students in front of me decided enough was enough, stood up, exit stage right.

Notwithstanding the last minute equaliser, that was total garbage. The club is on life support.
Are you at all Surprised? That's me done for a while now also! I could have strung 11 players together from the local pub to do a better job than that last night. Unorganised, not good enough ( bar 1 or 2 ) predictable. Very very Boring.
If people think we will survive this season you really do need to open your eyes! WE ARE s#!t! REALLY s#!t ! The club are going down this year unfortunately and I don't see a way back. Happy Wednesday
vickeryc
MittonRobin wrote:
Hubert Parry wrote:Two students in front of me decided enough was enough, stood up, exit stage right.

Are you at all Surprised? That's me done for a while now also! I could have strung 11 players together from the local pub to do a better job than that last night. Unorganised, not good enough ( bar 1 or 2 ) predictable. Very very Boring.
If people think we will survive this season you really do need to open your eyes! WE ARE s#!t! REALLY s#!t ! The club are going down this year unfortunately and I don't see a way back. Happy Wednesday
Total over reaction. Not everything last night was great, but we were clearly the better side for most of the game and should've won easily. We were our own worst enemy - switching off for their goals (their only shots on target) and the penalty howler. Varney was also unlucky to hit the bar in the first half. Try and be a bit more balanced in your 'critical analysis'.
Scarface
I’m sorry vickery but last night was absolutely appalling

I concur, I’ve seen better football at Benthams 5–a-side.

Again Forster is shocking, did we win him in a raffle?

I’d only keep Maddox and Varney based on last night.
vickeryc
Scarface wrote:
I’d only keep Maddox and Varney based on last night.
So you'd get rid of Hussey and Flinders? I conceded in my earlier post that not everything was great last night. It wasn't a good performance - we clearly lack confidence and fitness levels are an issue with certain players. I'm as disappointed as everyone else, but this is a tough league and no team is a pushover, not even Morecambe. There are some positives and these should be acknowledged instead of solely focussing on negatives.
MittonRobin
vickeryc wrote:
MittonRobin wrote:

Total over reaction. Not everything last night was great, but we were clearly the better side for most of the game and should've won easily. We were our own worst enemy - switching off for their goals (their only shots on target) and the penalty howler. Varney was also unlucky to hit the bar in the first half. Try and be a bit more balanced in your 'critical analysis'.
If you continue to be happy watching that dross served up last night against what only can be described as a " pub team " then you deserve a medal. Not good enough in the slightest and I am baffled as to how you can except that. Money cant be an issue to you in my opinion as no one should be made to pay £20 to watch that. The Club is still going one way as I said in the summer. This squad wouldn't look out of place in the Cheltenham league.
Last edited by MittonRobin on 03 Oct 2018, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.
Ihearye
That stat on the scoreboard I can almost see from my seat in the CF didn't have us down as clearly the better side. Concur about Varney and Maddox. And maybe throw in Mullins as the other outfield player. Tyrone may come good, but surely Varney was the obvious person to take that penalty? We can pass it back and forwards to the cows come home, it doesn't make great viewing imho if here is no end product. I feel for Duff, my frustrations must be miniscule compared to his
Robin
Last night I heard people saying they thought Duff was the wrong appointment, had we not scored when we did I'm fairly certain there would have been a lot of booing at half time and full time. For the first time this season I am worried and if it doesn't change quickly anger/frustration is going to grow.

Hopefully it was just an off day but Field, Dawson, Clements, Atangana were all shocking whilst Barnett, Boyle and even Mullins/Flinders were well below standards they have set against easily the worst opposition we've faced at home. The only real positive was Varney who looked genuine class up top, keep him fit and I'd be very hopeful he will score 15-20 this year.
Robin
By the way I thought since Duff had come in I'd noticed more organisation and higher work ethic, none of that was there last night. I don't believe the players lacked effort but decision making was woeful, we gave the ball away and got caught in possession far too often (Clements/Atagana/Dawson the worst culprits). Duffo persists with 4-4-2 when we just don't have the players to suit the formation I'm afraid.
horlickfanclub
That must be 100 plus players who can't play 4 4 2 according to you Robin . Would you prefer to see one up front and 500 in the crowd? Defending let us down last night but we kept going and that point is valuable. With Hussey back and Long to come we will improve .One or two better performers make the others play.
Scarface
Flinders, has been good this season, but wasn’t up to scratch last night. Cranston goal was pretty soft from my view.

Hussey- I reserve judgement as he only came on for 15/20 mins. Did a couple of crosses that looked threatening.

Absolutely baffled as to why Barnett took the pen when clearly Varney looked the more confident and also wanted to take it.

Feel for Duff, he needs to trim the fat sharpish because players lingering around the ground is not good for any party.

Fitness remains questionable and am surprised we can’t manage 90 minutes when it’s their full time
Job to be fit...

Hoping Duff can keep us afloat until January when he can bring in some players he actually wants
Robin
horlickfanclub wrote:That must be 100 plus players who can't play 4 4 2 according to you Robin . Would you prefer to see one up front and 500 in the crowd? Defending let us down last night but we kept going and that point is valuable. With Hussey back and Long to come we will improve .One or two better performers make the others play.
We have Maddox on the wing who is clearly more comfortable in a central three or just off the strikers in a 4-3-3. We also have Dawson who has been poor, rarely seems to beat a man and can't deliver decent crosses. If we are to play 4-4-2 then we need decent wingers.
Jerry St Clair
Scarface wrote:
Hoping Duff can keep us afloat until January when he can bring in some players he actually wants
Yes, though I'd say he needs next summer as well.

Basically, the malaise left behind by Johnson will take time and effort to sort out. I don't expect to see much improvement until this time next year when we'll have a squad and playing style that is more Duff's than Johnson's. Sorry folks, its tough, but its times like this when clubs really need us. We soaked up the good times a few years ago when we won the National. Now we need to pay a little back.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:
Scarface wrote:

Basically, the malaise left behind by Johnson will take time and effort to sort out. I don't expect to see much improvement until this time next year when we'll have a squad and playing style that is more Duff's than Johnson's. Sorry folks, its tough, but its times like this when clubs really need us. We soaked up the good times a few years ago when we won the National. Now we need to pay a little back.
We forked out hundreds of pounds on season tickets despite two seasons of awful home form and dire matches - that is more than a little paid back.
ThelmaChen
Jerry St Clair wrote:
Scarface wrote:

The 2 seasons before winning the National League we finished 17 and 23. The 2 seasons after, we finished 21 and 17. I don't think there is much to pay back for 4 out of 5 rubbish seasons.
Ihearye
The thing is as much as I (we) moan, I know I will be back for the remainder of the season. Last night just seemed as if they were going through the motions on the pitch and that I was going through the motions sitting there watching it. That's when I decided late into the game that an early start home was a better idea.
99% of the teams that come to us break and attack and speed. We get over the halfway line, then wait for the cavalry to arrive. If we were a Barcelona and our passing back and forwards was just a ploy, until we unleashed a blistering attack, then I could watch it all night. However when it is a ploy, until we lose the ball. It becomes somewhat less entertaining
vickeryc
MittonRobin wrote:
vickeryc wrote:
MittonRobin wrote:
If you continue to be happy watching that dross served up last night against what only can be described as a " pub team " then you deserve a medal. Not good enough in the slightest and I am baffled as to how you can except that. Money cant be an issue to you in my opinion as no one should be made to pay £20 to watch that. The Club is still going one way as I said in the summer. This squad wouldn't look out of place in the Cheltenham league.
I'll be brief:
1. Where did I say I was "happy"? I was no more happy than you. I simply made the point that some supporters only focus on negatives and nothing else.
2. I wouldn't describe a club like Morecambe, who came into the match looking for a third consecutive win, as a "pub team".
3. No one is "made to pay £20 to watch". It is optional.
Si Robin
MittonRobin wrote:
vickeryc wrote:
MittonRobin wrote:
I wasn't there last night so I won't comment on the performance but this "pub team" you refer to had won their last two League games. It must be a league full of "pub teams".
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
“Pub team” is obviously hyperbolic and OTT. However, the OP is genuine and concerning. It is worrying that we appear some way from turning the corner.