The butterfly effect

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
I genuinely believe this but if you don't agree then feel free to textually abuse me.

Opinion: If Kyle Storer hadn't have bitten the Lincoln player in the final game of the NL winning season and got himself banned for 8 (9) games, we would be at least a comfortable mid-table team now and GJ would still be in charge, everything would be much rosier.

Reason of thinking: We would have picked up more points early on in the season if he'd just behaved himself, I remember there being a few draws that could well have been wins with him marshalling the midfield, the likes of 2-2 away at Newport especially spring to mind. Momentum and confidence wouldn't have dropped so low as a result, damaging the upward curve we had been on and GJ wouldn't have had a reason to start tinkering around with the different shaped pegs and holes. The following summer would have seen more quality additions to the squad and only moving a few players on, rather than pretty much starting again from scratch.

This also works with Dan Holman and his foot problem, although I seem to remember that was a bone spur and therefore nothing could have really been done to change that happening.

In on of the parallel universes, Storer didn't bite the guy/got away with it and we got promoted to League 1 last season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We certainly started with the rest of the season having a head start.

Not just Storer, but the squad not being completed until seven games in.

And starting behind the curve this season - Hussey and Long out from day one. Still making signings in September.

How far do we go back? If Goulding’s screamer at Wembley hadn’t hit the bar...if Wesolowski hadn’t snapped his shin...if Yates playing one season too long (giving away how many leads, including 2-0 leads?) combined with Chesterfield fluking it at Ashton Gate in our first ever season in L1...etc
Artemis
If Gloucester hadn't lost to Salisbury....
Shade
Well yes, every moment is a butterfly effect based on the decision you make potentially effecting the rest of yours and others lives. But Storer's bite, something completely unnecessary and brainless, has affected the club and supporters much more than expected in the long run. Not that I'm saying we should hunt him down and make his life a misery, far from it, but I just thought it was worth posting on what was a quiet Monday.
everyman
Shade wrote:I genuinely believe this but if you don't agree then feel free to textually abuse me.

Opinion: If Kyle Storer hadn't have bitten the Lincoln player in the final game of the NL winning season and got himself banned for 8 (9) games, we would be at least a comfortable mid-table team now and GJ would still be in charge, everything would be much rosier.

Reason of thinking: We would have picked up more points early on in the season if he'd just behaved himself, I remember there being a few draws that could well have been wins with him marshalling the midfield, the likes of 2-2 away at Newport especially spring to mind. Momentum and confidence wouldn't have dropped so low as a result, damaging the upward curve we had been on and GJ wouldn't have had a reason to start tinkering around with the different shaped pegs and holes. The following summer would have seen more quality additions to the squad and only moving a few players on, rather than pretty much starting again from scratch.

This also works with Dan Holman and his foot problem, although I seem to remember that was a bone spur and therefore nothing could have really been done to change that happening.

In on of the parallel universes, Storer didn't bite the guy/got away with it and we got promoted to League 1 last season.
My aunt would have been my uncle if ??
Shade
everyman wrote:
Shade wrote:I genuinely believe this but if you don't agree then feel free to textually abuse me.

Well done
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Well yes, every moment is a butterfly effect based on the decision you make potentially effecting the rest of yours and others lives. But Storer's bite, something completely unnecessary and brainless, has affected the club and supporters much more than expected in the long run. Not that I'm saying we should hunt him down and make his life a misery, far from it, but I just thought it was worth posting on what was a quiet Monday.
It does indeed show such mindless acts cause damage beyond just the ban/punishment.
leohoenig
Very good, but surely misinterptreting the basis dynamics.
The butterfly effect is only a minor data adjustment that can push a fundamentally unstable system in one direction or another.
If the system is fundamentally stable, then a butterfly cannot create a storm. There would be too much damping.

Only when a storm is inevitable, can a minor perturbation affect the direction of the outcome.
This is why the effect is often related to weather systems, because they are fundamentally unstable
[As an adjunct the discussion, has there been any studies of the effects of windfarms and solar panels on weather systems? As they take energy out of the system, they must have an effect as this energy would otherwise be elsewhere, in accordance with the second law of thermodynamics]

Far too much of Ray Bradbury's short story on the subject (A sound of thunder) is taken to be fact.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:Very good, but surely misinterptreting the basis dynamics.
The butterfly effect is only a minor data adjustment that can push a fundamentally unstable system in one direction or another.
If the system is fundamentally stable, then a butterfly cannot create a storm. There would be too much damping.

Only when a storm is inevitable, can a minor perturbation affect the direction of the outcome.
This is why the effect is often related to weather systems, because they are fundamentally unstable
[As an adjunct the discussion, has there been any studies of the effects of windfarms and solar panels on weather systems? As they take energy out of the system, they must have an effect as this energy would otherwise be elsewhere, in accordance with the second law of thermodynamics]

Far too much of Ray Bradbury's short story on the subject (A sound of thunder) is taken to be fact.
Bad sailing lea side of an offshore array, I can tel you that.
Daveangel
Shade wrote:
everyman wrote:

Well done
She still could be if she identifies as an Uncle.

It's 2018! :)
Shade

Interesting. I only watched the film, however, where a moment of madness by a kid changes everything. If it's a good enough title for them, it's a good enough title for me.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:

Interesting. I only watched the film, however, where a moment of madness by a kid changes everything. If it's a good enough title for them, it's a good enough title for me.
Football team performance is inherently unstable with a multitude of tangible and intangible factors combining to determine success or failure so I think the butterfly effect is very apt.
longmover
someone on Twitter had the idea that Gary's fallout (and subsequent freeze out) with Bartram meant Winchester was pushed into defence, the rest is history.
SHANDY VOR

Sorry Leo, you lost me half way through the first sentence. Can you explain through the medium of cartoons and I'll come back with any further questions.
SHANDY VOR
Daveangel wrote:She still could be if she identifies as an Uncle.

It's 2018! :)
Evening Dave.

Or maybe an Ancle or an Unt.