pitch

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ihearye
Dog walking thoughts again.
Not sure on pitch width re regulations, however if at all possible I would be looking to narrow the pitch. We don't currently have the skill set across the team for wide expansive football. So maybe in the short term we might benefitt from giving the opposition less space to play in??? Just a thought. Believe given time MD will sort this lot out
Robin
It's probably worth looking at but generally we've not been cut open by the opposition too often, it's going forward where we seem to be lacking not creating enough chances so a shorter width pitch unlikely to help there.
Jerry St Clair
Ihearye wrote: Not sure on pitch width re regulations, however if at all possible I would be looking to narrow the pitch.
Minimum pitch width is 50 yards as required by IFAB Law 1

Whaddon Road is currently 72 yards (https://www.footballgroundguide.com/lea ... -town.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

This does seem to be a little wider than a random sample of other clubs. FGR and Swindon both have pitches 70 yards wide. Newport is 71. Wembley's, by contrast is, 75.
everyman
Robin wrote:It's probably worth looking at but generally we've not been cut open by the opposition too often, it's going forward where we seem to be lacking not creating enough chances so a shorter width pitch unlikely to help there.
We don`t use the width of the pitch when going forward,allowing the opposing defence to be compact in the centre exactly what every defender wants.
Ihearye
everyman wrote:
Robin wrote:It's probably worth looking at but generally we've not been cut open by the opposition too often, it's going forward where we seem to be lacking not creating enough chances so a shorter width pitch unlikely to help there.
We don`t use the width of the pitch when going forward,allowing the opposing defence to be compact in the centre exactly what every defender wants.
My thoughts were more or less along those lines. If we can't productively use the width, why let others have the advantage. The way I see it is that we are currently looking at a team of grafters (on the whole). Therefore much easier to play that 'in your face' game on a tighter pitch. Another plus is that it should benefit both our FB (in situ at the moment).