Looking over our shoulder

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Artemis
Right then del boy, why say bang average when what you really mean is not good enough to keep us in league 2. That's below average and no where near good enough to get us promoted.

Re: two year deals. For years, we've dished out one year deals. The consequence of that is the team is cycled every 12 months. Apart from the ones who are not getting better offers and we decide to keep. Until they fall into the not good enough or get better offer categories. And so the cycle goes on.
Thats not good enough for some, judging by the moaning about rebuilding every year. So this year we offer two year deals. That's not good enough either.
Nesty
the point is that GJ was dishing out 2 year deals to players not good enough for one year deals.
Robin
Which players though, the majority you would say based upon prior experience appeared good enough, the only real exception is Debayo and he's still a kid.
Robin
Shade wrote:My own personal opinion is that when we have a regular back 5 of Flinders, Long/Alcock, Mullins, Boyle, Hussey things will rapidly improve. Forster is just doing a job at RB, and we obviously need a settled, quality left back as well. Once this settled base is in tact, I believe this will greatly improve defending and attacking.
I wish you are correct Shade but our midfield is the biggest problem for me and has been since the Crawley game, we lost Pell who could drive the ball forward, the creativity of Morrell/Winchester. We then added a defensive player in Tozer, I'd guess a passer in Thomas but not seen enough of him and gambled on a young kid released from another league two side who was then loaned out to Bath. If we still have any money left I'd like to see us sign Morrell permanently in January and add another experienced lower league player in there whilst moving on Thomas and Tozer.
joes dad
Artemis wrote:
joes dad wrote:
Robin wrote:It's pathetic to be honest. It reminds me of Brexit, making stupid demands that cannot be realised only to self-harm ourselves in doing so.
Surely you mean stupid demands from the unelected morons in Brussels.
Based on the way they're running rings around our direclty elected politicians and appointed civil servants, I'd say Michel Barnier and co are about as far removed from morons is possible to be.

And Donald Tusk is an indirectly rather than unelected politician. And also not a moron.
Stay off the Express and Mail for a while, you might learn something useful.[/quote

You must be crying at the Mail readership figures :D
Mail and Spectator only for me.
I certainly wouldn't learn off a snowflake. :oops:

Oh and whats a direcity? :roll:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:This will have to be my last reply - I'm wasting too much time I haven't got on this nonsense.

Robin, if you can find anywhere I've said sacking Johnson was a magic fix for instant improvement I would be amazed. I haven't. He will need at least a season to sort it out.
In the time between sacking Johnson and appointing Duff we won two league games. You point to signing inferior players - Johnson spent two years mostly signing these that's why we finished down the bottom and the squad he left us had no decent attacking players.

You say he tried to sign Rowe. Quite true. When that didn't happen he had no plan even when we needed more than one striker. Surely a novice in football management would know signing players is not straight forward let alone a veteran. To blame the board for Johnson failing to sign decent strikers shows where your loyalties lie.

You question my reference to two-year deals (personally I would only give two-year deals to player proven for the club otherwise it's asking for trouble) and then point to three of them that haven't worked out, one that was signed with a long-term injury, one prospect and one success. Not much else I have to add there.

You say 23 players is about right then agree it was lop-sided hence the 23 players was not the finished squad so it was always going to end up bloated.

You say under GJ we lacked quality in midfield. We also had no strikers. So we're left with a defence - ironically that was missing last season - and a goalkeeper. Think you can see how weak that argument is.

What also is failed to mentioned when supporters like you say it's all got worse etc is that in Duff's five league games we've played three teams in the top four. Perhaps it was you who demanded a magic fix rather than I expecting one. Given Johnson's record of one point a game over more than 100 matches I wouldn't have bet on Johnson getting anything other than three defeats from those games. We've drawn the other two, btw.

Artemis, I wrote bang average - not bang average league two. It was more a way of saying mostly not up to scratch. Personally, I think those who had ideas of grandeur were those who demanded Yates be sacked - some wanted him gone when he was getting us into the play-offs yet wanted to give Johnson more time when his league record was way, way worse. Even in our relegation season when we had four managers Yates has the best record of the lot but of course he gets the blame.

All I want is a team being competitive and not aiming to stay up every season which is what it became under Johnson. I hope Duff can be the man to do this and he has my full backing whatever happens over the next 12 months because the job he's got on his hands is massive.

Sadly there are already some who, like Robbin, are saying he might be sacked in January. Of course, he does it by saying 'some fans' when he really means himself but hopefully most fans will back Duff and give him what he needs to sort the mess out - time.
You have said sacking Johnson was a “magic fix” as often as a “Johnson fan club” has said he is “blameless”. Ie never. Hyperbole on both sides and it is vey weary.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
joes dad wrote:

I do enjoy the Spectator Coffee House blog.

As for not learning off snow flakes, maybe so. But factual information, data and evidence from experts you may learn from.

And yes, everyone I know who works in any job where knowledge, evidence and informed decision making is valued cries at the Mail figures. The fact that so many read it is one of the most sorry reflection of the willful ignorance and pride in stupidity which blights our society.

But I guess in a country more people vote on X Factor than in elections, or when people have aspirations to be on Love Island, rather than say discover a new medicine or economic theory you can’t be surprised people’s intellectual ability doesn’t stretch beyond the Mail.

Nothing more sad than hear someone say “I don’t even know where that country is” with a gleeful laugh like it’s a badge of honour.

Now whether the Mail fuels the dumbification of Britain’s sub-knowledgeable and anti-education, “had enough of expert” demographic, or just capitalises on it one cannot say. I suspect the latter which as a business they are free to do and they do it very well.
little mo
Mods, is this a football forum or a political one, just asking.
Artemis
joes dad wrote:
Artemis wrote:
joes dad wrote:
Surely you mean stupid demands from the unelected morons in Brussels.
Based on the way they're running rings around our direclty elected politicians and appointed civil servants, I'd say Michel Barnier and co are about as far removed from morons is possible to be.

And Donald Tusk is an indirectly rather than unelected politician. And also not a moron.
Stay off the Express and Mail for a while, you might learn something useful.[/quote

As always, populism - simple answers to complex problems.
I note you don't challenge my assertions. Instead you resort to insults. And as you know nothing about me, my age, circumstances, education and what I do for a living (I can attest that those "morons", really aren't morons), you might like to retract that statement about me being a snowflake? I'll forgo the apology this time.
Artemis
little mo wrote:Mods, is this a football forum or a political one, just asking.
A football one - but when crass ill-founded, and frankly inaccurate political statements are made, a response is necessary.
Last edited by Artemis on 16 Oct 2018, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
No politics in my post, purely venting my exasperation as to why some people are against learning and knowledge which to me is akin to happily cutting off your own leg.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
No politics in my post, purely venting my exasperation as to why some people are against learning and knowledge which to me is akin to happily cutting off your own leg.
Doubt it has anything to do with Newspapers, the public gets what the public wants (as they say).

IMHO it all stems from divergence from the Russell group and opening up the theory of 'university for everyone' society. Where people walk around with this air of entitlement. They are entitled to not have to wait more than 30 mins at a hospital / doctors surgery. They are entitled to be at university, studying whatever mind numbing course they choose. They are entitled to be given extra money due to their family back ground, despite the fact student loans etc are for all. They are entitled for entry into University having achieved lower academic requirements. The are entitled to a job. the list goes on and on. Fuelled as you say not only by Mr Blair, but reality shows which depict ejits of low intelligence finding an easy way to make money and then the sheep think they are owed that lifestyle too.
Society has gone mad!
Retain the 11+
Retain selection
Retain Grammar and Secondary schools
Retain the belief that the honesty of earning a trade is a good choice in life.

All this while being able to afford to pay to sit in the CF and watch the beautiful game ( just to work this into a football comment lol)