Forest Green Rovers v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
King giraffe iii wrote:Thought you were very unlucky not to get all three points today. More comedy goalkeeping, Cooper dropping the heart of our midfield and playing three midfielders up front for the first half. I imagine you're much happier with the result than we are. Feels like a defeat.
Two points dropped today for us Giraffe, thought you were very poor in first half and we never really looked in danger. Not sure Flinders made a real save of note? Second half you stepped up a bit without really threatening and scored with your only shot on target we had one disallowed and one cleared off the line but otherwise didn't threaten enough either.
Benctfc
Today for the first time this season I looked at our team and thought it looked a team capable of beating teams in this division. If we can keep the majority of this team fit and get a run of games with them together we should pick up points.
ctfc-fan
King giraffe iii wrote:Thought you were very unlucky not to get all three points today. More comedy goalkeeping, Cooper dropping the heart of our midfield and playing three midfielders up front for the first half. I imagine you're much happier with the result than we are. Feels like a defeat.
Not what Cooper seemed to think on the radio but anything that comes out of his mouth I take with a pinch of salt...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:
Not what Cooper seemed to think on the radio but anything that comes out of his mouth I take with a pinch of salt...
He knows he is under pressure: having one of the biggest budgets below the Championship but starting home games with no strikers on the pitch. A charlatan bottle job.
King giraffe iii
Robin wrote:
Two points dropped today for us Giraffe, thought you were very poor in first half and we never really looked in danger. Not sure Flinders made a real save of note? Second half you stepped up a bit without really threatening and scored with your only shot on target we had one disallowed and one cleared off the line but otherwise didn't threaten enough either.
Very poor is an understatement. Would have been an injustice if Winchester's header had gone in towards the end.

RCS: Cooper's problem is that following a defeat he panics and makes wholesale changes without seeming to give any thought to the ability of the players he brings in and the effect a change of formation will have. He did it after the defeat at Lincoln in our promotion season and we rapidly began to slip up from there.
Horteng
Your last 2 sentences. LOL
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
King giraffe iii wrote:
Robin wrote:
Very poor is an understatement. Would have been an injustice if Winchester's header had gone in towards the end.

RCS: Cooper's problem is that following a defeat he panics and makes wholesale changes without seeming to give any thought to the ability of the players he brings in and the effect a change of formation will have. He did it after the defeat at Lincoln in our promotion season and we rapidly began to slip up from there.
As I said, a charlatan bottle job.
Southstander
A few thoughts about today, apparently both sets of fans ‘ran away’ before the game. You were by far the better team in the first half, tirelessly chasing us down and putting us under pressure which a lot of teams don’t do, if you perform like that you will be well clear of relegation. You didn’t see us off when you were the dominant team and allowed us back into the game. After we scored I thought we were by far the better team and if there was a winner it would be us. Couldn’t believe your following was 600+ that’s 100 less than we took to you and will be less than we take in December. Still a draw was a fair result today all told.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Southstander wrote:A few thoughts about today, apparently both sets of fans ‘ran away’ before the game. You were by far the better team in the first half, tirelessly chasing us down and putting us under pressure which a lot of teams don’t do, if you perform like that you will be well clear of relegation. You didn’t see us off when you were the dominant team and allowed us back into the game. After we scored I thought we were by far the better team and if there was a winner it would be us. Couldn’t believe your following was 600+ that’s 100 less than we took to you and will be less than we take in December. Still a draw was a fair result today all told.
I take you haven’t been your own away end in recent years. After the squalid and dangerous conditions last time (portaloos, no running water, no catering, no seats for less abled, etc etc) I am amazed 600+ risked it again.
Alf
Southstander wrote:A few thoughts about today, apparently both sets of fans ‘ran away’ before the game. You were by far the better team in the first half, tirelessly chasing us down and putting us under pressure which a lot of teams don’t do, if you perform like that you will be well clear of relegation. You didn’t see us off when you were the dominant team and allowed us back into the game. After we scored I thought we were by far the better team and if there was a winner it would be us. Couldn’t believe your following was 600+ that’s 100 less than we took to you and will be less than we take in December. Still a draw was a fair result today all told.

You’ve rather conveniently forgotten to mention that we stuck the ball in the back of the FGR net twice in the second half, cancelled out by what appeared to be rather generous decisions by the officials.
Duffo is gradually making a difference but I’m sure there are a number of players on the books that he wouldn’t have signed given the chance. I think most Robins fans would have taken a point away to FGR before the game. We’ll get there but it may take time.
Ben3
I’m still not 100% convinced by Boyle or nige. Both seem to have mistakes in them too regularly. Maddox good feet but needs to deliver

Scotty, Mullins, Hussey certainly a good start to a league winning team.

I know there’s been debate on this already but neither varney or Tyrone looked fit. They did quite well bearing that in mind!
everyman
Alf wrote:
Benctfc wrote:Of the games I have seen it seems Duff likes to play a high tempo pressing game so its inevitable we will fadein matches. I did wonder at half time would this be a repeat of Exeter away where we went in ahead looking the better team.
They are professionals not park players. They shouldn’t be fading at half time!
Have we really nothing better than Mcalinden to bring on. He doesn’t even look like a footballer.
Klopp found that the Liverpool team he inherited weren`t fit enough to play the full press until now.
Another_FoD_Robin

Jeez someone’s got a chip on their shoulder.... as a fellow poster commented you are missing the couple ruled out for offside and another for a shove which never was considering Varney was elbowed twice in the face and grabbed round the neck when trying to run past Gunning and or Ronson which the ref and linesman looked away and laughed at when appealing.

As for the support we brought..... if I remember rightly you stopped us buying more tickets last season as we were getting too close to the 1000 mark.... I believe some stayed away yesterday because you weren’t very accommodating to fans who cannot stand for almost 120 minutes and then the 40 minutes plus afterwards for the park and ride. I managed to walk down to my car some 1.7 miles away before the first bus even arrived..... I didn’t even leave until all our players had left the pitch so it’s not even like I left early.

If you were any good you would have been well out of this league by now.....it took you three years to get out the NL under Vince!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another_FoD_Robin wrote:

Jeez someone’s got a chip on their shoulder.... as a fellow poster commented you are missing the couple ruled out for offside and another for a shove which never was considering Varney was elbowed twice in the face and grabbed round the neck when trying to run past Gunning and or Ronson which the ref and linesman looked away and laughed at when appealing.

As for the support we brought..... if I remember rightly you stopped us buying more tickets last season as we were getting too close to the 1000 mark.... I believe some stayed away yesterday because you weren’t very accommodating to fans who cannot stand for 90 minutes and then the 40 minutes plus afterwards for the park and ride. I managed to walk down to my car some 1.7 miles away before the first bus even arrived..... I didn’t even leave until all our players had left the pitch so it’s not even like I left early.

If you were any good you would have been well out of this league by now.....it took you three years to get out the NL under Vince!
Southstander is either on a wind-up or is from the OTC/DV school of delusion. A growing trend unfortunately as the fans of old FGR are gradually replaced by sycophants of the new Ecotricity franchise.
THECHOIRBOY
Nothing wrong with park and ride. There were buses there at final whistle as we got straight on with no waiting
longmover
walked back to the park and ride carpark, even quicker.
Southstander
Certainly not getting all OTC about crowd figures, just surprised your turnout was so low. I do get facilities are not great for away supporters but so far 3 teams have bought a larger away following than last season and more will do the same so that can’t be the only reason, I guess your poor form and the perceived threat of trouble put a fair few off.
longmover
Southstander wrote:Certainly not getting all OTC about crowd figures, just surprised your turnout was so low. I do get facilities are not great for away supporters but so far 3 teams have bought a larger away following than last season and more will do the same so that can’t be the only reason, I guess your poor form and the perceived threat of trouble put a fair few off.
Perceived threat of trouble? i've seen more trouble at a new years sale :lol:

Poor form is the main reason, secondly the fixture has lost its novelty and thirdly the new lawn is a logistical nightmare and people just cant be bothered with the hassle.
Sprout Picker
Southstander wrote:Certainly not getting all OTC about crowd figures, just surprised your turnout was so low. I do get facilities are not great for away supporters but so far 3 teams have bought a larger away following than last season and more will do the same so that can’t be the only reason, I guess your poor form and the perceived threat of trouble put a fair few off.
I decided to go at the last minute after FGR made tickets available on the day but wouldn't have bothered if it had stayed all-ticket or if it the weather had been poor. Guess quite a few of our supporters had made other plans by the time the announcement came that tickets were available on the gate.

But as you say, the perceived threat of trouble may also have been a factor especially with the local media trying to create this idea that there are scenes from [Forest?!] Green Street occurring. We seem to have gained a selection of dickheads in the last couple of years who pride themselves on their stupidity.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Don’t forget the Dale Vince factor. His insults and slurs against CTFC in recent years will have put some off wanting to spend money to line his pockets further. I certainly don’t want to and we’ll also be switching from Ecotricity. I used to like DV for his environmental credentials and switching to Ecotricity was the first thing we did when buying a house in 2012. However his attitude, words and actions in recent years have been poor and we do not want to give anymore money to such a distasteful individual.
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Don’t forget the Dale Vince factor. His insults and slurs against CTFC in recent years will have put some off wanting to spend money to line his pockets further. I certainly don’t want to and we’ll also be switching from Ecotricity. I used to like DV for his environmental credentials and switching to Ecotricity was the first thing we did when buying a house in 2012. However his attitude, words and actions in recent years have been poor and we do not want to give anymore money to such a distasteful individual.
You only have to look at the way he tried to screw over that other renewables energy company too. Nasty piece of work.