Forest Green Rovers v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/FGRCTFC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Is it true the FGR Ultras(hit bunch of kids) have been sent running scared by the Cheltenham...having been waiting in the car park to greet travelling fans with bricks and bottles?
Artemis
Now that would be chuffing hilarious. Disgraceful if FGR allowed them there, armed and tooled up, lol.

Bet they didn't try that with Swindle.
Shade
"FGR Ultras" is probably the most ridiculous combination of letters ever assembled.
Jon Palmer
Four changes for Cheltenham: http://bit.ly/FGRCTFC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Probably our best line up with Long being injured.

I like it! COYR. Crush them!
Shade
It actually looks like a strong team. Let's hope that they finally gel after a couple of weeks prep. Nice to finally have first choice full backs both sides for the first time in over two years.
kiaora84
Strongest starting 11 we have had all season. Lacking natural wide players though
Shade
I'd say Dawson and Broom are natural wide players, but Broom will be in the middle of course.
Artemis
A lot hinges on which Nige turns up.

But I reckon that is probably our strongest first team, even if Long was fit. Maybe Forster for Boyle at CB, but no arguments otherwise.

Its certainly experienced, with a dash of youthful quality and attacking verve in Maddox and Broom.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:A lot hinges on which Nige turns up.

But I reckon that is probably our strongest first team, even if Long was fit. Maybe Forster for Boyle at CB, but no arguments otherwise.

Its certainly experienced, with a dash of youthful quality and attacking verve in Maddox and Broom.
Tozer for Nige the only debate imo.
Artemis
Good point well made RCS!

Strong bench too.
Shade
I've actually got a good feeling about this afternoon now. I'm sure I'll bollock myself later for being so optimistic.

Winchester bound to score and the ref screw us over, of course.
Artemis
That's as certain as death and taxes, I'm afraid, Shade. I think we'll get beaten, but by the odd goal in three.
Shade
Mark Halliwell making a fool of himself...

C'mon! Get in! BARNETT finally scores, this will be the start of a shedload from him.

Our pens are c!#p, fair play.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Dawson injured. Any injury or red card is welcome today fighting for the cause. McAlinden coming on: Duff must think he offers more on the wing and in attack than our midfielders on the bench.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Mark Halliwell making a fool of himself...

C'mon! Get in! BARNETT finally scores, this will be the start of a shedload from him.

Yes!! Thank God I am out following on Twitter/RNF and not listening to MH.
Artemis
Why isn't the best set piece taker, Chris Hussey, taking that pen. FFS.
Artemis
In fact, the best player on the pitch.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:Mark Halliwell making a fool of himself...

Yes!! Thank God I am out following on Twitter/RNF and not listening to MH.
He was having a pop at the ref for delaying the penalty by letting an injured FGR player get treatment before it was taken, going frothy mouthed about it, before it was eventually pointed out to him that play can't be restarted with the trainer on the pitch in case the penalty is saved and the ball stays in play.
Shade
Think I just heard announced at the ground, 682 away supporters.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Think I just heard announced at the ground, 682 away supporters.
Correct. JP Tweets 682 in the official away terrace, 3,582 in total. So just 2,900 in the home areas, and we don’t know how many of them are Robins.

So much for the ‘near sell-out’ OTC was claiming earlier in the week.
Alf
Good first half for us but I still think there are fitness issues with some of our players. We tend to fade a bit in second half. Hope we can hold on or extend lead. Hasn’t helped losing Barnett.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:Good first half for us but I still think there are fitness issues with some of our players. We tend to fade a bit in second half. Hope we can hold on or extend lead. Hasn’t helped losing Barnett.
Was he injured, tired or was it tactical?
Benctfc
Of the games I have seen it seems Duff likes to play a high tempo pressing game so its inevitable we will fadein matches. I did wonder at half time would this be a repeat of Exeter away where we went in ahead looking the better team.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Benctfc wrote:Of the games I have seen it seems Duff likes to play a high tempo pressing game so its inevitable we will fadein matches. I did wonder at half time would this be a repeat of Exeter away where we went in ahead looking the better team.
The save from McAlinden the turning point?
Alf
Alf wrote:Good first half for us but I still think there are fitness issues with some of our players. We tend to fade a bit in second half. Hope we can hold on or extend lead. Hasn’t helped losing Barnett.
Was he injured, tired or was it tactical?
Think he had a knock scoring the goal. He was limping after that.
Couldn’t see how Varney was offside when scoring disallowed goal and I thought the FGR player went down far too easily when he scored earlier. We’ve been a bit unlucky in that respect.
Alf
Benctfc wrote:Of the games I have seen it seems Duff likes to play a high tempo pressing game so its inevitable we will fadein matches. I did wonder at half time would this be a repeat of Exeter away where we went in ahead looking the better team.
They are professionals not park players. They shouldn’t be fading at half time!
Have we really nothing better than Mcalinden to bring on. He doesn’t even look like a footballer.
Last edited by Alf on 20 Oct 2018, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:
Loans, rejects, non-leaguers - it takes time to get their fitness up to the required standard.
Alf
Alf wrote:
Loans, rejects, non-leaguers - it takes time to get their fitness up to the required standard.
No, they are professionals. Regardless of who they’ve played for or even if they haven’t been attached to a club keeping fit is the one thing they have to do.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hard to do so without being at a club.
King giraffe iii
Thought you were very unlucky not to get all three points today. More comedy goalkeeping, Cooper dropping the heart of our midfield and playing three midfielders up front for the first half. I imagine you're much happier with the result than we are. Feels like a defeat.
Ben3
Forest Green are a poor side - or at least were today. I don’t want to sound bitter but this site has an odd habit of thinking certain players are better than they are (manny the saviour, Forster the saviour ) - Winchester is in that bracket. They base the team round him they’ll struggle. A poor man’s Archie

Disappointing to concede from a set play

And their number 6 - hahahahahahaha. What an absolute donkey. Very soft for the first disallowed goal

I’d imagine the two sides will end up very near to each other in the final league table, unless either uncover goals from someone

We give the ball away too much in midfield - hussey and Mullins very good I think. Need some ice up front

What a hole TNL is. It’s gets more and more surreal every year. Getting an arm band to go with the ticket was a winner for me :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Ben3 on 20 Oct 2018, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben3 wrote:Forest Green are a poor side - or at least were today. I don’t want to sound bitter but this site has an odd habit of thinking certain players are better than they are (manny the saviour, Forster the saviour ) - Winchester is in that bracket. They base the team round him they’ll struggle. A poor man’s Archie

Disappointing to concede from a set play

And their number 6 - hahahahahahaha. What an absolute donkey. Very soft for the first disallowed goal

I’d imagine the two sides will end up very near to each other in the final league table, unless either uncover goals from someone
Both sides in the 12th-15th bracket come May is my prediction. FGR have been lucky recently - getting away with it today, the dodgy ref at Macclesfield etc. Slowly being found out, and will slip down the league.
Artemis
Alf wrote:
Alf wrote:
No, they are professionals. Regardless of who they’ve played for or even if they haven’t been attached to a club keeping fit is the one thing they have to do.
Most of the players were signed to play GJ's style and were trained to a level of fitness for that style. Which ever way you look at it, GJ's style isn't a pressing game. Duff's pressing game requires a higher level of fitness, and it will take time to get that increased level of fitness into the players. Further, many haven't had a pre-season, and therefore, whilst physically fit, are not match fit, let alone pressing style. Some - e.g. Hussey - also have to be game managed, as MD says, to keep them fit to play. So, it is inevitable that some will fade towards the end of games for a while longer yet. Some may never manage a full 90 minutes. But that's life in L2.