Ashamed

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
Honestly I despair. I just cannot be bothered to engage in this thread anymore but for simplicity we have the keyboard warriors out in force here calling to ban fifty odd young kids for singing and dancing. Seemingly because one of them let off a smoke bomb we should ban them all. In contrast everyone there was having a good time, there were young kids, families, old people all around and not one person complained that speaks volumes. As Jerry said if you have a problem with them go and talk to them instead of writing rubbish on here (*you can find them at all home games behind the goal and they travel to most away games too).
No one is wanting anyone banned for singing and dancing. Understand that basic fact and you may despair less. Singing and dancing is absolutely great and should be encouraged. Everyone on here agrees with that. Forget the singing and dancing, we are not talking about that. Jeez. If you cannot grasp that, you are as thick as mince.

And no one is saying ban 50 fans - people are saying ban those responsible for the smoke bombs.

The video of the smoke bomb shows no families in the tent. And by your own admission you left just as the first bomb went off, so you are no more able to comment on how people enjoyed it than I am.

I ask again; are you stating that setting off a smoke bomb in a tent is fine?
Lord Elpuz
Si Robin wrote:It must be me getting old or something because I honestly can't see the fascination with flares and smoke bombs.

Singing and chanting is one thing (as long as it's not offensive) and a great atmosphere can be created from it - but there has to be a line, and the evidence would suggest that the line was crossed on Saturday.

Two seasons ago Portsmouth fans took over Parklands, the majority of them looked a lot like the lads in the posted videos with their jackets and caps (I'm not going to pretend I know what the decent makes are these days). They were loud, they were brash, but most importantly, they were respectful of their surroundings. If someone wanted to cause the trouble, they would have stood their ground and it could have got nasty, but they certainly weren't looking for it themselves. No tables were broken and Fred was gutted they got promoted.

I had a drink with a few of them afterwards and they were the sort of fans you wanted to stop and get absolutely plastered with (the wife being 6 months pregnant meant I couldn't hang around too long after the game).

That's how you handle yourselves when you're a big club with a big following. The kids on Saturday have a lot to learn. One suspects that had they been in Parklands before and after the Pompey game then they wouldn't have been as loud and as brash as they were in Nailsworth.
In short, Si Robin, those Portsmouth lads had class. Proper football class.

It is sadly lacking in a number of our own fans. Only when one or two of them have received bans will the penny drop. Hopefully some of their testicles will do that instead, and maybe they will then see sense before it’s too late.
Lord Elpuz
Robin wrote: Honestly I despair. I just cannot be bothered to engage in this thread anymore but for simplicity we have the keyboard warriors out in force here calling to ban fifty odd young kids for singing and dancing. Seemingly because one of them let off a smoke bomb we should ban them all. In contrast everyone there was having a good time, there were young kids, families, old people all around and not one person complained that speaks volumes. As Jerry said if you have a problem with them go and talk to them instead of writing rubbish on here (*you can find them at all home games behind the goal and they travel to most away games too).
I undertpstand what you are saying Robin, and you are correctly defending the right of young people to have a great time and create a bit of atmosphere to build the intensity of the rivalry ahead of the big Gloucestershire derby game.

Without wishing to labour the point, the issue is not about getting bans dished out to every one of our youthfully exuberant fans that were in the vicinity, it’s about knowing at what point that exuberance becomes downright dangerous and illegal.

Every single one of us has a responsibility to stop these young kids doing something that is dangerous and illegal - including their own mates - because that bit of exuberance could suddenly turn into a catastrophe, especially when pyrotechnics are being used. If that tent had caught fire, some of those in the tent would have been trampled on, in the rush to escape, and anyone left unconscious in the tent could have died or suffered disfigurement from burns. Not a nice subject at all, but the very reason why the message has to get out there that it cannot be tolerated under any circumstances whatsoever.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:Let's agree to disagree Ihearye honestly I don't want to waste my time arguing this point, it's just not worth it. My only question if I may ask without stoking the flames, were you there and did you see it with your own eyes?
I wasn't in the Saudi embassy in Turkey, however have this strange feeling something went bad there also
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
Robin wrote:Let's agree to disagree Ihearye honestly I don't want to waste my time arguing this point, it's just not worth it. My only question if I may ask without stoking the flames, were you there and did you see it with your own eyes?
I wasn't in the Saudi embassy in Turkey, however have this strange feeling something went bad there also
Robin was there, but he had left just before anything alleged in the media happened - he did pass a chap carrying a saw on his way out, but until then everyone was happy singing and dancing.
asl
Everybody was having a good time in the Saudi embassy.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
According to OTC on the FGR forum this incident is still bubbling:

“I've just been told that there has been a number of letters sent out to some of those Cheltenham supporters who where transported back to Whaddon Road by police in a commandeered bus. Apparently some of those receiving letters have been banned from both Whaddon Road and TNL. There are still on-going discussions on whether to take others to court.”
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:According to OTC on the FGR forum this incident is still bubbling:

“There are still on-going discussions on whether to take others to court.”
Of course. Because the police and the Crown Prosecution Service like to keep OTC fully up-to-date with their cases.
asl
He phoned them to ask.