Jones

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Rick
Send him back. Let his team mates down. :evil: :evil: :evil:
MSB
Plus his manager and all the staff.
Plus the supporters who travelled up on a Tuesday night.
Plus those who watched on ifollow.
Plus those who listened on BBC Glos.

Poorest loan signing in a long time.
Shade
Showed so much promise in his first couple of games.

Twat.
CTFC03
Why are we playing him after he put in no effort at Exeter? It's baffling, put somebody else in who'll fight for the shirt. Ridiculous.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFC03 wrote:Why are we playing him after he put in no effort at Exeter? It's baffling, put somebody else in who'll fight for the shirt. Ridiculous.
McAlinden on the weekend, Jones and Addai today. Duff is experimenting I hope, rather than panicking.
Artemis
Yes, I think he is giving everyone a chance. At least McAllindon tried. Jones surely must never be seen in a Cheltenham shirt again.
paperboy
….well, GJ was rightly criticised for several poor signings ,but I'm not sure that Russ did too well -albeit under some pressure.

Clements
Barnett
Jones
Mooney
Alcock

.. none have been roaring successes.
horlickfanclub
Barnett and Allcock have been useful and Mooney more use than some of Gary Johnsons loanees.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alcock only useful due to Long’s injury but yes better than Forster.

I would like to see Mooney feature a lot more. He brings grit and energy to the team the same way Jimmy Spencer did.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Alcock only useful due to Long’s injury but yes better than Forster.

I would like to see Mooney feature a lot more. He brings grit and energy to the team the same way Jimmy Spencer did.
He also knows how to pick out a good pass and with Varney now here, we have someone with the intelligence to see that pass before it is made
Shade
But then a major difference last night from the weekend was the lack of Barnett's presence. So do you play 3 up top, because you can't leave Varney out?
Ihearye
Shade wrote:But then a major difference last night from the weekend was the lack of Barnett's presence. So do you play 3 up top, because you can't leave Varney out?
Think MD has to pick and choose his matches. Seems (as per Red Dukes post on other thread), we set our stall out to soak up the pressure last night. When we are going for a win, I see no issue with 3 up, or at least one just behind a front two
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
3 up at home this weekend. Show the home fans it is worth coming.

Not like we have a top class midfield we cannot afford to drop anyone from.
Robin
Ihearye wrote:
Shade wrote:But then a major difference last night from the weekend was the lack of Barnett's presence. So do you play 3 up top, because you can't leave Varney out?
Think MD has to pick and choose his matches. Seems (as per Red Dukes post on other thread), we set our stall out to soak up the pressure last night. When we are going for a win, I see no issue with 3 up, or at least one just behind a front two
If we set the team up to soak up pressure against a poor team, out of form and with a number of injuries then you have lay some blame on Duff. It was simply a game we should be approaching looking to win.
Artemis
Three up top means no wide midfield players that often seems to be demanded.
Personally, I'd play:
Flinders
Alcock, Mullins, Boyle, Hussey
Tozer
Maddox Broom
Varney Barnett Mooney

With Varney and Mooney dropping back as needed.
Ihearye
bite the bullet and narrow the pitch. We don't have flying wingers, we can't allow teams space, our midfield is weak, so cut down the space and make the pressing game more feasible
Artemis
I reckon the pitch is already narrower than last season. At least the WR stand touchline is further away from the stand.
But yes, narrowing it would help the pressing game. Although by the sound of it, we got outpressed last night.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:I reckon the pitch is already narrower than last season. At least the WR stand touchline is further away from the stand.
But yes, narrowing it would help the pressing game. Although by the sound of it, we got outpressed last night.
Oldham only had to vaguely jog towards us to press our walking pace, ten touch, misplaced passing game.
Cheltenhamshire10
Artemis wrote:Three up top means no wide midfield players that often seems to be demanded.
Personally, I'd play:
Flinders
Tozer
Maddox Broom
Varney Barnett Mooney

This is the team I'd like to see at the moment. Before Tuesday it was Atangana over Tozer, but now I say give Tozer a chance without Atangana to play the holding midfielder
Rick
Cheltenhamshire10 wrote:
Artemis wrote:Three up top means no wide midfield players that often seems to be demanded.
Personally, I'd play:
Flinders
Tozer
Maddox Broom
Varney Barnett Mooney

This is the team I'd like to see at the moment. Before Tuesday it was Atangana over Tozer, but now I say give Tozer a chance without Atangana to play the holding midfielder
Not a bad shout that
Artemis
Trouble is, I don't think that team can press very well,.particularly against a 4-4-2. Maybe with Broom further back with Tozer it might work.
Thankfully, I'm not the manager, so we'll just see what MD comes up with. I expect it's not that formation though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Maddox, Broom and Mooney are all young bucks, two with aspirations of making it at their own higher league clubs. They absolutely have to press.

If Barnett can’t press for 90 mins, then use the squad. Bring on McAlinden for example, or bring on Dawson in the midfield and push Maddox up, etc.