Tee-Total Tracy

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
Piece on Radio5 at the end of their Drive programme tonight: apparently Pep Guadiola has suggested lifting the restrictions on alcohol at football matches and the show had a discussion about it. One of the contributors was Tracy Howells, a tee-total fan of Cheltenham Town. Obviously she was against lifting the ban - unlike the aggressive Glaswegian who was almost foaming at the mouth about the unfairness of it all.

Interesting topic, though. While I always drive to matches and so wouldn't partake anyway, I do agree that the *general* mentality of fans has changed an awful lot since the 80s.
Robin
You probably won't believe this but I am in total favour of drinking pitch side just as you can at other sports, I really do not see a problem with it or that it in anyway stops bad behaviour.
CTFC03
I'd love to be able to drink pitchside but there are too many idiots around, I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's ever lifted.
Artemis
It won't be lifted. One just has to look at the mentality of the small minority at FGR and the smoke bomb to see that it would be foolish to allow even more consumption pitchside. Besides, we're there to watch football not get drink.
Robin
Without wishing to start an argument please give me one valid reason why drinking pitch side would realistically lead to any trouble. If people want a beer they drink at half time and before, hundreds do it every CTFC home match, the fact they can have a beer during the match shouldn't make a significant difference as it doesn't in any other sport.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Without wishing to start an argument please give me one valid reason why drinking pitch side would realistically lead to any trouble. If people want a beer they drink at half time and before, hundreds do it every CTFC home match, the fact they can have a beer during the match shouldn't make a significant difference as it doesn't in any other sport.
Not many sports see fans wrecking trains, smashing up pubs, letting of smoke bombs, or fighting in the street.
longmover
Robin wrote:Without wishing to start an argument please give me one valid reason why drinking pitch side would realistically lead to any trouble.
I'm sure the police will give plenty of reasons at football grounds up and down the country, its sad but you're asking for untold amount of issues with pitch side drinking that the police just cannot have the hassle of.
asl
Our Tracy's argument was that if we scored, the beer could go everywhere including on people like her. Tony Livesey respectfully pointed out that coffee could do the same...
Benctfc
I wouldn't see it causing issues at clubs like ourselves who have good disciplinary records. The higher up the leagues you go the more problems it would probaby cause. You could argue would stop what happens now where people down drinks before the match and at half time to not miss the match which is just as bad. There's now way this will be approved mind.
MSB
I for one would like to see it introduced. You can buy a beer at football grounds in other countries right to the top level, Germany for example. You can buy beer whilst watching all other sports. At English grounds you have to buy before and at half-time, and what happens then? Takes 5/10 minutes to get a beer and those that do will finish it as fast as possible to get back to the game. Very much counter productive in my opinion.

However I don't believe it will happen. A bit like safe standing all it's going to take is one incident and everyone will kick off about it being better before. Less risk. Unfortunately football fans are viewed as an incident waiting to happen and no matter what anyone says, tries or does, that stigma won't go away.
Johnsons Red Army
Would like to see the ban lifted as well, but also can't see it happening though.
SHANDY VOR
Robin wrote:Without wishing to start an argument please give me one valid reason why drinking pitch side would realistically lead to any trouble. If people want a beer they drink at half time and before, hundreds do it every CTFC home match, the fact they can have a beer during the match shouldn't make a significant difference as it doesn't in any other sport.
Nonsense.

There would be carnage.
Lord Elpuz
I love a good real ale beer. But I know the sensible places to partake of God’s beverage. A football ground in the UK or anywhere that UK soccer fans gather, is the very worst of places to imbibe.

Alcohol and over-exuberant partisan support of something like Football, are a deadly mix. You only have to look at the trouble that English football fans on the Continent have got themselves into and it is always alcohol fuelled. The English in particular (I’m English btw) have a reputation as “lager louts” even in non-football situations on the Continent, and are known for bad behaviour in holiday resorts.

Tracey was partially right when she mentioned about being in the way of fluids expelled. In the 1970s on the Kop at Anfield, those in the know knew to wear wellington boots on the old terraces, because just after half-time a torrent of yellow fluid cascaded down the concrete steps.

There is no ideal way to control alcohol in the hands of those who get carried away and have no self control, and that’s the problem. The few ruin it for the many.
Jerry St Clair
I'd rather we put our energy into changing the law on standing than drinking.

All the main institutions are now, in the main, at least open to the idea of safe-standing. We're so close, so lets concentrate on that. This would have major ramifications for any new main stand at CTFC, so it's an issue that does affect us.
Johnsons Red Army
Personally I don't get the fascination behind standing.

It's far more uncomfortable than sitting (unless you have a seat in the old stand at which point I'd prefer standing!)

Most, if not all, modern facilities are all-seaters and that is something I think any new stand/stadium plans should incorporate, personally.
Jerry St Clair
Johnsons Red Army wrote:Personally I don't get the fascination behind standing.

It's far more uncomfortable than sitting (unless you have a seat in the old stand at which point I'd prefer standing!)

Most, if not all, modern facilities are all-seaters and that is something I think any new stand/stadium plans should incorporate, personally.
it's personal preference. I prefer to stand.

Why do you want to force me to sit just because you prefer it?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Indeed, happy for there to be a mix. At WR, after redevelopment I think a 60/40 split.

At home games I like to sit so I am guaranteed a proper view and cab turn up at 2.55 and not have a poor or obstructed vantage point.

Away games where there is more room to move around and get a deeent view I enjoy standing. I like to watch the whole 90 mins so don’t like standing experiences where you can only see half the game.

I do think seating and standing should be the same price - as it is a question of preference, let people make their choice based on preference and quality not on price.
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: I do think seating and standing should be the same price - as it is a question of preference, let people make their choice based on preference and quality not on price.
100% agree. But that should mean bringing seating prices down to standing levels rather than raising standing prices. I'd venture that if we were in a an all-seater stadium now with £21 tickets, our crowds would already be well below 2000.

The most popular area at Celtic Park is their rail-seating section. They actually have a waiting list for tickets there. Admittedly this a problem unlikely to affect CTFC for the forseeable.
Johnsons Red Army
Jerry St Clair wrote:

To be fair, I never said anything anything about you having to do anything you don't want to do.

More seats = more revenue. More revenue, in theory, = more money for the playing budget.
paperboy
Jerry St Clair wrote:

I just like to have a choice.
Generally at the Jonny-Rocks I stand because it's cheaper and also warmer in the winter than sitting in a stand.
Jerry St Clair
Johnsons Red Army wrote:
To be fair, I never said anything anything about you having to do anything you don't want to do.

More seats = more revenue. More revenue, in theory, = more money for the playing budget.
Yes, fair point. You didn't mention replacing existing terracing.

However, you did imply that you'd remove the paddock standing area in any new stand. There's a decades long tradition of standing in the paddock at Whaddon Road and it's an integral part of supporting the club for many. Munster Rugby have done it superbly. I'd love to see a smaller version of this at WR:

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: I do think seating and standing should be the same price - as it is a question of preference, let people make their choice based on preference and quality not on price.
100% agree. But that should mean bringing seating prices down to standing levels rather than raising standing prices. I'd venture that if we were in a an all-seater stadium now with £21 tickets, our crowds would already be well below 2000.

The most popular area at Celtic Park is their rail-seating section. They actually have a waiting list for tickets there. Admittedly this a problem unlikely to affect CTFC for the forseeable.
Yes definitely bring seat costs down. £17 across the board. People leaving the turnstiles with £3 change in their hand may be tempted by a raffle entry, programme or drink if a vendor is there with no queue.
Johnsons Red Army
Jerry St Clair wrote: Yes, fair point. You didn't mention replacing existing terracing.

However, you did imply that you'd remove the paddock standing area in any new stand. There's a decades long tradition of standing in the paddock at Whaddon Road and it's an integral part of supporting the club for many. Munster Rugby have done it superbly. I'd love to see a smaller version of this at WR:

Fair enough. Based on the responses so far, it does appear that standing is quite important to several of you, and more popular than I imagined.

Not a bad shout on the stand idea, seems like it would appeal to both sitters and standers.
Artemis
Idiots at FGR in a tent drinking and letting off smoke bombs. That a good enough reason for you?

Rugby nor cricket have spectators who feel the need to let off pyrotechnics and similar devices in order to have a good time.