Rubbish

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

MittonRobin
I went and viewed that total utter dross yesterday and I am 100% certain we will be playing conference football next season. Forget January it will be all over by then. What a mess our club is in ! Pathetic !
People who think we will be ok after Jan need there heads banging against the wall. We are a very poor run club at the minute. Quite embarrassing.
Rant over but I as a fan have had enough
Robin
Our worst start ever to a football league season. There are numerous reasons and drivers behind this mess and no one individual is at fault in my eyes.
Lord Elpuz
Sorry to repeat what I have previously stated ... this Club was in a perilous position and on its way out of the League just before Mark Yates took over. Yatesie gave us much more than a stay of execution and almost got us into League 1. He wasn’t backed by the Board for the disastrous 2014/15 season and his bargain basement squad struggled. We all know what happened after he was sacked. The next saviour was Gary Johnson who rescued the Club again in its hour of need.

My very strong belief is that both Yates and Johnson staved off the inevitable (specifically in Johnson’s case, prevented us from staying out of the Football League). It is the moaning fans who have destroyed our chance of staying in this League because they believe we are better than we are and lash out when we have a run of poor form. At best we are a mid to lower end of the table League 2 club. We have to hope that we are also capable of being a top end Conference side again as well, as we won’t have Mr Johnson to rely on next time. Ebbsfleet will be more than a wake up call.

Those who think there is a magic wand come January, need to wake up and smell the coffee because the Eisa money has been used to pay off the last Manager, recruit the new one and to rid the club of some unpopular (with those same moaning fans) players who are now thriving elsewhere. If there is any money left in the kitty, who in their right mind is going to want to come to an all but relegated League 2 team? At best we will end up with a group of Burnley loanees.

SkyBet recently predicted us to be relegated along with Macclesfield, and that we would not win another game this season. It’s looking ominous. We’ve got what some were not careful what they wished for.

I would be delighted for anyone to call me out and prove me absolutely wrong on all of the above, for the sake of our position in the Football League. I would love to be totally wrong at the end of this season. If we go down again, we won’t come back.
Johnsons Red Army
Lord Elpuz wrote:Sorry to repeat what I have previously stated ... this Club was in a perilous position and on its way out of the League just before Mark Yates took over. Yatesie gave us much more than a stay of execution and almost got us into League 1. He wasn’t backed by the Board for the disastrous 2014/15 season and his bargain basement squad struggled. We all know what happened after he was sacked. The next saviour was Gary Johnson who rescued the Club again in its hour of need.

My very strong belief is that both Yates and Johnson staved off the inevitable (specifically in Johnson’s case, prevented us from staying out of the Football League). It is the moaning fans who have destroyed our chance of staying in this League because they believe we are better than we are and lash out when we have a run of poor form. At best we are a mid to lower end of the table League 2 club. We have to hope that we are also capable of being a top end Conference side again as well, as we won’t have Mr Johnson to rely on next time. Ebbsfleet will be more than a wake up call.

Those who think there is a magic wand come January, need to wake up and smell the coffee because the Eisa money has been used to pay off the last Manager, recruit the new one and to rid the club of some unpopular (with those same moaning fans) players who are now thriving elsewhere. If there is any money left in the kitty, who in their right mind is going to want to come to an all but relegated League 2 team? At best we will end up with a group of Burnley loanees.

SkyBet recently predicted us to be relegated along with Macclesfield, and that we would not win another game this season. It’s looking ominous. We’ve got what some were not careful what they wished for.

I would be delighted for anyone to call me out and prove me absolutely wrong on all of the above, for the sake of our position in the Football League. I would love to be totally wrong at the end of this season. If we go down again, we won’t come back.
Agreed.
Alf
I cannot believe that there are people who seriously believe that a few punters having a bit of a grizzle about managers etc; on Robins Nest are causing the Board to call meetings to sack managers or even get PB to pack it in. Comments on The Nest are tame compared to those on the sites of bigger clubs who don’t sack managers after a few fans complain.
It is interesting that those who talk about moaning fans do not seem to class themselves as moaning fans because they think their criticism is valid and not classed as moaning.
Lord Elpuz
Alf wrote:I cannot believe that there are people who seriously believe that a few punters having a bit of a grizzle about managers etc; on Robins Nest are causing the Board to call meetings to sack managers or even get PB to pack it in. Comments on The Nest are tame compared to those on the sites of bigger clubs who don’t sack managers after a few fans complain.
It is interesting that those who talk about moaning fans do not seem to class themselves as moaning fans because they think their criticism is valid and not classed as moaning.
So you don’t think the baying CTFC ‘popular front’ in the PRE have an effect on the Board then? Very naive indeed. The Board get very jittery when the boos start to ring out because they know it’s another precursor to dwindling crowds. How you see that as “a bit of a grizzle” implies you don’t hear it, or you are part of it? The club’s main income is the gate money. Without it we die and we are haemorrhaging enough as it is. PB deserved a medal for putting up with the moaners, a completely thankless task which he took in his stride at great personal cost. And you don’t even consider it had a detrimental effect on him? I’m gobsmacked.

[NB: The moaning fans I referred to are in no way exclusive to The Nest, it more than includes the Terraces as well as other social media sources]
Nesty
I dont remember anyone moaning about PB apart for the way he berated his successor , and that was after he had moved on. we are indebted to the man and i for one wish he was still in charge
Ralph
I agree with LE that the money was spent paying off GJ and getting MD in and if we go down which seems likely we will not be back. Have to say if we do go down, I may well end my 34 year love for this club. I'll be done
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:I cannot believe that there are people who seriously believe that a few punters having a bit of a grizzle about managers etc; on Robins Nest are causing the Board to call meetings to sack managers or even get PB to pack it in. Comments on The Nest are tame compared to those on the sites of bigger clubs who don’t sack managers after a few fans complain.
Of course the Nest does not influence the Board.

But the away fans at Macclesfield, or those chanting for Gary to be sacked after the Carlisle game definitely influenced them in my view.

On Saturday evening the Board issue a statement saying Gary has to improve results. The Board get slated on Facebook and Twitter. Two working days later Gary does improve results. But the Board sack. I believe the fans at Macclesfield shouting for Gary to go, as eagerly reported by JP (who had penned the obituary already before the Carlisle game), had a deciding influence on the suited hitmen gathered in the Directors area.

A grubby night all round, setting the tone the situation we are in now.

We are in the mire, and a rookie Chairman and rookie manager both have to develop fast and turn around the shakey starts to their respective careers.
Artemis
Agreed, my Lord and RCS. Be careful what you wish for is an old maxim, and one so very often proved so in football. The majority of our supporters have known nothing but success both at CTFC and on FIFA, Championship Manager etc with CTFC. And it shows.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:I dont remember anyone moaning about PB apart for the way he berated his successor , and that was after he had moved on. we are indebted to the man and i for one wish he was still in charge
People have been moaning for years. Not putting enough money in when in L1. Not sacking Yates soon enough. Not sacking GJ soon enough. Digs at the Board to the extent that Mr S. Keswick decided not to be involved anymore. Etc.
Ihearye
Anyone who thinks that the board of a football club, takes decisions based on the complaints of a handfull of supporters, has lost the plot!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Anyone who thinks that the board of a football club, takes decisions based on the complaints of a handfull of supporters, has lost the plot!
You think a brand new chairman would have sacked Johnson had the home and away fans been singing pro-Johnson chants during the first four games?
Alf
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ihearye wrote:Anyone who thinks that the board of a football club, takes decisions based on the complaints of a handfull of supporters, has lost the plot!
You think a brand new chairman would have sacked Johnson had the home and away fans been singing pro-Johnson chants during the first four games?
He was sacked because of his poor record. That was there for all to see regardless of whether fans were cheering or booing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
He was sacked because of his poor record. That was there for all to see regardless of whether fans were cheering or booing.
Thanks Captain Obvious.

My point is about timing. Why did the Board release a statement on a Saturday saying Johnson had to improve results, then when he improves results two working days later they sack him.

Having not sacked in the summer after 46 games with the old squad, the decision to sack after just four games with the new squad I believe was influenced by the fan clamour. A Board thinking straight would have given more than 4 games and would not have left an interim in charge of the rest of the window.
Johnsons Red Army
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Having not sacked in the summer after 46 games with the old squad, the decision to sack after just four games with the new squad I believe was influenced by the fan clamour. A Board thinking straight would have given more than 4 games and would not have left an interim in charge of the rest of the window.
Definitely agree with this.
Ihearye
If we take on board Robins comments after the FGR fracas, then those who 'create the atmosphere" are the same vermin who don't know how to support the team during the harder times. So to say anybody listens to them is laughable.
Re the maj of the support knowing only the good times. A quick scan of the age demographic in the stands, would suggest there is quite a large percentage who knew the bad times!
Surely the debate is that the new chairman should not have been left with that decision to make on his own. It should have been taken after FGR at home, then implemented as soon as season completed imho
Artemis
Let me do the maths for you, Confused.
Our home support was around 700 in the mid nineties, when we finished in the upper echelons of the Southern League. Its now around 2400. I make that over a three fold increase. So well over half our support have known only the relative good times of the Conference successes and Football League days.
Ihearye
and it was a higher when in the conference , so what is your point? There have been plenty of bad times along that journey
relegations x 3
avoiding relegation on last day of the season x 2
Almost in Administration
All players put up for sale.

Hardly the good times that you say the support is used to ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:and it was a higher when in the conference , so what is your point? There have been plenty of bad times along that journey
relegations x 3
Almost in Administration

Agreed. Most of the 2,000 or so who come every week now have endured plenty of bad times. The people who enjoyed good times when we got 4,000 each week have since drifted off.

It is the experience of the bad times that leads to my current frustration. We are in a Yates-Buckle scenario again and we all saw it coming.
joes dad
Ihearye wrote:and it was a higher when in the conference , so what is your point? There have been plenty of bad times along that journey
relegations x 3
Almost in Administration

Spot on Ihearye, surprised you had to spell it out :roll:
Ben3
What’s noticeable about this site is the ‘swing’.

Of course Lord Elpuz is correct, it’s obvious.

But try saying that six weeks ago!! You’d have been shouted down by the Johnson-outers who now seem to have disappeared.

Unfortunately when some of us state the obvious on here we’re berated if it doesn’t fit the mood music.

Maybe everyone should just chill out a bit, enjoy the journey for what it is rather than knee jerk and throw the toys out of the pram at every defeat??

I’m all in for Yates when duff goes, and if we have to rebuild in the conference so be it. It’s only the miracles of Johnson and Yates that we haven’t spent the last eight years there
longmover
What makes anyone think Johnson could have got us rocketing up the table with his utter nonsense of a squad he acquired in the summer?
Johnsons Red Army
longmover wrote:What makes anyone think Johnson could have got us rocketing up the table with his utter nonsense of a squad he acquired in the summer?
I'll speak for myself only as I answer this, but personally, as being one of those who have been critical of the GJ sacking, it's not necessarily that I think he would have got us rocketing up the league, just that we may be better off than we are now (because we can't really be much worse!). I certainly believe had he stayed the whole season that we would have stayed up, though.

Personally, on the gates that we get, I feel that we probably are a lower-half League 2 team (at best). And I believe that will be the case whichever manager you have running things, because unless there is adequate income to improve the playing squad, a lot/most of which is generated from ticket sales, then we will hover around where we probably belong.

Unfortunately, a lot of people on here seem to be deluded in thinking that despite our low gates/low fan base, that we are still going to miraculously have a playoff hunting team. Get real folks! Until we get some bums on seats/increased fan base, or, as pointed out by Lord Elpuz on another thread, a rich sugar daddy comes along, then we are probably going to finish where we realistically deserve to with our low gates, i.e. near the bottom.

I'm not sure why some people can't grasp that.

Before Accrington or any similar examples are brought up, remember, those are the exceptions, not the norm.
SHANDY VOR
From the outside looking in it seems as if the Board made a decision based on low risk - that its unlikely you'll go down - and you are swapping mediocre but safe positions for the opportunity to appoint an up and coming coach. And the possibility of something far more appealing to your fans, as well attracting the hasbeens and neverbeens.

Hope.

Its what we all need.
Lord Elpuz
SHANDY VOR wrote:From the outside looking in it seems as if the Board made a decision based on low risk - that its unlikely you'll go down - and you are swapping mediocre but safe positions for the opportunity to appoint an up and coming coach. And the possibility of something far more appealing to your fans, as well attracting the hasbeens and neverbeens.

Hope.

Its what we all need.
I see 3 stages of Hope:

1. Hope
2. Less Hope
3. Hopeless

One ponders on that scale, whether we are currently between 1. & 2. or have we slipped between 2. & 3. or even sunk as far as 3. ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1. for me my Lord.
Nesty
currently we are only 2 points adrift with a game in hand on some clubs, so no need for throat slashing yet.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:currently we are only 2 points adrift with a game in hand on some clubs, so no need for throat slashing yet.
We play the side we are two points - Notts County - away from home on November 17th. We remember what happened in Duff’s last playing appearance vs Notts County. Hopefully no repeat!
paperboy
Johnsons Red Army wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Having not sacked in the summer after 46 games with the old squad, the decision to sack after just four games with the new squad I believe was influenced by the fan clamour. A Board thinking straight would have given more than 4 games and would not have left an interim in charge of the rest of the window.
Some of the board wanted to dispense with GJ's services at the end of last season, but PB stood by him.
Grant McCann would then have been offered the job.
With PB gone Gary was always going to be on borrowed time.

Then,having sacked him the board's gravest error was stalling on appointing a new manager whilst they hoped in vain that Russ would prove to be the man.

With the transfer window shutting imminently they needed to have had a new manager lined up- unfortunately they had chosen Russ.

This means that MD can rightly say that apart from Varney, none of the players were signed by him.
Nesty
paperboy wrote:
Johnsons Red Army wrote:
Some of the board wanted to dispense with GJ's services at the end of last season, but PB stood by him.
Grant McCann would then have been offered the job.
With PB gone Gary was always going to be on borrowed time.

Then,having sacked him the board's gravest error was stalling on appointing a new manager whilst they hoped in vain that Russ would prove to be the man.

With the transfer window shutting imminently they needed to have had a new manager lined up- unfortunately they had chosen Russ.

This means that MD can rightly say that apart from Varney, none of the players were signed by him.

that was the first mistake
Fuller
I was under the impression that Paul Baker had relinquished his place on the board by the end of May, when the new Chairman took over. So not sure why PB would then have had any influence over the Manager's position ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:I was under the impression that Paul Baker had relinquished his place on the board by the end of May, when the new Chairman took over. So not sure why PB would then have had any influence over the Manager's position ?
He didn’t. But easier to blame him rather than face up to mistakes made by current Board.

Surprised no one blamed Baker for the Checkatrade pricing scandal as well.
Johnsons Red Army
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Surprised no one blamed Baker for the Checkatrade pricing scandal as well.
Personally, I'm surprised Gary Johnson hasn't been blamed yet, he seems to be blamed for everything else! :lol: