51/84

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
As a famous poster on here once said a famous manager once said you need 51 points to stay up and 84 points to go up.

We are on ten points from 15 games, so let’s look at the maths.

Current points per game (ppg) of 0.667. If this is maintained over the remaining 31 games we will end on 21 points.

To get to 51 points we need 41 points from the remaining 31 games, or 1.3 ppg. Win, draw, defeat every 3 games will see us home. So looking at ten wins and 11 draws required from the 31 games.
Malabus
Yes we are f**ked.

And you could have failed GCSE maths to work that out.
51/84
absolutely correct
Often you dont need 51 but that is the first target to hit

However after saturday I cannot see us getting anywhere near that target and unless someone goes into serious financial difficulty I do not see 2 teams worse than us

If we go down we will not becoming back quickly

A white knight ( probably cant say that now) or a sugar daddy ( cant say that now) or a benefactor or minor /major celebrity helping us out would be useful

A supply of cups (to be smashed) should be left in the changing room for half time encouragement
The only positive is that perhaps just perhaps we can do what Newport did 2 seasons ago, the problem is we now have a decent pitch and other teams play football on it better than us

PS M Duff said on saturday a quarter of the season had gone I make it just short of a third so 13 wins will I think do it for us ( I dont think we will get anywhere near that)
SHANDY VOR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:As a famous poster on here once said a famous manager once said you need 51 points to stay up and 84 points to go up.

Current points per game (ppg) of 0.667. If this is maintained over the remaining 31 games we will end on 21 points.

To get to 51 points we need 41 points from the remaining 31 games, or 1.3 ppg. Win, draw, defeat every 3 games will see us home. So looking at ten wins and 11 draws required from the 31 games.
Looks like you'll be staying behind to get some remedial maths catch up, along with Robin and OTC. It would be like the Breakfast Club, except with social inadequates, and the only nosebag available will be food for thought.

You will end up on 31 points, not 21, with your current average

Now think on
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:As a famous poster on here once said a famous manager once said you need 51 points to stay up and 84 points to go up.

Looks like you'll be staying behind to get some remedial maths catch up, along with Robin and OTC. It would be like the Breakfast Club, except with social inadequates, and the only nosebag available will be food for thought.

You will end up on 31 points, not 21, with your current average

Now think on
Correct - 21 points from the remaining games, 31 in total. I meant to say “21 MORE points”.
SHANDY VOR
But you didn't.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:But you didn't.
Indeed. The folly of posting quickly on a phone!
SHANDY VOR
You seem to me like a young man in a hurry, but doesn't know where he wants to go.

Word up.

Slow down, consider before you type, think what your point is, reduce the length of your rantifications. Let warmth pour out through your words, convince by reasoned argument, be prepared to learn from others rather than always be the teacher. Re-read your posts before hitting send, make your words finally crafted, don't just hammer them out.

Write them like they are your last, you never know how many you have left.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:You seem to me like a young man in a hurry, but doesn't know where he wants to go.

Word up.

Slow down, consider before you type, think what your point is, reduce the length of your rantifications. Let warmth pour out through your words, convince by reasoned argument, be prepared to learn from others rather than always be the teacher. Re-read your posts before hitting send, make your words finally crafted, don't just hammer them out.

Write them like they are your last, you never know how many you have left.
Sage advise I will endeavour to adhere too.
Shade
I tell you what, I'm glad I missed Saturday's game as it sounds like I'm the only one left with any amount of hope.

We'll still get the play-offs.
Si Robin
I have hope Shade, not for the playoffs, but I'm confident we won't go down. I have no basis for this confidence and, after Saturday, any form of expectation should have been banished, but I certain't ain't one for giving up after 13 games.

With that being said, I think Saturday may have finally opened Duff's eyes to a couple of things, notably that 442 is not going to work with these players, and maybe 352 is the way to go. That Atangana is one of the most overrated players ever to wear a Robins shirt and that it's time to give one of the other midfielders (Tozer and Thomas) a chance in his position.

Teams in much worse positions than us have gotten out of trouble, some have gone on to make late runs for the playoffs. It's much, much to early to throw in the towel.
andgarod
Si Robin wrote:I have hope Shade, not for the playoffs, but I'm confident we won't go down. I have no basis for this confidence and, after Saturday, any form of expectation should have been banished, but I certain't ain't one for giving up after 13 games.

With that being said, I think Saturday may have finally opened Duff's eyes to a couple of things, notably that 442 is not going to work with these players, and maybe 352 is the way to go. That Atangana is one of the most overrated players ever to wear a Robins shirt and that it's time to give one of the other midfielders (Tozer and Thomas) a chance in his position.

Teams in much worse positions than us have gotten out of trouble, some have gone on to make late runs for the playoffs. It's much, much to early to throw in the towel.
I think I must have been in the tardis
Are cheltenham supporters believing what M Duff in saying a quarter of the season has gone
Indeed it has but it is nearly 1/3 gone we have played 15 games not 13! :roll: :roll:
Si Robin
So we have - well, with those two extra games then I suppose I should change my view and write off the season now.