We’ve never replaced Wright

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ben3
Everyone is having a bit of introspection, so here it is but from an authority on the subject - me of course. :lol: . Duffy feel free to take this, I’m giving it free

We’ve not replaced wright. We should have kept him. Graham was a poor man’s Wright. It’s less important for the goals he scored (but we’d take those now!) - it was more a focal point for the team. Hounded out by haters who know nothing about football. If you’re playing right back having Wright in the team makes all the difference as there is an option. We don’t have the option which handicaps the team. It means the pass you have to make is entirely predictable. A bit like mo, having the ‘ball in behind’ option just makes the pitch much bigger.

Boyle isn’t the answer at centre back. I like him, he’s a good lad and best of a bad job. But he’s not good enough. Ditto nige.

The team needs to be built around Mullins, hussey and flinders. They are good enough. The rest can improve or go, some good looking players but who will carry the team when the chips are down? If duff can find it and if the board can afford it we need to buy or loan goals. Doidge or eisa are obvious loan targets, but it’s a competitive market.

I’d also pick a system and stick with it. Everyone understand 442 so that’s the obvious whilst we struggle. I prefer 532 and it also allows Forster to play, who whilst not a long term solution does bring some steel

We need someone to step up and decide we’re not going down. Nige? Mullins? And then to drag the rest of the lads through with them. It’s a marathon not a sprint
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Barnett needs to take on the Wright role.

Jules, Brooker, Big Ben, Danny Wright. Whether promotion, play off final or surviving against the odds we have had one of those big men.

And in relegation seasons who have we had? Not players like them.

We need a big man and if Barnett can’t fill that role we need someone who can.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Mullins, Hussey, Long, Varney are the ones to drag us clear.

But we need someone in midfield. Tozer has done that for Yeovil and Newport so is the obvious contender.
Ben3
Is Larry still playing? He’ll do - chase every ball, tread on the centre half’s toes.

I’ve asked this before but not had a sensible response - how far is duff off being able to play? If we need a point last game of the season to stay up I know who I’d vote for to play centre half
Nesty
we never really replaced ........... lots of players. but until we can clone humans as well as Dolly the Sheep we have to do with distant memories of players of yesteryear like Michael Palin does on Ripping Yarns!! oh for a modern day clone of Boka Freeman, Chris Banks, Neil Grayson, Russell Milton ... etc .......... but I know what you mean Ben3 we havent replaced DW. in the same way we havent replaced Harry Pell etc etc,but we can hope MD gets these bunch playing as a team to fill the gaps left by those departed, but lets not forget that last seasons team only just kept us up.........
Artemis
Dolly didnt exactly have a long and fulfilling life. So cloning ain't going to help us here.
And actually, Danny hardly set L2 alight, so let's not get all nostalgic about his impact. Now Brian Graham, we're missing his drive and determination.
Robin
Barnett wins infinitely more headers than Wright did at this level. Danny was great in the conference and an asset in the dressing room but not football league standard on the pitch.
Ben3
Brian Graham was not fit to tie Wright’s boots. Dire player
asl
Rare for me to agree with Ben, but...
THECHOIRBOY
I largely agree with you Ben.

We would be better this season if Wright was here. Definitely not good enough to start but as an option, one of four, he is something we don't have. Yes he may not always have won headers but he puts himself about a lot more than Barnett does, who i think can be an asset. Just being an out ball and bringing in others is something we have missed.

As for Boyle, I think he is solid enough L2 defender. Sometimes cumbersome but there are much worse out there and we need to be careful what we wish for

On a separate note, see Joe Rodon has been offered a new contract? Pretty average for us and my SCFC season ticket holder mate say he has been outstanding all season for them!!
Ben3
Agree about Barnett but he doesn’t look fit - if he is fit then he’s not very mobile!!!
CTFC03
Barnett has done fine overall and we need to keep him here beyond January but we definitely miss a Danny Wright type of striker, the thing is with Wright I don't think he was quite good enough for FL but when he came off the bench you feel he can do something whether that be score or chasing down defenders and making an impact in his own way.

I thought Brian Graham had a good spell last season at the time when we had a few positive results, believe it was around October when we beat Mansfield at home and Chesterfield away and him and Eisa looked good together but he had his injuries and came back and was not good at all and I felt he got worse towards the end of the season, I think it was right to let him go but yet again we didn't have a back up plan or 10 and that's why we're in the bottom two.
Benctfc
The issue was not getting rid of Wright who was fantastic for this club and always gave 100% but didn't have the quality for the FL it was not replacing him with another like for like target man. We were very naive if we thought that would be Duku as its very rare you find that style of player in the lower leagues. You may find an Eisa poacher type player but not anyone physically ready for the football league.