Ebbsfleet United v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/EbbsfleetAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
No shots on goal from Chelt in first half says the BBC.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If we manage to see the draw out, I hope those who bother with the replay get a bit more entertainment.
Ihearye
there was me hoping it was extra time or penalties
Alf
According to the radio commentary, they felt that the players were doing their best but quality wise, it just wasn’t good enough and comments from the opposition supporters were generally that we were a ‘poor side’. If it is the case that players are giving 100% but are just not good enough then we have a problem.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:According to the radio commentary, they felt that the players were doing their best but quality wise, it just wasn’t good enough and comments from the opposition supporters were generally that we were a ‘poor side’. If it is the case that players are giving 100% but are just not good enough then we have a problem.
Giving 100% is different from operating at 100% quality.

The players we have are better than Ebbsfleet.

So, if giving 100% effort they have either been asked, or have chosen, to spend this effort doing the wrong thing.

Currently not operating to the sum of their parts, let alone exceeding it.
Alf
I am only going by the comments made on the broadcast one of which was 'if you had turned up to watch the game and didn't know which side was which you would have a job picking which was the league 2 side'.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:I am only going by the comments made on the broadcast one of which was 'if you had turned up to watch the game and didn't know which side was which you would have a job picking which was the league 2 side'.
And that’s the problem - the individual players are League quality but as a team they are not showing that. It is either the players’ fault or the manager’s fault.
Alf
I'm not sure the individual players are league quality but football is all about opinion and only time will tell.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:I'm not sure the individual players are league quality but football is all about opinion and only time will tell.
Most of the fiirst eleven is obviously League quality

Flinders - see last season
Long - see last season at Lincoln
Mullins - see last season at Luton
Boyle - see last season
Forster - as good as Mullins and Boyle at CB
Hussey - see last season at Exeter
Tozer - see last season at Newport
Clements - see last season at FGR and others but debatable imo
Maddox - jury out but shows quality in places
Broom - unknown still but debatable imo
Varney - nothing to add as his record speaks for itself
Barnett - experienced League player

And look at others in the squad:
Alcock - League experience
Dawson - years of League experience including promotions
Nige - debatable if League quality
Jones / Thomas - debatable but shown in glimpses
Mooney - raw and unknown
Addai - raw and inexperienced but has pace and directness to cause trouble
McAlinden - League experience but probably it League standard
Alf
You should get out more.
SHANDY VOR
I'd rather he stayed in actually :)
Alf
This actually proves nothing with regard to competence. It would be more impressive if their previous clubs had fought tooth and nail to hang on to them rather than let them go!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We’ll turn this Ebbsfleet mob over 4-0 in the replay.
Robin
Alf wrote:I'm not sure the individual players are league quality but football is all about opinion and only time will tell.
There is plenty of evidence to the contrary as most of the squad have plenty of league experience and promotions too. This is why I question whether Duff is getting the best out of them, although granted we need obvious recruitment in the midfield.