FA Cup second round draw

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Accrington Stanley away if replay against Ebbsfleet is won...

http://bit.ly/FAC2Rd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fuller
What a fantastic draw......

Not.
Jerry St Clair
That draw couldn't have been worse. Away at a good team in the league above. No likelihood of TV, guarantee of a small crowd so little income and it'll be a surefire exit before a potentially money-spinning third round tie.
andgarod
I have complete faith
0-0
replay
0-0
extra time
0-0
penalties
0-5
Malabus
A frikking shocking draw....this season so-far has been the worst ever.
Artemis
Oh come on, about time we won up there.
And the worst ever? Really, how about Southern League Midland division obscurity.
vickeryc
Artemis wrote:Oh come on, about time we won up there.
And the worst ever? Really, how about Southern League Midland division obscurity.
It is a terrible tie, but in fact our record at Accrington is very good. Although we lost on our first visit to the Crown Ground, we've been undefeated in the last 7 matches, winning 3 and drawing 4. Hope springs eternal!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:
Artemis wrote:Oh come on, about time we won up there.
It is a terrible tie, but in fact our record at Accrington is very good. Although we lost on our first visit to the Crown Ground, we've been undefeated in the last 7 matches, winning 3 and drawing 4. Hope springs eternal!
We can turn the Accies over. Doing so would be a turning point in the season.

Assuming we don’t turn in the wrong direction with an unthinkable home failure vs Ebbsfleet.
Ben3
Great draw, giving us the chance to test our mettle against the seventh best team we could have drawn.

A shot to nothing. Win and the lads return conquering heroes (open bus tour past the newly opened John Lewis a MUST) - lose and we concentrate on the league.

If (I’m not convinced we will!) we beat ebbsfleet I reckon we’ll draw up there, Johnson’s wonder-signings finally being allowed to play against the calibre of opposition they have been craving
everyman
Jon Palmer wrote:Accrington Stanley away if replay against Ebbsfleet is won...

http://bit.ly/FAC2Rd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This draw reminds me of when we drew Altincham away in the F.A.T.Without a goalkeeper and little hope of a result.Ended up winning with Dave Lewis (The Flying Pig) in goal,maybe we will play our current leading scorer in goal again.Boyle,Broom,Thomas,or Varney ? On second thoughts let`s concentrate on the league survival ?
Artemis
I wouldn't worry, we'll lose the replay. We all know it.
Shade
I remember us beating Tranmere away in the cup when they were doing well in League 1. Anything is possible. Apparently.
Fuller
Shade wrote:I remember us beating Tranmere away in the cup when they were doing well in League 1. Anything is possible. Apparently.
Yes we did, but we had a GOOD team back then .......
Si Robin
We beat Swindon 5-0 in the Cup in the year we got relegated, albeit at home. They finished 4th in League 1 that year.

Anything can happen in 90 mins.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Accies will already be looking forward to a third round TV game. All the preparation in the world can’t stop subconscious complacency.

Ebbsfleet and us have both experienced recent turmoil and both clubs would travel to Accrington free of the burden of pressure which hinders league play and will approach the tie with nothing to loose.

With a fully fit back five we can keep a clean sheet at Stanley. It is bottling under expectation vs Ebbsfleet which is more my concern. Duff simply has to find a way to get the players attacking freely without looking like frightened rabbits whenever the ball comes to them in the opponent’s half.

Failure is not an option. Duff will need to turn league form around quickly to keep my support if we lose to Ebbsfleet, even if I do think he has to stay until next year no matter what.
Shade
I see it more as a lack of consistency than bottling under pressure. We're good/ok for one game, and then very poor the next.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:We can turn the Accies over.
Like we turned over Ebbsfleet, a struggling national League side, in which we had zero shots on target.

We are not good enough.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:We can turn the Accies over.
Like we turned over Ebbsfleet, a struggling national League side, in which we had zero shots on target.

We are not good enough.
They were up for it and we lack the confidence when favourites and having to make the running.

Role reversal vs Stanley.

Confidence and pressure has a huge impact. Our players are capable of passing forward. Players like Maddox are capable of taking on players all match long. It is confidence and pressure causing simple mistakes and fear of attacking.

Freedom to express at Accrington would avoid such issues.

The Ebbsfleet replay on the other hand will be a dire and tense affair.