Kewell Gone

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Si Robin
Fuller
Just before we play them this Saturday too.

Whose next ?

Nah, stick with Duffo.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Prudent timing. They know that a win against us leaves us adrift and goes a long way to keeping them up. Even if they beat us and don’t win another game in 2018 it is job done unless we turn results around big time.
Si Robin
Neal Ardley is the likely man in there according to some Notts fans on another forum I frequent.
Shade
WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP SACKING/CHANGING MANAGERS BEFORE WE PLAY THEM?! Can't they just stay s#!t until after we've had a go?

Another manager regretting his decision to move from where he was doing well.
MittonRobin
To be honest if we lose to Nott's County Saturday I don't think Duff will be too far behind. Fans are beginning to get annoyed again.
Robin
Crazy that Kewell has gone considering where they were when he came in and he has a better record than Duff (albeit with better resources/greater expectation). Duff is safe for now - I have the feel he will get to January but he needs 2 or 3 wins to happen before that otherwise he may also leave.
vickeryc
MittonRobin wrote:To be honest if we lose to Nott's County Saturday I don't think Duff will be too far behind. Fans are beginning to get annoyed again.
It sounds like you might be suggesting that 'annoyed' fans could dictate club policy (again). You could be proved right -as happened with the dismissals of Yates and Johnson! It's bizarre how a minority of disgruntled, mouthy, fans can influence such things and it's mega-concerning how destructive the consequences can be.
Shade
Nah, I think Duff's got until January unless we start getting hammered in consecutive games.
MittonRobin
vickeryc wrote:
MittonRobin wrote:To be honest if we lose to Nott's County Saturday I don't think Duff will be too far behind. Fans are beginning to get annoyed again.
It sounds like you might be suggesting that 'annoyed' fans could dictate club policy (again). You could be proved right -as happened with the dismissals of Yates and Johnson! It's bizarre how a minority of disgruntled, mouthy, fans can influence such things and it's mega-concerning how destructive the consequences can be.
Sorry but as a season ticket holder of 15 years or so, the current quality on show is the worst I have seen in that time. I wanted Johnson gone 100% and I personally thought that Duff would be a mile out of his depth and I still believe that. We go down this year and we wont come back. I don't think the board can risk that happening.
Robin
Shade wrote:Nah, I think Duff's got until January unless we start getting hammered in consecutive games.
I tend to agree but we have yet to win in what eleven first team games in charge? That's a shocking record and Kewell did better only to get sacked. No doubt in my mind that the players are behind Duff but equally I feel we should be doing better than we are with this group, it's not a relegation squad in my eyes so something isn't quite right. Of those eleven matches we've had two games where we looked decent and should have won (FGR and Mansfield) only to get caught by a sucker punch. Equally we've had some really poor games like MK Dons, Stevenage, Oldham and Ebbsfleet. Do we look to make a change in the coaching staff perhaps? I would hope that we don't go crazy in January either only adding 3-4 players of quality that come in and improve the first eleven, move on Baldwin, Jones, Clements and perhaps Mooney to enable that.
Lord Elpuz
:evil:
MittonRobin wrote:
vickeryc wrote:
Sorry but as a season ticket holder of 15 years or so, the current quality on show is the worst I have seen in that time. I wanted Johnson gone 100% and I personally thought that Duff would be a mile out of his depth and I still believe that. We go down this year and we wont come back. I don't think the board can risk that happening.
The Board will not be able to do anything about it. We can’t keep sacking managers for the sake of it, in the hope that another roll of the dice will restore our ‘fortunes’. We cannot afford to replace the squad, and it’s massively debatable we’d get better quality players on the wages we could pay (& potential recruits don’t like coming to a struggling team either - also, wealthier clubs will grab all the better players anyway) and paying off the manager and shifting out players to try and replace them will bankrupt the club. We have to hope upon hope that Duff can turn things around, otherwise we are stuffed. We may be able to bring in one or two new recruits in January to try and tweak a better and more consistent performance from the squad, but that’s about all we can hope for and as already stated, will sufficient quality players want to sign for a struggling side, when they could go elsewhere? Other threads have discussed “where the Eisa money went” so no point digging all that up again. People need to get real and we need to back Duff and the squad, and remain at least hopeful we can salvage something, otherwise it will turn ugly like it did in 2014/15.
Shade
MittonRobin wrote:
vickeryc wrote:
I've been attending regularly for about 15 years and although the quality has been poor, at least I can see effort and willing. The season we went down, I was much more angry as the talent was there but so many seemingly couldn't be bothered to produce it. I'd rather this than that, as quality can still hopefully be added. Unless we do start getting hammered or lose 4 or 5 in a row, I can't see Duff being replaced before he gets that chance to bring quality in.
paperboy
..Absent Andy hasn't given him a vote of confidence yet. :-)
andgarod
According to the program Downes is 1st team coach
I thought he was Head of Academy

Get in a quality coach
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:..Absent Andy hasn't given him a vote of confidence yet. :-)
Give it three 1-0 defeats, one where we miss a late penalty and one where we run the opposition ragged for most of the first half, and it will surely come.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
“Notts County beat Doncaster 4-2 to advance to the second round of the Checkatrade Trophy a day after sacking Harry Kewell as manager.

Victory against the League One side was Notts' first of the tournament this season and lifted them to second in Northern Group G.

The results also ended the League Two strugglers' seven-match winless run.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46215861" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Yup. Dennis hat-trick. Bound to score on Saturday as we fall to defeat at a resurgent Notts.
kora
Lots of rumours that Kevin Nolan is to be the "new" manager; spend lots of money getting rid of a manager, spend lots getting in a new one , spend lots more getting rid of him a few days later and even more bringing back the original one Strange way to run a business.
Shade
Strange club.
bigdavejambo
Sir Martin Allen now favourite. https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-s ... t/23114620" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If Mad Dog takes the County Job that is safety guaranteed.

Grimsby are the team to catch ASAP.
Sprout Picker
Another manager they've previously sacked. What a strange club.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ardley set to take command: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46265698" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Ardley did a slow and steady job at Wimbledon, I would expect him to keep Notts County up. Cambridge for me are the ones that could slip, Morecambe will always battle but have a decent manager in Bentley. I'd absolutely love for Swindle to go but doubt that will happen.
vickeryc
Swindle are in a real mess. It's still early doors though and much will obviously change between now and season's end. Teams that currently look safe - like Yeovil, Port Vale and even Crewe - could get dragged into the dogfight. In past seasons, teams like York have fallen from playoff contention through the trapdoor.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:Swindle are in a real mess. It's still early doors though and much will obviously change between now and season's end. Teams that currently look safe - like Yeovil, Port Vale and even Crewe - could get dragged into the dogfight. In past seasons, teams like York have fallen from playoff contention through the trapdoor.
We ourselves went from fourth place on Boxing Day to almost relegation in Yates’s first full season.

I would say everyone up to 10th place could be at risk. 13 points from 10th to 23rd. A bad ten or 15 game run and any side in that group will find themselves in real trouble.

That should also be our target. If we can extend our unbeaten run for another ten games and win the majority of those - which we should be capable of doing - we will be threatening top half.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:If Mad Dog takes the County Job that is safety guaranteed.

Cambridge.....they look more doomed than us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:If Mad Dog takes the County Job that is safety guaranteed.

Cambridge.....they look more doomed than us.
One of several teams we should be confident of catching and pulling away from during the coming months.
Robin
One step at a time, let's concentrate on moving away from the trap door first and foremost, we are underachieving and almost half way through the season, if we finish above 18th I'll be surprised now.