Cheltenham Town v Coventry City

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this evening: http://bit.ly/CoventryTrophy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Anyone know if the game is on the radio tonight?
Johnsons Red Army
Robin wrote:Anyone know if the game is on the radio tonight?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl7n" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CTFC v Coventry City commentary is on DAB. Jon Smith evening show is on FM, AM, Freeview and online
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Half way there. Keep going lads.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yes Boyle!!

488 in the away end - a nice to boost to the attendance of 1,296.

Keep it tight and see it out!!
Alf
Probably Mike Duff’s best 90 minutes since he took over. We need to retain this confidence for Notts County on Saturday.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Great to hear Alf.

Home draw guaranteed in the next round against a runner up from a southern group. Money in the bank. Spurs U21 will be another good attendance (eg Arsenal attendance was about 200 more than tonight).

Sounds like Thomas added more drive than Clements offers. And Mooney up front adds more pace than Varney?
Robin
It's essentially a reserve competition so I can't really get excited but happy enough we won and agree Spurs at home in the next round would be nice and semi-interesting.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:It's essentially a reserve competition so I can't really get excited but happy enough we won and agree Spurs at home in the next round would be nice and semi-interesting.
Take it you won’t bother going to Wembley if we get there then?

Let’s win the Trophy. He won the FA Trophy as a player and I would love it if he won the EFL Trophy as manager.
Lord Elpuz
A most impressive display this evening from our CTFC side, quickly got into their stride and never really looked in any trouble. It was a high tempo/energetic game, we pressed hard whenever we lost possession and there was more of a game plan than I have seen in other games this season. Those who don’t rate Boyle need to re-evaluate as he was commanding at the back along with Mullins, and young Master Boyle got us another goal - he’s flourishing. Maddox’s goal was a real sizzler too. It was interesting listening to Mr Duff in the technical area, he’s very clearly in full control of his team and I definitely got the feeling the tide may be beginning to turn in his favour in terms of the way he wants his squad to perform. I’m glad I went, I enjoyed it. I believe we have the potential to surprise a few teams, especially if they underestimate us, and we are now 4 games unbeaten. I feel a lot more optimistic now than at any time this season.
Shade
We looked good but let's not be under any illusions; Coventry were woeful.

Mooney again added nothing other than some running around. Broom rightfully MotM. Nige wasteful in possession many times once again, so often puts the ball into an area instead of looking for a man, which is so frustrating because he's shown hr can be a really good passer. Everyone else did fine.
paperboy
Shade wrote:We looked good but let's not be under any illusions; Coventry were woeful.

Mooney again added nothing other than some running around. Broom rightfully MotM. Nige wasteful in possession many times once again, so often puts the ball into an area instead of looking for a man, which is so frustrating because he's shown hr can be a really good passer. Everyone else did fine.
Agree.
Nige is our best ball- winner in the middle of the park,but needs to be told to pass the ball no further than 10 yards and preferably to a team-mate.
Coventry had a lot of youngsters on the pitch and didn't bother using Luke Thomas at any point which showed that they only viewed the match as a development exercise.

Still, another clean sheet and a win is something- if only we had some forwards who look like scoring.
andgarod
Lord Elpuz wrote:A most impressive display this evening from our CTFC side, quickly got into their stride and never really looked in any trouble. It was a high tempo/energetic game, we pressed hard whenever we lost possession and there was more of a game plan than I have seen in other games this season. Those who don’t rate Boyle need to re-evaluate as he was commanding at the back along with Mullins, and young Master Boyle got us another goal - he’s flourishing. Maddox’s goal was a real sizzler too. It was interesting listening to Mr Duff in the technical area, he’s very clearly in full control of his team and I definitely got the feeling the tide may be beginning to turn in his favour in terms of the way he wants his squad to perform. I’m glad I went, I enjoyed it. I believe we have the potential to surprise a few teams, especially if they underestimate us, and we are now 4 games unbeaten. I feel a lot more optimistic now than at any time this season.
Hmm didnt see Mullins do much especially as he wasnt playing or was I watching a game in a parallel universe :lol:
MittonRobin
Shade wrote:We looked good but let's not be under any illusions; Coventry were woeful.

Totally Agree. If there was ever an example of a team that did not want to win, then last night was it. Coventry were totally uninterested. Don't get too carried away with this result. Lets see what happens Saturday
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

Re Mooney, sometimes we just need someone to run around and give the opposition something to think about - more useful than the walking football / statuesque attacking we have seen at times in last few games.
Alf
Typical comments from some quarters. A win is a win. Usually teams look woeful because they are made to look woeful. It is a huge step forward for the teams progress and confidence. I’m not getting carried away, Saturday will be a bigger test but we looked like a half decent football team last night. Let’s take it and move on.
Red dog
Alf wrote:Typical comments from some quarters. A win is a win. Usually teams look woeful because they are made to look woeful. It is a huge step forward for the teams progress and confidence. I’m not getting carried away, Saturday will be a bigger test but we looked like a half decent football team last night. Let’s take it and move on.
Equally a team can be made to look good which is what happened last night , yes it was a most enjoyable performance and there were a few individuals that did well and you can only play what’s put in front of you but Cov were like a non league school boy outfit and offered no competition. It was a good team building event for us as said a win is a win .
Fuller
It should be pointed out that the Coventry side was full of teenagers, at one point they had six players aged 17 & 18 years old on the pitch. I didn't recognise anyone from the Coventry team that beat us 6-1 at Whaddon Road six months ago.

Looking at some of the comments on the Sky Blues forum the supporters who made the trip were not happy coming all the way to Cheltenham to see such a weak side put out.

Anyway £10k in the bank and a home tie in the next round.

And I thought Maddox & Broom were excellent, we missed Maddox when he went off. I think he has a bright future in the game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:It should be pointed out that the Coventry side was full of teenagers, at one point they had six players aged 17 & 18 years old on the pitch. I didn't recognise anyone from the Coventry team that beat us 6-1 at Whaddon Road six months ago.

Looking at some of the comments on the Sky Blues forum the supporters who made the trip were not happy coming all the way to Cheltenham to see such a weak side put out.

And I thought Maddox & Broom were excellent, we missed Maddox when he went off. I think he has a bright future in the game.
Duff needs to give Maddox the freedom of Meadow Lane. No more walking football and sideways passes or hoofs up front to the slow old men - get it to Maddox and let him incessantly run at the County defence.
Nesty
great to hear positive vibes. re Coventry side, arent there rules regarding how many changes a team makes for these cup games??.
Red Duke
Does anyone know when the draw is made for the next round?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote:Does anyone know when the draw is made for the next round?
From 1pm on Friday 16th, live on TalkSport2

https://www.efl.com/news/2018/november/ ... -two-draw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben3
Great news, it sounds like johnsons’s wonder-signings gave the sky blues a right going over
kiaora84
Fuller wrote:It should be pointed out that the Coventry side was full of teenagers, at one point they had six players aged 17 & 18 years old on the pitch. I didn't recognise anyone from the Coventry team that beat us 6-1 at Whaddon Road six months ago.

Bayliss, Shipley and Grimmer all tore us apart in the 6-1 game. Not sure how you failed to recognise them. Both Grimmer and Bayliss linked to premier clubs on a regular badis
Shade
Agree about Maddox. Said to my mate last night that we need Maddox and Broom to be close-ish together on the pitch as they're the only two with a proper understanding and the ability to pass and play their way through a defence.
Lord Elpuz
andgarod wrote:
Hmm didnt see Mullins do much especially as he wasnt playing or was I watching a game in a parallel universe :lol:
Oops, my bad; well spotted andgarod. I meant Tozer - who didn’t have a bad game either, but came in for some stick from Duff for a couple of wayward/safety first clearances. Duff demanding of him to play the ball and not just hoof it anywhere.