THE MIGHTY ATOM

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ladyrobin
Our nickname for Alex Addai.
He isjust like the Duracell Bunny.
He is so enthusiastic and tonight it really paid off.
Magic.
andgarod
Spenser on speed
one of Garrys signings
Shade
This is why I was hoping we didn't ship him out. Glad he refused to go out on loan. Speed is always a threat to any defence. Should have been man of the match, really. We'd still not have had a shot on target if it wasn't for him. He even found Varney with the header that lead to him scoring the second! Scored on, set one up and pretty much got a man sent off and another booked for bringing him down. I assume the second ywllow for the player that got sent off was for something he said?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Speed critical at this level, and lack of it has been why we have struggled to attack effectively so many times this season. Glad to hear Addai terrorised Ebbsfleet the same way he did Carlisle alongside Kalala.
Lord Elpuz
Alex Addai was sent on at the optimum moment, just as Ebbsfleet were tiring, and they could not cope with his raw pace. He deserved his goal.

Nice to see Tyrone get another goal too.

First half was a bit frustrating, but the victory reminded me of Gary’s strategy when CTFC were in the Vanarama: stay in the game, and then pick the opposition off in the last 12 minutes when they get tired. Worked a treat.

Nice to hear the young pretenders down the road got thumped, as well.
vickeryc
AA has always impressed me when I've seen him and it's surprising he hasn't been used more. So much raw energy and speed, which we don't have in abundance - especially with the (hopefully temporary) departure of Messrs Kalala and Duku. Alex has proved again that he's a great impact sub having turned the game tonight within a minute of coming on, setting up the first goal.
Benctfc
I don't think he is ready to start games just yet but he is a handy option to have off the bench to use against tired opposition.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Duff spoke a lot about Addai the post myself match interview.
Si Robin
vickeryc wrote:AA has always impressed me when I've seen him and it's surprising he hasn't been used more. So much raw energy and speed, which we don't have in abundance - especially with the (hopefully temporary) departure of Messrs Kalala and Duku. Alex has proved again that he's a great impact sub having turned the game tonight within a minute of coming on, setting up the first goal.
Kalala won't be coming back - he was released.

Duku was apparently at the game last night so hopefully is still in Duffo's plans.
vickeryc
Si Robin wrote:
vickeryc wrote:AA has always impressed me when I've seen him and it's surprising he hasn't been used more. So much raw energy and speed, which we don't have in abundance - especially with the (hopefully temporary) departure of Messrs Kalala and Duku. Alex has proved again that he's a great impact sub having turned the game tonight within a minute of coming on, setting up the first goal.

Duku was apparently at the game last night so hopefully is still in Duffo's plans.
Thanks - I wondered about Kalala. We obviously had a bloated squad and some had to go, though I was disappointed it was him as he appeared to have talent in abundance.

I'm hopeful that Duku will return as I sense we have a lot more to see from him.
Robin
How did he not get man of the match yesterday? People like to criticse GJ's recruitment but I do feel there is raw potential in there and he could be a great asset coming off the bench in league two. That said, whilst he was fantastic the opposition were woeful last night and we won't come up against sides of that quality in the football league.
Robin
Lord Elpuz wrote:Alex Addai was sent on at the optimum moment, just as Ebbsfleet were tiring, and they could not cope with his raw pace. He deserved his goal.

First half was a bit frustrating, but the victory reminded me of Gary’s strategy when CTFC were in the Vanarama: stay in the game, and then pick the opposition off in the last 12 minutes when they get tired. Worked a treat.

My thoughts as follows:
- Ebbsfleet were woeful but we played well versus most performances this season.
- We looked at least one level above them in the first half, playing with pace, moving the ball quickly possibly the best I've seen us (although recognising the low quality opposition). Every player was pressing and working hard, we looked like a cohesive unit.
- For all our dominance we landed only one shot on target in the entire first half.
- Despite Ebbsfleet playing virtually the entire first half in their defensive first they also caught us on the counter attack.
- Second half we were not quite at it and the game was more even (with few chances) until Addei came on and made a major difference.
- Despite doing OK netiher Thomas or Clements look good enough to be anything more than squad players.
- Couldn't believe we were holding it in the corner at 1-0 against very poor opposition.
- 2-0 overall was a fair reflection on a game where we were comfortable from start to finish the odd penalty box melee apart.
- A number of the Ebbsfleet players need to go on a diet, I know they are part time but they sure carried some timber.
Robin
Si Robin wrote:

I hope so because Duku would have done well last night I feel. I'm glad he's doing well down at Barnet and hope it's giving him the experience to jump to football league standard. I'm not convinced he's ready to be in starting eleven week in week out but I'd rather have him as third choice rather than Sam Jones.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
Lord Elpuz wrote:Alex Addai was sent on at the optimum moment, just as Ebbsfleet were tiring, and they could not cope with his raw pace. He deserved his goal.

My thoughts as follows:
- Ebbsfleet were woeful but we played well versus most performances this season.
- We looked at least one level above them in the first half, playing with pace, moving the ball quickly possibly the best I've seen us (although recognising the low quality opposition). Every player was pressing and working hard, we looked like a cohesive unit.
- For all our dominance we landed only one shot on target in the entire first half.
- Despite Ebbsfleet playing virtually the entire first half in their defensive first they also caught us on the counter attack.
- Second half we were not quite at it and the game was more even (with few chances) until Addei came on and made a major difference.
- Despite doing OK netiher Thomas or Clements look good enough to be anything more than squad players.
- Couldn't believe we were holding it in the corner at 1-0 against very poor opposition.
- 2-0 overall was a fair reflection on a game where we were comfortable from start to finish the odd penalty box melee apart.
- A number of the Ebbsfleet players need to go on a diet, I know they are part time but they sure carried some timber.
I would say Thomas and Clements shouldn’t play together. With a nippy wizard like Maddox or an energetic terrier like Dawson then playing one of them to control the ball and pass it works well, but combined it is too restricting to our game and too slow. Thomas over Clements would be my choice.
Robin
I would release Clements in January, need to bring an experienced lower league midielder who can control the pace of a game, add that to Maddox and Nige and I think we'll be fine. We can keep Dawson and Thomas as cover/competition. It's all pretty damning of Tom Smith when he can't get in this midfield despite being given a two year deal too.
Red&WhiteArmy
Robin wrote:I would release Clements in January, need to bring an experienced lower league midielder who can control the pace of a game, add that to Maddox and Nige and I think we'll be fine. We can keep Dawson and Thomas as cover/competition. It's all pretty damning of Tom Smith when he can't get in this midfield despite being given a two year deal too.
Is Tom Smith still at the club even??
Si Robin
He's on loan at Bath
Robin
Yes five players out on loan four youngsters (Bower, Lloyd, Debayo and Smith) plus Duku.
Shade
It felt like we didn't really get out of 3rd gear until Addai came on. It felt very much like nobody was giving it everything. I've also seen worse sides come to WR in the League this season. Love Addai's enthusiasm when we score. Remember him earlier in the season when we scored against someone and he was off on his own to the fans humping twice his height and fist pumping.

Danny Kedwell's eaten a few pies, hasn't he...
Sprout Picker
Shade wrote:It felt like we didn't really get out of 3rd gear until Addai came on. It felt very much like nobody was giving it everything. I've also seen worse sides come to WR in the League this season. Love Addai's enthusiasm when we score. Remember him earlier in the season when we scored against someone and he was off on his own to the fans humping twice his height and fist pumping.

:shock: :lol:
Robin
Shade wrote:It felt like we didn't really get out of 3rd gear until Addai came on. It felt very much like nobody was giving it everything. I've also seen worse sides come to WR in the League this season. Love Addai's enthusiasm when we score. Remember him earlier in the season when we scored against someone and he was off on his own to the fans humping twice his height and fist pumping.

Out of interest Shade which sides have you seen worse than Ebbsfleet? I honestly thought they were terrible yesterday and it showed a big gulf in class between mid-table conference and bottom third of league two.
vickeryc
Maybe not worse, but I'd say the following (excluding ourselves!) were comparable: Crewe; Morecambe, Carlisle and Notts County. Although we beat Northampton and Cambridge, I didn't see those games so couldn't comment. Although Colchester beat us by a flattering scoreline, they didn't impress me that much either - other than their ability to con the ref.
Shade
Morecambe I thought were definitely worse but our defence was attrocious on the night to allow them to score two goals. Cranston scored one of them which shows how bad we were. I'd agree with vickery that Crewe and Carlisle also looked worse, but we were worse at the time.
Shade
Sprout Picker wrote:

:shock: :lol:
:oops: whoops :lol:
Si Robin
Shade wrote:Morecambe I thought were definitely worse but our defence was attrocious on the night to allow them to score two goals. Cranston scored one of them which shows how bad we were. I'd agree with vickery that Crewe and Carlisle also looked worse, but we were worse at the time.
Two senior goals in his career, both against us :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another A-Bomb strike tonight!

The Mighty Atom does it again!
horlickfanclub
A positive force.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:A positive force.
Neutral surely!
Artemis
True, else he'd be the mighty ion. Now that might catch on....then again...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:True, else he'd be the mighty ion. Now that might catch on....then again...
Addaion after electrolysing the opposition and discharging his goals!
Shade
I think you're on to something here, guys.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:I think you're on to something here, guys.
Chemistry based nicknames are winner.