Cheltenham 2-1 Newport

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

cheltsaxon
All the moaners and Gary Johnson lovers gone into hiding?? Yesterday was the best I have seen Cheltenham play in a very very long time, back to front not one player let themselves down, Flinders had nothing to do all game , Tozer is a revelation at cb genius move by Duff, Atangana spraying 40 yard passes about, Broom flying down the wing Hussey too, the front men winning everything in the air and mopping up the second balls what a joy to behold. Baker and Cotterill in the stands loving it just as much as us we're back Up the Robins!!!!
Nesty
listening to the Radio it was a very good performance, but could so easily have gone away from us had the penalty not been missed, mind you it looked a harsh decision on the highlights. Credit MD for turning it around and making a silk purse
asl
cheltsaxon wrote:Flinders had nothing to do all game
According to the BBC text commentary, he got himself a yellow card in the 71st minute. Was that for time-wasting? In the 71st minute????
Nesty
time wasting and pushed his luck a bit after that
Sprout Picker
asl wrote:
According to the BBC text commentary, he got himself a yellow card in the 71st minute. Was that for time-wasting? In the 71st minute????
That was a bit harsh from the ref made worse by the official attempting to kick the ball to Flinders and making such a hash of it that he wasted more time than any of the players had.

Ref seemed to spend a large part of the second half trying to do his best to help Newport back into the game.

Flinders made an excellent first half save from a downward header and a few routine stops in the second half. Well taken goal by the Newport lad.
Nesty
Sprout Picker wrote:
asl wrote:
That was a bit harsh from the ref made worse by the official attempting to kick the ball to Flinders and making such a hash of it that he wasted more time than any of the players had.

Ref seemed to spend a large part of the second half trying to do his best to help Newport back into the game.

Flinders made an excellent first half save from a downward header and a few routine stops in the second half. Well taken goal by the Newport lad.
its surprising the effect of a brown paper envelope stuffed under the refs changing room door has !!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
cheltsaxon wrote:All the moaners and Gary Johnson lovers gone into hiding?? Yesterday was the best I have seen Cheltenham play in a very very long time, back to front not one player let themselves down, Flinders had nothing to do all game , Tozer is a revelation at cb genius move by Duff, Atangana spraying 40 yard passes about, Broom flying down the wing Hussey too, the front men winning everything in the air and mopping up the second balls what a joy to behold. Baker and Cotterill in the stands loving it just as much as us we're back Up the Robins!!!!
Not hiding at all. Great to see Broom, Hussey, Tozer and all the other summer signings I said were decent, but which people were writing off as ‘awful recruitment’ by Johnson, doing well.

As I have previously stated and explained my views on, I believe the squad assembled during the summer is the strongest for five years. People laughed but we are now seeing the individual quality translate in to team quality under the new manager, finally after an awful run of games.

Shame it has taken this long for them to gel and get up to speed, and of course Duff must must take credit for that. And he must be praised for the learning he has gone through too - he now seems more confident and assured, no chopping and changing each week or looking lost.

Good to hear the game yesterday matched the Carlisle first half in terms of speed and attacking. Long may it continue!
Robin
People keep harking back to GJ's poor summer recruitment but it was largely his team and arguably without our two best players (Mullins/Maddox) who are both GJ signings too. Duff deserves immense credit yesterday also but shows just how much we've underachieved so far this season and what I said back in the summer there is a nucleas of a decent team here we just lack in a few key positions.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
cheltsaxon wrote:All the moaners and Gary Johnson lovers gone into hiding?? Yesterday was the best I have seen Cheltenham play in a very very long time, back to front not one player let themselves down, Flinders had nothing to do all game , Tozer is a revelation at cb genius move by Duff, Atangana spraying 40 yard passes about, Broom flying down the wing Hussey too, the front men winning everything in the air and mopping up the second balls what a joy to behold. Baker and Cotterill in the stands loving it just as much as us we're back Up the Robins!!!!
Not hiding at all. Great to see Broom, Hussey, Tozer and all the other summer signings I said were decent, but which people were writing off as ‘awful recruitment’ by Johnson, doing well.

As I have previously stated and explained my views on, I believe the squad assembled during the summer is the strongest for five years. People laughed but we are now seeing the individual quality translate in to team quality under the new manager, finally after an awful run of games.

Shame it has taken this long for them to gel and get up to speed, and of course Duff must must take credit for that. And he must be praised for the learning he has gone through too - he now seems more confident and assured, no chopping and changing each week or looking lost.

Good to hear the game yesterday matched the Carlisle first half in terms of speed and attacking. Long may it continue!
Do you mean the Carlisle second half? Don't recall the first period being that great.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote:

Do you mean the Carlisle second half? Don't recall the first period being that great.
Nope, I mean the first half when we were shooting towards the away fans. Kalala and Addai ran them ragged. I said at the time it was the best fast attacking play since the Mo and McG heyday under Yates.

Second half was much more stale, and of course we conceded too.
Sprout Picker
Sprout Picker wrote:

Nope, I mean the first half when we were shooting towards the away fans. Kalala and Addai ran them ragged. I said at the time it was the best fast attacking play since the Mo and McG heyday under Yates.

Second half was much more stale, and of course we conceded too.
We conceded the goal in the first half.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ah yes, late on in the first half after we started to peter out.

Debayo’s awesome cross in the the first half spell as well.
vickeryc
Robin wrote:People keep harking back to GJ's poor summer recruitment but it was largely his team and arguably without our two best players (Mullins/Maddox) who are both GJ signings too. Duff deserves immense credit yesterday also but shows just how much we've underachieved so far this season and what I said back in the summer there is a nucleas of a decent team here we just lack in a few key positions.
Spot-on and balanced assessment. Unlike Cheltsaxon's blinkered post, which needlessly aimed the boot at Gary Johnson - even though it was essentially the team he put together that performed so well yesterday!
horlickfanclub
Varney,Clements and Barnett are nothing to do with Gary Johnson. Forster and Tozer playing as round pegs and Thomas actually playing is also different from Gary Johnsons later selections. More than half the side changed and playing in a balanced set up is not Gary Johnsons team.
Del Boy
Of course the majority of the team is going to be made up of players signed by Johnson - he was the one in charge when the transfer window was open. It says a lot that our two strikers were not signed by Johnson despite him letting all our forwards leave in the summer without adequate replacements.

Duff is going to need a long time to sort it all out but, in my opinion, has made an excellent start. The players at last seem to understand the plan he has for them rather than the rubbish served up in the last two years.

We've won our last four games, unbeaten in seven and have just beaten a side in the top three at home. Yet some still want to give the credit to Johnson. Yep, that's the man who averaged a point a game over more than 100 league matches and had one point from his last eight games before getting the boot.

One poster even keeps banging on about the glory days of Johnson when we tore a side apart for about 20 minutes - in a 1-0 defeat.

Personally I think we're in a much better position and have a manager I can believe in - and so it seems can the players.
vickeryc
horlickfanclub wrote:Varney,Clements and Barnett are nothing to do with Gary Johnson. Forster and Tozer playing as round pegs and Thomas actually playing is also different from Gary Johnsons later selections. More than half the side changed and playing in a balanced set up is not Gary Johnsons team.
True, Varney, Clements and Barnett were not signed by Gary Johnson, but eight of Saturday's line-up were. But my main point was that the OP needlessly dredged up rubbish about "all the moaners and Gary Johnson lovers" going into hiding, which is totally pathetic in my opinion.
everyman
Robin wrote:People keep harking back to GJ's poor summer recruitment but it was largely his team and arguably without our two best players (Mullins/Maddox) who are both GJ signings too. Duff deserves immense credit yesterday also but shows just how much we've underachieved so far this season and what I said back in the summer there is a nucleas of a decent team here we just lack in a few key positions.
That`s like saying that Steve Cotterill`s first promotion with us was with a Chris Robinson team,if you are such a fan of G.J. and fail to see how poor we have been for 2 seasons,just enjoy the clubs improvement and stop harking back to his tenure with us,or you could just become a Torquay fan ?
vickeryc
Del Boy wrote:Of course the majority of the team is going to be made up of players signed by Johnson - he was the one in charge when the transfer window was open. It says a lot that our two strikers were not signed by Johnson despite him letting all our forwards leave in the summer without adequate replacements.

Duff is going to need a long time to sort it all out but, in my opinion, has made an excellent start. The players at last seem to understand the plan he has for them rather than the rubbish served up in the last two years.

We've won our last four games, unbeaten in seven and have just beaten a side in the top three at home. Yet some still want to give the credit to Johnson. Yep, that's the man who averaged a point a game over more than 100 league matches and had one point from his last eight games before getting the boot.

One poster even keeps banging on about the glory days of Johnson when we tore a side apart for about 20 minutes - in a 1-0 defeat.

Personally I think we're in a much better position and have a manager I can believe in - and so it seems can the players.
Forgive me if I've erred in thinking this might be aimed at me, but if it is, then it's a distortion. My post was basically suggesting the anti-Johnson brigade should move on and stop lambasting posters who have defended GJ in the past. While I thought GJ's sacking was handled badly and said so at the time, at no point have I criticised Mike Duff when results were going from bad to worse. Any manager's job is difficult enough without people getting on their back. He had inherited a decent squad and it was only a matter of time before the players gelled properly and Mike deserves enormous credit for what he's achieving now. I'm delighted that things are starting to work out but I see no reason for some to use the turnaround in results as sufficient reason to put the boot into our previous manager. It's so unnecessary. Focus on celebrating the present.
vickeryc
everyman wrote:
That`s like saying that Steve Cotterill`s first promotion with us was with a Chris Robinson team,if you are such a fan of G.J. and fail to see how poor we have been for 2 seasons,just enjoy the clubs improvement and stop harking back to his tenure with us,or you could just become a Torquay fan ?
In fairness, Robin gave immense credit to Duff, so at least he has tried to give a balanced view.
Jerry St Clair
When the dust has settled we might have a better idea of GJ's legacy and what went wrong at the end (because it undoubtedly did).

Was he a manager who was primarily from the 'wheeler dealer' school of football management? He'd roll the dice every summer and hope he got lucky with a bunch of good recruits.

Was he deficient in coaching, fitness, man-management and tactical awareness? And was this covered up by good recruitment (in the the title winning season) but horribly exposed when the recruits were not so stellar (the last two seasons)? Is Duff simply better at coaching and is therefore getting the best out of a half decent bunch?
Johnsons Red Army
vickeryc wrote: I'm delighted that things are starting to work out but I see no reason for some to use the turnaround in results as sufficient reason to put the boot into our previous manager. It's so unnecessary. Focus on celebrating the present.
^ This.

He's gone now. Get over it. Move on.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:Of course the majority of the team is going to be made up of players signed by Johnson - he was the one in charge when the transfer window was open. It says a lot that our two strikers were not signed by Johnson despite him letting all our forwards leave in the summer without adequate replacements.

Your eye sight and reading of posts is very selective. You will see I have agreed with you that Duff is finally getting more out the squad. They are fitter and playing better, and he has learnt what works so now has a more consistent selection policy and system.

As always, you seem intent on making this a Johnson vs Duff battle when it is not. My view can be expressed with a series of questions:

1. Did Johnson sign most of the players now doing well? Yes
2. Were performances and results starting to improve under Johnson? Yes
3. Did the signing of Barnett and Varney improve the squad? Yes
4. Did things get worse before getting better under Duff? Yes
5. Should we all be behind Duff as he improves things further? Yes

We have a good squad, and credit must go to all three managers who have signed players who doing well. If Broom passes to Hussey who crosses to Barnett to set-up Varney to score then all three managers’ recruits are combining. And as current manager it is Duff who must be praised for getting them to combine more effectively than before.

So move on, we are on the up and I am looking forward to it now we have got through the turmoil of the transition.
vickeryc
RCS - quite so
Del Boy
vickeryc wrote:

Forgive me if I've erred in thinking this might be aimed at me, but if it is, then it's a distortion. My post was basically suggesting the anti-Johnson brigade should move on and stop lambasting posters who have defended GJ in the past. While I thought GJ's sacking was handled badly and said so at the time, at no point have I criticised Mike Duff when results were going from bad to worse. Any manager's job is difficult enough without people getting on their back. He had inherited a decent squad and it was only a matter of time before the players gelled properly and Mike deserves enormous credit for what he's achieving now. I'm delighted that things are starting to work out but I see no reason for some to use the turnaround in results as sufficient reason to put the boot into our previous manager. It's so unnecessary. Focus on celebrating the present.
It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular but several posters in this thread seem to want to point out the players were signed by Johnson when that's beyond obvious as his his dire league record with us. I've moved on from the previous manager and am finally enjoying it again after two years of rubbish. I'd rather his name wasn't mentioned again but it seems neither some his supporters or his detractors want that to happen. I'm just happy we've got a manager I can be positive about and a future I can be positive about. Hopefully, our former manager's name will not be mentioned again on this site whether that be to say how great he was - or how awful he was.
Nesty

nail hit firmly on head
Shade
Whereas Duff has obviously done a lot of work on fitness and implemented the pressing game and sorting the players heads out after an awful start, I just have to say I'm a annoyed it took us until a few weeks ago to start using the 3-5-2 formation that the squad GJ put together so obviously cried out for. You can see posts on here from myself and a few others back in the summer saying it's obviously a squad built for a 3-5-2, and then it takes until November for us to start using it. Feels like the first few months of the season have been such a waste of time. Anyway, onwards and upwards. Bury away tomorrow night won't be easy, I'll be happy if the unbeaten record is still intact, over the bloody moon if we get another win...surprised we haven't heard from that cretin that always used to pop up before we played them.
asl
Johnsons Red Army wrote:He's gone now. Get over it. Move on.
Says Johnsons Red Army... :)
Johnsons Red Army
Unlike some posters on here, I only have the one account and that is how it will remain (even if the username of the account I use is no longer relevant :D)