Stoz and Wrighty

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Si Robin
Live on BBC2 tonight with Solihull Moors playing Blackpool in the Cup.

Also Darren Carter - with a ponytail.
Horteng
Can’t believe Carters hair lol
paperboy
Horteng wrote:Can’t believe Carters hair lol
Yes, it's the retro look.

Let's hope Stoz isn't too hungry tonight and has a bite to eat on the way home.
longmover
doubt that offside would have been given for blackpool
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:doubt that offside would have been given for blackpool
Unbelievable decision.

Great seeing Wrighty getting stuck in. Hypothetically, would you take Wright for five months in January if we needed a big man to keep us up?
paperboy
longmover wrote:doubt that offside would have been given for blackpool
Cruel decision.
Blackpool unimpressive in first half.
theidlerich
Agree, cruel decision, SM should be 1 up. As for DW same old, same old (or am I being cruel?).
SHANDY VOR
Definite, albeit strange, offside. The ball was 'passed' forward (if only by a very small amount) to a player in an offside position who incidentally then whipped in a goal resulting cross.

Unusual, yes. Wrong decision, no.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:Definite, albeit strange, offside. The ball was 'passed' forward (if only by a very small amount) to a player in an offside position who incidentally then whipped in a goal resulting cross.

If it went forward then yes. I didn’t see the half time analysis, and at the time it looked like the ball was stopped rather than moved forward. I may well be wrong though.
paperboy
theidlerich wrote:Agree, cruel decision, SM should be 1 up. As for DW same old, same old (or am I being cruel?).
No spot on.
Stoz had a strong game.
Well deserved draw.
SHANDY VOR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
SHANDY VOR wrote:Definite, albeit strange, offside. The ball was 'passed' forward (if only by a very small amount) to a player in an offside position who incidentally then whipped in a goal resulting cross.

If it went forward then yes. I didn’t see the half time analysis, and at the time it looked like the ball was stopped rather than moved forward. I may well be wrong though.
Watch on BBC Sports page - they show and slow. Definitely moved forward by a very small amount. But moved forward
leohoenig
It does not matter if the ball is moved forward or not, the law states
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate
So the player was in an offside position when the other player stopped the ball and then ran from that position to play the ball.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:It does not matter if the ball is moved forward or not, the law states
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate
So the player was in an offside position when the other player stopped the ball and then ran from that position to play the ball.
How does that quote you provide account for backwards passes then? I.e when two players run through on goal with no defenders and one squares it backwards to the other it is not offside.

If that is covered in a different clause of the rule then please paste the whole thing and not just a partial element.
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:How does that quote you provide account for backwards passes then? I.e when two players run through on goal with no defenders and one squares it backwards to the other it is not offside.
Eh? He couldn't be offside in that situation because he must have been behind the ball if his team mate "squares it backwards." Last night, Carter was clearly ahead of the ball.
Ben3
I think on the case of two players running through on goal the ball can be played forward or backward and it is not offside AS LONG AS THE SECOND PLAYER IS BEHIND THE FIRST.

I know i haven’t explained that well but I mean it’s the position of the players that counts. We’ve seen goals with two players through and the ball being played forward, but the other runs on to it from behind the other player.

EDIT - timing clash with robins reply but making same point
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ah of course. Thanks for explaining!
asl
Ben3 wrote:EDIT - timing clash with robins reply but making same point
Chuff me..........
Nesty
Stoz had a few moments !!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
Ben3 wrote:EDIT - timing clash with robins reply but making same point
Chuff me..........
Condolences.
SHANDY VOR
leohoenig wrote:It does not matter if the ball is moved forward or not, the law states
I'm sure there will be lots of debate on this over the internet, and I am not one to dig in and refuse to change my mind out of stubbornness, but I still don't understand your point and why this is not offside.

The offside player did not come back to retrieve the ball, it was consciously rolled/passed to him (albeit by the smallest of margins) as part of a set piece so clearly 'he was interfering with play' as he put in a goalscoring cross.

If I am wrong Leo please explain more clearly why
The Old TomCat
Fair bit of local interest in match with four players who had previously played for Gloucestershire clubs:
Curtis Tilt [FGR], Darren Carter [CTFC & FGR] Danny Wright [CTFC & FGR], Kyle Storer [CTFC].
I thought the off-side goal was an excellent strike and had same opinion as studio panel that it should have stood. But I did notice that the linesmans flag immediately went up and when Darren Carter asked him about it he accepted the explanation without demur.
Correct decision but in this case - law an ass.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I do wonder how many times each Saturday such an offside should be given. More teams seem to be trying such corner routines, and more teams are no longer using men on the posts, so could quite easily be an incident like that in every match every week. Now it has been flagged, I wonder if we’ll see it being called up more.
Si Robin
SHANDY VOR wrote:
I'm sure there will be lots of debate on this over the internet, and I am not one to dig in and refuse to change my mind out of stubbornness, but I still don't understand your point and why this is not offside.

The offside player did not come back to retrieve the ball, it was consciously rolled/passed to him (albeit by the smallest of margins) as part of a set piece so clearly 'he was interfering with play' as he put in a goalscoring cross.

If I am wrong Leo please explain more clearly why
Leo didn't say it wasn't offside, did he?
leohoenig
No, I said it was offside - the point was that the "ball moved forward" discussion was a red herring.

When the ball was touched, then a player in an offside position will be deemed offside if he is the next person to touch the ball
This is regardless of whether or not the ball is moved when touched, or the direction of the ball's movement
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hopefully the players can re-create the spirit of Wrighty from 2016 when we made April Fools of Grimsby.

One of the most memorable nights at WR after which even the pessimists and doubters had to accept we were were Champions.

If the team and fans this weekend can recreate that intensity then the whole club will be rocking going into the Christmas period and January window.