Hard Copy Echo sales?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
I wonder if there are any stats regarding hard copy Echo sales. As a household we used to have the Echo delivered daily (incl Saturday). but when it went weekly we cancelled. Many we speak to stopped having it delivered. Tied in with the other unknown regarding what % of Robins Fans are on the internet even if they read the weekly Echo (printed on a Thursday) have the club lost an information source vital to its survival?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It is one of those negative spirals. Poor sales so produce less. Which leads to worse sales. Repeat until bankruptcy.
horlickfanclub
I still buy it.
paperboy
....and unsurprisingly I do too. :-)
Jerry St Clair
Here's the data for Q4 2017.

https://www.abc.org.uk/Certificates/49161304.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
cheers Jerry it would be interesting to know what it is now
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
How different is the paper content from the online content? To survive the paper needs to offer stuff you can’t get online.
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:How different is the paper content from the online content? To survive the paper needs to offer stuff you can’t get online.

indeed, and also it goes back to what % of people who read the Echo have internet, what % are Robins fans etc
Shade
I haven't seen a copy of the Echo since it went weekly. What does it have in it about CTFC? All of the online articles that have been posted during the week, or a couple + a match report? It's a bit of a shame there's no weekly sports paper that just has all of the articles on Glos Rugby, Glos CCC, CTFC, FGR, and all other sporting news from clubs in the area.
Nesty
Last job I had before I retired in 2014 was at a publishing company - sales of hard copy print plummeted with the advent of the WWW.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:Last job I had before I retired in 2014 was at a publishing company - sales of hard copy print plummeted with the advent of the WWW.
Yes, though interestingly the last two years have seen book sales increase again to high levels. Making access easier via digitalisation has actually encouraged more people to read and buy books.

Same as how vinyl record sales are increasing now that more people are downloading and streaming, that travel for face to face business meetings and demand for shared office space is increasing alongside more remote working and virtual meetings.
Shade
Great things always come back into fashion, such as owning vinyl and books. The novelty of some digital things will wear off.

Not newspapers, though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Great things always come back into fashion, such as owning vinyl and books. The novelty of some digital things will wear off.

Not newspapers, though.
Indeed, partly due to their disposable nature. Books and vinyls are things to be kept, passed on, shared, or traded. Papers are out of date within hours of purchase, so why bother.

Only exception is weekend supplements, including sport, which has content it is difficult to find online and can be read during the following days or weeks.
Nesty
Shade wrote:Great things always come back into fashion, such as owning vinyl and books. The novelty of some digital things will wear off.

Not newspapers, though.
what will wee wrap our fish & chips in, and put in the bottom of bird cages?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:

Not newspapers, though.
what will wee wrap our fish & chips in, and put in the bottom of bird cages?
Weekend supplements! As much as the FT weekend has some supps I spend the following week reading, some go straight into the guinea pig hutch untouched when it gets cleaned out every Saturday.
Fuller
How we miss dear old Derek Goddard with his daily news on the back page about the latest signing from Bromsgrove Rovers or Ton Pentre.

and the Green 'Un too ....

:(
Nesty
Fuller wrote:How we miss dear old Derek Goddard with his daily news on the back page about the latest signing from Bromsgrove Rovers or Ton Pentre.

and the Green 'Un too ....

:(
ahhhhhh the days when you didnt know the score of Saturday away games until the Echo dropped on the mat on Monday evening !! )or the day after for midweek games